cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum amount of time for a debit card payment to clear?

tag
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Maximum amount of time for a debit card payment to clear?

Does td bank have online banking? If so go in there and go to pending charges in your debit account. It should have a "what is pending charges?" In there...click it and it should tell you the days the merchant has to process the final amount and what happens it they dont do it in that time.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 11 of 18
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@injustifiiable wrote:

I have a similar issue with my credit card...my favorite bar's POS system double charged me by accident.

The correct transactions have already posted but the erroneous transactions are still pending. I called them up and they said that it will drop off automatically in 8 days if the merchant doesn't update or settle them.

Good luck!

There's a bar here that does that too. I was very worried when the first time it happened, but it seems to happen every time I go there, one always falls off though. 

It was really strange. They usually DON'T double-auth it but it seems like their computers have a hiccup once in a while.

Even if it did post, I know well enough to be like "well, my tab for tonight is covered by the double charge." lol

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 12 of 18
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

IME with a TD Bank account, it looks like one of three things happen:

• A pending tranaction shows up for an low amount, like $1, and then get deducted when the merchant does their settle for the day (This has happened to me as gas stations, for instance)
  • A pending transaction shows up for the amount authorized, and then posts 1 -2 days afterwards (again, usually after the merchant does their settle for the day)
  • A pending transaction doesn't show up at all in online banking, but posts to the account after the settlement has been performed.

Most PIN transactions post right away, since those don't have to travel through the Visa network.

First order of business is to check online banking.

By chance, those merchants didn't use those old knuckle-buster CC machines, did they? Just a thought...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 13 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

Sorry don't know the answer to your question but you say you used an "APP" on iPhone? What is it called?

MOD can this be posted? or just Private the info to me if you don't mind.

There shouldn't be a problem with it.

Message 14 of 18
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I would bet you would get better info if you called the merchant and asked when they are going to process the payment, rather than calling your bank.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 15 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I would bet you would get better info if you called the merchant and asked when they are going to process the payment, rather than calling your bank.

Good luck calling the actual store in a theme park

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried calling the store; no luck.  They just scratched their heads.   

The App I mentioned above is a free Android app called Loot.   I don't know if it's available for iPhones.  But I love it!  You can set up multiple "accounts".  What we did on vacation was we decided we were going to spend X amount every day; included food, snacks, etc.  So before we left I created one account for each day we were there, and "deposited" our set amount into each day.  After each transaction I immediately entered it in.  That way when it was later in the day, and we wanted to buy something, we could immediately see what we had spent and what we had left for that day.   If we knew we still had to pay for dinner, we could easily see if it was not financially a good idea to spend money on a souvenir.  Because we preset our budget before we went, we were able to buy a few souvenirs and feel satisfied with our purchases!

I also use the app at Christmas time.  We make a list of who we need to buy for, and what we want to spend on each person.  Then I create an account for each.  It has made the last two years of Christmas shopping so much easier!

Message 17 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info, Loot sounds good app for my trip to Vegas in a few months

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.