May Credit AMA [Ask Me Anything] live with user @Baller4life

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: May Credit AMA [Ask Me Anything] live with user @Baller4life

@baller4life wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to our esteemed guest Baller (crowd goes wild)Heart

For those that don't know (I do) Baller came to the forum like a hurricane soaking up knowledge and applying it.

She never ever gave up and when she hit a roadblock she went and got a chainsaw (seriously)Smiley Wink

I watched you get help with fixing CR's and from there follow a step by step plan to success

So can you chart your progress from RYC to CC where you're now a CC baller?

Ok I have to ask even tho I know the answer but for others to learn ....LolSmiley Tongue

In your transition from RYC to CC's did you get caught up in CC's and what would you tell others?

What top 5 steps would you give a newbie to succeed?

I am so proud of you and it was truly my pleasure to see you grow along the way and the most important thing I noticed along your journey is you have never stopped passing it forward

You have always extended your hand down to others to pull them up....Bravo

Now that you're around hell I can retire now ….you got this women

Awwww thank you so very much MJ. You have truly been an inspiration to me. Anytime I needed help I could always count on you. And for that I am greatly appreciative.

First of all, I most certainly got caught up in the CC madness when I first transitioned. So many cards to choose from. It was like being a kid in a candy store.

The top 5 steps I would give a newbie to succeed is:

1) Write down a plan of what type of cards you want in your portfolio. Cashback,travel etc.

2)DO NOT go Comenity SCT crazy. If you must apply, no more than 2 or 3.

3)Rebuilding is a two fold process. Build your credit card portfolio at the same time you work on baddies. 

4)Starting out do not go app crazy. Three or four cards tops! You don't want to do great damage to your AAOA while you are starting out.

5)READ and ABSORB all the knowledge you can on Myfico. There is a wealth of information here. 

How many credit cards did you apply for? How the transioning period? Did you find it difficult?

Message 11 of 72
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Do you ever feel the forum encourages apping? I've seen you, among many others and myself at times, setting a gardening goal and having setbacks. It's not an attack as we've all done it. I'm just curious if you have any thoughts about peoples impulses on the forum.
Message 12 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for playing tonight Baller!

What was your first CC?

Message 13 of 72
baller4life
Super Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

hi baller! what advice do you have for people who have an itchy finger to apply for a lot of cards? Do you mind sharing how many cards you have? 

I currently have 18 cards. And will probably be cutting that down to under 15. What helps me with the app itch is freezing my reports lol. I also try to think ahead to goal cards and set up a plan for when I want to app. I download the cc image to my phone and keep it in a folder named Goal cards. Gives me something to strive for ya know? 

Message 14 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome Baller, we're delighted to have you here tonight Smiley Wink....... I have been reading a lot of your post and enjoy them very much. Who is going forget the Discover Train? No body in this forum Smiley Very Happy.. The only question that I have for you is more for the new members of forum. What can you tell us about your succes? What was your biggest  goal/achievement?

Message 15 of 72
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Hello Baller,

Three questions for you:

What would you say was your best move related to credit?

What experience did you learn the most from related to the management of credit?

And finally, what would your favorite credit card be? (either a current card you have or one that you may be aspiring too)

Thanks.

Message 16 of 72
ddemari
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@ddemari wrote:

hi baller! what advice do you have for people who have an itchy finger to apply for a lot of cards? Do you mind sharing how many cards you have? 

I currently have 18 cards. And will probably be cutting that down to under 15. What helps me with the app itch is freezing my reports lol. I also try to think ahead to goal cards and set up a plan for when I want to app. I download the cc image to my phone and keep it in a folder named Goal cards. Gives me something to strive for ya know? 

good advice! goal cards and thinking head all makes sense as having a good strategy like you said is key. 

Message 17 of 72
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to our esteemed guest Baller (crowd goes wild)Heart

For those that don't know (I do) Baller came to the forum like a hurricane soaking up knowledge and applying it.

She never ever gave up and when she hit a roadblock she went and got a chainsaw (seriously)Smiley Wink

I watched you get help with fixing CR's and from there follow a step by step plan to success

So can you chart your progress from RYC to CC where you're now a CC baller?

Ok I have to ask even tho I know the answer but for others to learn ....LolSmiley Tongue

In your transition from RYC to CC's did you get caught up in CC's and what would you tell others?

What top 5 steps would you give a newbie to succeed?

I am so proud of you and it was truly my pleasure to see you grow along the way and the most important thing I noticed along your journey is you have never stopped passing it forward

You have always extended your hand down to others to pull them up....Bravo

Now that you're around hell I can retire now ….you got this women

Awwww thank you so very much MJ. You have truly been an inspiration to me. Anytime I needed help I could always count on you. And for that I am greatly appreciative.

First of all, I most certainly got caught up in the CC madness when I first transitioned. So many cards to choose from. It was like being a kid in a candy store.

The top 5 steps I would give a newbie to succeed is:

1) Write down a plan of what type of cards you want in your portfolio. Cashback,travel etc.

2)DO NOT go Comenity SCT crazy. If you must apply, no more than 2 or 3.

3)Rebuilding is a two fold process. Build your credit card portfolio at the same time you work on baddies. 

4)Starting out do not go app crazy. Three or four cards tops! You don't want to do great damage to your AAOA while you are starting out.

5)READ and ABSORB all the knowledge you can on Myfico. There is a wealth of information here. 

How many credit cards did you apply for? How the transioning period? Did you find it difficult?

I started out with Cap One secured. Then Victoria Secret. Then my world absolute changed forever when I joined Navy Federal and was approved for their Cashrewards. Then I apped Bank of America secured, which was also a gamechanger for me. Those were my base cards. The transitioning period wasn't difficult at all cause I had so much help here on the board. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 72
ddemari
Super Contributor

I remember your success with boa! Sounds like you have defintiey come a long way! What is your #1 goal card right now?
Message 19 of 72
baller4life
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Do you ever feel the forum encourages apping? I've seen you, among many others and myself at times, setting a gardening goal and having setbacks. It's not an attack as we've all done it. I'm just curious if you have any thoughts about peoples impulses on the forum.

Yes I feel the forum encourages apping. It's very difficult especially in the Approvals section, to not see all the threads and compare your profile to those being approved and think "hey I can get that card too". You really have to have self control in order to not go app crazy and get yourself in a world of trouble.

Message 20 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.