cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing out Credit Card then Paying in Full?

tag
andiruleu
New Visitor

Maxing out Credit Card then Paying in Full?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and I hope this is in the right place for this question.

I was wondering if it is bad to pay for something in your credit card that will almost max it out, but pay the credit card in full right after? I'm doing this to so I can rack up points on my credit card. I know that its only good idea to use 1/3 of your credit limit. But in this case, if I decide to pay my credit card back in full say the next day or even right after the purchase, is it bad?

Thanks

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59
ac921ol
Frequent Contributor

Re: Maxing out Credit Card then Paying in Full?

Its fine as long as your statement doesnt cut with the balance on it.

12/28/13 (Garden Start Date)

Message 2 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@andiruleu wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if it is bad to pay for something in your credit card that will almost max it out, but pay the credit card in full right after? I'm doing this to so I can rack up points on my credit card. I know that its only good idea to use 1/3 of your credit limit. But in this case, if I decide to pay my credit card back in full say the next day or even right after the purchase, is it bad?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum

Not bad at all as long as your not letting a maxed out card report which would lower scores in that case other than that RACK UP THE POINTS 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 60
LittleMsLaur

I wouldn't hesitate to. It's a rewards card...that's the point. Now if you were to use that and hold off paying until the next day but the statement cut before you did and showed you with a high limit, that would lower your score. But as far as using it and paying it off right after, you should be good.
FICO: 772 (11/2013) TU:760 (11/2013)

AMEX BCE: 10k
Kohl's Charge: 2k
Chase Freedom: 3k
Discover IT: 7.5k
VS Angel Card: 1k
Message 4 of 60
andiruleu
New Visitor

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Also, @myjourney, I have that quote "Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education" in my email signature hehe 

Message 5 of 60
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@andiruleu wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

Either way it is bad to max out a card, even close to it even if you pay in full. Never do that.  To a creditor it looks like you can max out a card with the possibility of not paying it back. I wouldn't recommend doing it even if someone disagrees.

Message 6 of 60
andiruleu
New Visitor

Even if I pay it off right after? The other people are saying its fine?

Message 7 of 60
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

People give different answers and it's really whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally wouldn't max out a card.. it doesn't look good even if you pay it off in full when you get the bill. You don't pay the bill before you get it. 

Message 8 of 60
myjourney
Super Contributor

@andiruleu wrote:

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Also, @myjourney, I have that quote "Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education" in my email signature hehe 

Words to live by BravoSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 60
Beane
Regular Contributor

@killer_queen229 wrote:

People give different answers and it's really whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally wouldn't max out a card.. it doesn't look good even if you pay it off in full when you get the bill. You don't pay the bill before you get it. 

I think many people pay on their account before the bills cut.  I tend to make multiple payments during the month before the bill cuts.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 10 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.