cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?

soloman
Established Contributor

Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?

Amex only approved me for a $1000 limit for the Delta card the other day.  The offer I was approved under says, "Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months". I have a bill for insurance renewal for $1000 that is due right now.  I want to charge to the Delta card and then pay it as soon as the charge posts.  This quickly takes care of the bonus qualification.  However,  is it a bad thing to max the card?  Will maxing the card hurt me when it comes time for 3X CLI?  Seems to me it demonstrates the need for an inrease. I desparetly need to get this very low limit increased as fast as possible for upcoming summer trips.  I can't jeopraddize that.

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $6K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $6K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $6K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?

As long as you pay your card you can use in any way you want it.

 

There are people that get Amex with $1,000 that max the card a couple of times a month and pay it down and get the CLI to $3,000 after 61 days.

Message 2 of 10
soloman
Established Contributor

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?


@newhis wrote:

As long as you pay your card you can use in any way you want it.

 

There are people that get Amex with $1,000 that max the card a couple of times a month and pay it down and get the CLI to $3,000 after 61 days.


Thank you! That is good news.

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $6K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $6K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $6K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
Message 3 of 10
Harley14
Valued Contributor

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?

When I got my Amex with the 150$ statement credit. My limit was 1000. I charged 1100 on it for a gun safe. I did the check spending, said I'd it would be approved. Then just paid it all off after the purchase. Have had no problems with Amex when I did it.

EQ688
TU700
EX707

Message 4 of 10
soloman
Established Contributor

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?


@Harley14 wrote:
When I got my Amex with the 150$ statement credit. My limit was 1000. I charged 1100 on it for a gun safe. I did the check spending, said I'd it would be approved. Then just paid it all off after the purchase. Have had no problems with Amex when I did it.

You went over your limit? Amex didn't somehow penalize you?

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $6K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $6K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $6K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?

They don't penalize you.  You have to click "check spending power" and type in what amount you want to spend (excess of your limit) and they'll tell you if you are approved to do so.  From their FAQ:  "Based on your credit profile and spending habits, we may approve you temporarily to spend more than your credit limit. There is no fee for going over your credit limit."

 

Message 6 of 10
soloman
Established Contributor

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?


@Anonymous wrote:

They don't penalize you.  You have to click "check spending power" and type in what amount you want to spend (excess of your limit) and they'll tell you if you are approved to do so.  From their FAQ:  "Based on your credit profile and spending habits, we may approve you temporarily to spend more than your credit limit. There is no fee for going over your credit limit."

 


For kicks, I just checked the spending power on my measly $1000 limit Delta and checked for $1200. Denied! It said partial approval at $1000 but not $1200. The funny thing is,  I checked the spending power on my PRG and it Ok's a $5000 purchase.  LOL

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $6K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $6K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $6K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
Message 7 of 10
HeavenOhio
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?

AMEX has a "spending power" feature that may allow you to exceed your limit. Hit the "Check Spending Power" link next to your available credit to check it out. You'll see this description:

 

"You may be approved to temporarily spend over your credit limit, but any overlimit transactions will increase your Minimum Payment Due."

 

Also, AMEX has limits as far a the number of payments you can make during the first month your bank account is hooked up. If you need to exceed these limits, you'll need to push payments from your bank.

 

You might want to hop into chat or make a call to clarify these things. I don't think you'll have any problem making the charge and paying it down, but you should make sure you don't encounter any surprises. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
soloman
Established Contributor

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?


@HeavenOhio wrote:

AMEX has a "spending power" feature that may allow you to exceed your limit. Hit the "Check Spending Power" link next to your available credit to check it out. You'll see this description:

 

"You may be approved to temporarily spend over your credit limit, but any overlimit transactions will increase your Minimum Payment Due."

 

Also, AMEX has limits as far a the number of payments you can make during the first month your bank account is hooked up. If you need to exceed these limits, you'll need to push payments from your bank.

 

You might want to hop into chat or make a call to clarify these things. I don't think you'll have any problem making the charge and paying it down, but you should make sure you don't encounter any surprises. Smiley Happy


Good Idea!

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $6K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $6K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $6K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
Message 9 of 10
WaveRider
Established Contributor

Re: Maxing card harms Amex 3X CLI?

I would do it but I would pay it off the next day.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.