Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Number of Chase Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Max Number of Chase Cards

Can I have more than 5 Chase Personal cards if I wait more than 24 months?

Thanks

Its friday, Eat Some PIZZA!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Max Number of Chase Cards

Chase doesn't limit number of cards but they do limit exposure. In any case unless you actually plan to use that many Chase cards I wouldn't recommend it. Don't give them any excuse to scrutinize your accounts with how twitchy they've been lately.

Message 2 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Chase doesn't limit number of cards but they do limit exposure. In any case unless you actually plan to use that many Chase cards I wouldn't recommend it. Don't give them any excuse to scrutinize your accounts with how twitchy they've been lately.

This. 

It's not unheard of to hold more than 5 Chase cards simultaneously, but the most successful cardholders tend to have a roadmap choreographed and executed which includes planned spacing-out of applications and user-initiated credit line decreases to tightly manage total exposure. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Until recently I had 8 Chase credit cards, not including AU cards, last month Chase closed one of them for non-use. Now down to 7. 

Don't think they have a limit, if you have the income and credit score to deserve them. They do limit you to less than 50% of your annual income  in total credit limits across your chase credit cards. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a little over the 50% mark. Recent southwest card I think pushed them to the max.

I want to PC to the Ritz Carlton card eventually.

I have a legitimate business and want to get the business marriott card before it goes away.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamesdwi wrote:

Until recently I had 8 Chase credit cards, not including AU cards, last month Chase closed one of them for non-use. Now down to 7. 

Don't think they have a limit, if you have the income and credit score to deserve them. They do limit you to less than 50% of your annual income  in total credit limits across your chase credit cards. 

Does the closed card have annual fee? I wonder if Chase will close non-use cards with annual fee. I don't use my IHG card regularly.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

Does the closed card have annual fee? I wonder if Chase will close non-use cards with annual fee. I don't use my IHG card regularly.

I think it is ideal to use a card every 3-6 months. It's easy to automate it. Automatic top up Amazon balance > card on autopay.

Better safe than sorry

Message 7 of 9
Merlin3482
Contributor

Chase has no rule against more than 5 cards.

Message 8 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

not likely, they know they will see activity on the card at least once a year, when you pay the fee. 

The card of mine that they closed was a  Chase Freedom, it started life out several years ago as an Amtrak card converted to Freedom a few years back, don't think i  used it even once in the last 4 years. They sent me an email about 2-3 months before it was closed, I moved $4000 of its credit limit to my CSR card and let it close, haven't been bothered to keep track of the 5% category in a while. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.