Did you mean: 

Master Synchrony Account Closure Thread

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Master Synchrony Account Closure Thread

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Basically, I have zero chance of having my account reopened, do I?

Unfortunately, you're correct. 

For what it's worth don't take it personally or as a reflection on how lenders in general view you.  People with profiles across the entire spectrum of possibilties had the same thing happen to them.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 701 of 1,099
MacCreed
Valued Member

Sync gonna Sync, that's what's happening.   

Message 702 of 1,099
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MacCreed wrote:

Sync gonna Sync, that's what's happening.   

Parroting the same comments over and over seems to be counterproductive to the discussion.  It is certainly unfortunate that a lot of closures have been reported over the past few months.  That said, and based on this recent article listed below, not "sinking" at all.  

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-in-the-News/Synchrony-reports-Q3-earnings-added-almost-1-4M-...

Message 703 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony name has already been sunk but that doesn't matter for the company as they only make co-branded cards, abusing the reputation of other brands and physicians.  There has never been enough of an issue, imo until now, to actively look out for and avoid Synchrony.   They are really playing with fire, but if this thread is the only good source of information on how crap they are on the internet, they will likely continue to thrive.    

My friend just had his account closed on the same day he would have received his rewards points.  Fortunately I was able to warn him to stop using the card, avoiding a larger opportunity loss.

Message 704 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same happened to me today. Two accounts cancelled. I had accidentally made two large overpayments earlier this month resulting in a large debit ($5000+) that I've just been making purchases to counter it.

I keep $0 balances across all accounts, excellent credit history, and use less than 1% of all credit. When I called to demand an explanation they told me it had nothing to do with them and instead was due to a concern on my credit report. I spent an hour reviewing my report with transunion and everything is perfect. Absolutely no reason why this happened.

Oh, and Synchrony is also withholding issuing me a refund as a result from my large overpayment because it needs to be investigated further. In other words, they are holding onto thousands of my own money !

Credit score went down 11 points as a result of this closure too.

What can I do?

Message 705 of 1,099
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Same happened to me today. Two accounts cancelled. I had accidentally made two large overpayments earlier this month resulting in a large debit ($5000+) that I've just been making purchases to counter it.

I keep $0 balances across all accounts, excellent credit history, and use less than 1% of all credit. When I called to demand an explanation they told me it had nothing to do with them and instead was due to a concern on my credit report. I spent an hour reviewing my report with transunion and everything is perfect. Absolutely no reason why this happened.

Oh, and Synchrony is also withholding issuing me a refund as a result from my large overpayment because it needs to be investigated further. In other words, they are holding onto thousands of my own money !

Credit score went down 11 points as a result of this closure too.

What can I do?

Unfortunately, not much that can be done as far as SYNCB reconsidering the reopening of the accounts.

Since the overpayment created an out-of-pattern condition with your account, they're simply going by internal policy before they can release the funds back to you.  You can try escalating the situation politely to a supervisor to see whether those funds can be released sooner.

Message 706 of 1,099
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

CK notified me earlier this evening that synchrony closed my container store account. $5K limit, last used in October 2019?, 0% balance promo paid off at the beginning of May. I actually have the card in my wallet because I was planning to stop and make a purchase after work in the morning. I'm not really surprised, as I just had a new SUV report that really skews my DTI right now (I'm a cosigner). Out of all of my synchrony accounts, I care about this one the least. 🤷 I'm not upset, just annoyed, but business is business. 🙄

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 707 of 1,099
Established Member

Has anyone tracked any data points on those who have had accounts closed? Just curious since I really don't want to read this entire thread. I have one Synchrony account, which I don't want closed solely because it dates backs to 1994. Once the pandemic started, I decided it was probably risky to use cards only every few months so I've been putting multiple charges on it each month since March, but nothing big. Monthly spend on it is ~$25-40. I'm hoping that and good scores are enough.

Message 708 of 1,099
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@91173 wrote:

Has anyone tracked any data points on those who have had accounts closed? Just curious since I really don't want to read this entire thread. I have one Synchrony account, which I don't want closed solely because it dates backs to 1994. Once the pandemic started, I decided it was probably risky to use cards only every few months so I've been putting multiple charges on it each month since March, but nothing big. Monthly spend on it is ~$25-40. I'm hoping that and good scores are enough.

if you only have one card, you shouldnt have to worry. Kudos on a cc from 1994Smiley Wink

Message 709 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

closed :(closed Smiley Sad

Closed as of today, I guess?

Probably for 6 months inactivity.. or spamming CLI requests, dunno

My PPMC and PPC lines still fully open, though my MC hasn't worked online or at registers in months lol. 

Message 710 of 1,099
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.