Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastercards w/current sign-up bonus?

tag
wwalter2718
Established Member

Mastercards w/current sign-up bonus?

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any current sign-up bonus offers for cards that are (or can be) issued as Mastercards? I'm looking to take advantage of the Masterpass promotion by Plastiq, whereby you can make payments to (in my case) student loans without the usual 2.5% Plastiq processing fee as long as you use a Mastercard via Masterpass. 

I'd prefer just cashback/statement credit (because the bonus is going to the student loan as well), but miles, etc. might be an option if the offer is good.

I'm already heavily exercising my DoubleCash, but of course only get the 2% cashback on that.  It would be nice to pick up a bonus along the way to paying down my loan...  If all else fails, I *could* just make straight payments from checking to student loan, but where's the fun in that? 

I'm pretty-many/24 and have no green checkmarks at the moment, so even if Chase does MCs, it's not an option for me.

Thanks for any info...

D

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mastercards w/current sign-up bonus?

You can look into a variety of MC products with ongoing SUBs for lenders like HSBC, BMO Harris, Key Bank, Bank of America, etc.
Message 2 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I would examine the offerings of Citi (AA, maybe TY Premier) and Barclaycard (Arrival+ but probably not Arrival Premier, several airlines).

Incidentally, Chase does issue two IHG cards as MC.

Or did I misunderstand and you're only looking at debit or prepaid products?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 9
wwalter2718
Established Member

True, but (for instance) if I look at BofA, I can see there's a SUB for the Cash Rewards, but it takes scrolling down to the fine print (or, I guess, a control-F) to determine if this is a Mastercard or not (turns out it is).  They don't bother specifying anywhere obvious, and normally I wouldn't care or even notice, so I'm not sure who normally issues MCs and who does Visas.  

I was just hoping anybody with *recent experience* could give me a pointer off the top of the head; I wasn't asking anybody to do my research for me 8-).  Sorry if I gave that impression.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 4 of 9
wwalter2718
Established Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for...  I'll look into those issuers and see what's what.   I guess I have heard of using prepaid/debit through Plastiq, but with the current Masterpass promo, Mastercard *credit* products are fee-free (with restrictions on amount/pmt, but so far no limit on number of payments made), so that's what it pays to use...

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the Plastiq Masterpass promotion. Ends September 30.  Fees waived on the first $250 of any invoice.

My Chase IHG card is coming in soon.  I will knock out the $3K SUB spending requirement with one mortgage payment and one car payment plus a couple of bills or two car payments.  Good to know I will avoid Plastiq fees on $500-$750.

Once car payments have been processed, I can then meet Visa SUB spending requirements with future car payments on Plastiq.  My rewards game is about to go to a different level.

Message 6 of 9
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

The two Chase IHG cards are both MC and are not affected by 5/24.

[2/2019]
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 Savor and Citi TY Premiere are 2 mastercards with excellent current SUBS. Savor has 500 after 3k spend while Premiere has 60k TY points after 4K spend.

Message 8 of 9
darkpearl
Regular Contributor

HSBC rewards master card? It is $150 after $500. Terrible website though.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.