Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maurice's Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maurice's Credit Card

Hello all!

So my SO is thinking of applying for a Maurice account and I wanted some thoughts.

She has a Kohl's in good standing and both are Cap 1. She has one recent inquiry for a student loan and then her others (2 others) are over a year out. She does have a fico in the low 700 with one card at like 92% utilization. No derogs.

The question is what do you think approval odds are or should she wait until Dec to have a few inquires drop off?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Maurice's Credit Card

How is her Debt-to-Income ratio? 

The thing that most concerns me most is that high utilization of 92%.

Depending on other debts (car loans, mortage, student loans etc.) versus her reported income, they might consider her overly stressed.

For a store credit card, I would think her FICO would be fine.

They tend to be a little more relaxed for those.

Three inquiries should not be a problem either. 

Overall, I think she would be fine to apply now as long as DTI is not a concern.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all!

So my SO is thinking of applying for a Maurice account and I wanted some thoughts.

She has a Kohl's in good standing and both are Cap 1. She has one recent inquiry for a student loan and then her others (2 others) are over a year out. She does have a fico in the low 700 with one card at like 92% utilization. No derogs.

The question is what do you think approval odds are or should she wait until Dec to have a few inquires drop off?

Ascena sold a majority stake of Maurices to OpCapita a few months ago, so hopefully Maurices should at least continue to operate (with some store closures, perhaps) in the very possible event Ascena goes bankrupt. I don't know much about OpCapita or its finances.

I don't know Maurices well, but in the absence of a bonus I would want a bit more visibility about a retailer's future before I got a store card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

IMHO, your SO should not apply for anything until that UT is <28.9%, even better if <8.9%. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all she is going to hold off for a bit.

Interesting about the buyout though I will let her know that!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.