Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Card Closing!!

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Marvel card discontinued?

@SecretAzure wrote:

Question: I heard of many people keeping a balance on the Wayfair card to have it reporting as active for a longer period of time. Should we do the same?

My question from earlier in the thread got lost so I'll ask my question again. Smiley Happy This is my newest card and hit 2 years yesterday, I guess to congratulate me on the hard pull leaving my report they decided to close it. Smiley LOL

Is it helpful to keep a balance on this card to space out the closure date? And if so, what are the pros and cons of doing so? 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 71 of 114
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

Question: I heard of many people keeping a balance on the Wayfair card to have it reporting as active for a longer period of time. Should we do the same?

My question from earlier in the thread got lost so I'll ask my question again. Smiley Happy This is my newest card and hit 2 years yesterday, I guess to congratulate me on the hard pull leaving my report they decided to close it. Smiley LOL

Is it helpful to keep a balance on this card to space out the closure date? And if so, what are the pros and cons of doing so? 

There's no point unless you're trying to space out AAoA for future card closures. It will still report for about 10 years. 

Message 72 of 114
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I was intending to space out a closure but I didn't realize that the last closure I had was from mid-2017. The last couple of years have been a blur to me. This probably won't have any effect on things for me in the long run.

Thank you for your help! Smiley Happy 

I'll go sit in my corner and celebrate my Garden Diamond now!

It's nice when the card you're considering closing is the one that closes. No more balancing a small charge on yet another card that is no longer very useful! 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 73 of 114
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: Marvel Card Closing!!

Just from watching the forums for as long as I have......it always seems like Synchrony and Commenity do this. I have paid attention over the years and have intentionally avoided both lender families specifically for this reason. (I still got bit by Barclay Uber when they nerfed to Uber pts, but that's another scar from a story long gone.)

Why don't people just avoid these lenders? Their patterns and history speak for themselves.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 74 of 114
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

Just from watching the forums for as long as I have......it always seems like Synchrony and Commenity do this. I have paid attention over the years and have intentionally avoided both lender families specifically for this reason. (I still got bit by Barclay Uber when they nerfed to Uber pts, but that's another scar from a story long gone.)

Why don't people just avoid these lenders? Their patterns and history speak for themselves.

Sometimes the cards are worth the risk. My Amazon card, I have earned $41.19 on $823.80 in Amazon purchases this year so far. The same amount of purchases would only get me $24.71 on my AOD 3% card. 

Marvel was a unique rewards structure. I got it because at the time it fit a niche in my entertainment spend but it did indeed get SD'd when I got my AOD card or it would have gotten more use. 

Cards come and go. I'll get the ones that net me the most immediate benefit and replace them as needed. 

Message 75 of 114
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Taurus22 wrote:

These 2 banks you have mentioned here have the bulk of their business based on affinity cards and they are 2 of 3 biggest issuers of affinity cards in the country, the third is Elan Financial. So if you are going to want an affinity card with a name brand you most likely are going to be dealing with one of these 2 issuers. Barclays is a neophyte compared to these other 3 and they never seem to be able to gain traction in the US market.

Message 76 of 114
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Andypanda wrote:

@credit_is_crack wrote:

I Knew It! My gut never steers me wrong. So looks like the Marvel card is closing on 05/27...be on the lookout for the emails. Now I don't feel bad, at all, about skimming that recent CLI from them lol 

Marvel.png

Intrestung, within a month both the marvel and DC power visa card are  being closed.

I'm still salty I never got my Wonder Woman card. 😔 

Ditto. 👎👎

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 77 of 114
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

So I just called over the phone and closed it out. Took 2 min tops. It still let me do it in the automated system and it reflected online pretty instantly. This takes me down to zero sync cards. 

Sorry to see it go but so long my Marvel card. 

Message 78 of 114
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_is_crack wrote:

So I just called over the phone and closed it out. Took 2 min tops. It still let me do it in the automated system and it reflected online pretty instantly. This takes me down to zero sync cards. 

Yeah I'm gonna call next month after I do my US Bank app. Axing Marvel and Target before they get closed and I get my first "closed by grantor" remarks Smiley Surprised

Message 79 of 114
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@credit_is_crack wrote:

Yeah I'm gonna call next month after I do my US Bank app. Axing Marvel and Target before they get closed and I get my first "closed by grantor" remarks Smiley Surprised

The closed by grantor means diddly-squat.Smiley LOL 

Take it from someone who's obtained many lines with that statement showing active on my CRs.

Message 80 of 114
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.