cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bills, Again! Need a high CL card now.

tag
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Medical Bills, Again! Need a high CL card now.

So I just bought my car and after being screwed over by the first dealership I tried, I'm stuck with 30 inquiries. I just made my first payment 2 weeks ago and 70% of my credit cards are over 60% UTI.

Primarily because of the last time I landed at the ER, Which was 2 times in 1 day and the first time I had to call an ambulance, So it added up to around $7,000 in bills which I loaded into my cards and have been trying to pay them off... However I was at the ER yesterday once again and with no insurance, Due to stroke symptoms appearing for the past week but it got worse the night before yesterday, While at work I felt nauseated, weak on my left side, Sharp pain a bit above my left elbow, severe headache left side of my face was going numb/drooping and I couldn't breathe properly as well as terible chest pain.

I ignored it, It lasted 30 minutes and when it went away, I was REALLY tired... Even though I had only been awake for 2 hours from 8 hours of sleep... I got lucky we were in a shutdown and I slept for 4 hours and felt much better. when I got home, The symptoms kept coming back, Left arm weakness/tingling and the left side of my face kept drooping. I got scared and asked my sister to take me to the ER...

Had an EKG done, Blood work and a cat scan. Everything came back normal, He says I have severe anxiety and gave me lorazepam, 2MG and I was relaxed as hell. So he prescribed me enough for 5 days... 

Anyways, I was barely able to cover last times medical expenses and this time I can easily guess it'll be around $5,000 in bills so I need a card that will get me that >_<.

Advice?  My score has dropped due to the inquiries and the high debt... and I can handle some more debt, But It would mean the end of the world to me if I couldn't pay my medical bills and had to go bankrupt. My credit has been an addiction for me for 3 years, I've been working hard, But stuff like this keeps holding me back. I really need 1 last card in order to avoid bankruptycy =/

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Re: Medical Bills, Again! Need a high CL card now.

Its going to be tough to get a 0% promo credit card with 60% utilization, but I'm sure you already know that.  If you could get your utilization down before applying that would be ideal.  Chase Slate and several of the Cap One cards would be good choices.  Also, not that I'm any type of medical expert, but I'd get a second opinion on your symptoms - I agree with you that they sound like classic stroke symptoms.  Very best of luck with both your health and your credit.

Message 2 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@RushXTC wrote:

So I just bought my car and after being screwed over by the first dealership I tried, I'm stuck with 30 inquiries. I just made my first payment 2 weeks ago and 70% of my credit cards are over 60% UTI.

Primarily because of the last time I landed at the ER, Which was 2 times in 1 day and the first time I had to call an ambulance, So it added up to around $7,000 in bills which I loaded into my cards and have been trying to pay them off... However I was at the ER yesterday once again and with no insurance, Due to stroke symptoms appearing for the past week but it got worse the night before yesterday, While at work I felt nauseated, weak on my left side, Sharp pain a bit above my left elbow, severe headache left side of my face was going numb/drooping and I couldn't breathe properly as well as terible chest pain.

I ignored it, It lasted 30 minutes and when it went away, I was REALLY tired... Even though I had only been awake for 2 hours from 8 hours of sleep... I got lucky we were in a shutdown and I slept for 4 hours and felt much better. when I got home, The symptoms kept coming back, Left arm weakness/tingling and the left side of my face kept drooping. I got scared and asked my sister to take me to the ER...

Had an EKG done, Blood work and a cat scan. Everything came back normal, He says I have severe anxiety and gave me lorazepam, 2MG and I was relaxed as hell. So he prescribed me enough for 5 days... 

Anyways, I was barely able to cover last times medical expenses and this time I can easily guess it'll be around $5,000 in bills so I need a card that will get me that >_<.

Advice?  My score has dropped due to the inquiries and the high debt... and I can handle some more debt, But It would mean the end of the world to me if I couldn't pay my medical bills and had to go bankrupt. My credit has been an addiction for me for 3 years, I've been working hard, But stuff like this keeps holding me back. I really need 1 last card in order to avoid bankruptycy =/

stop paying them with credit cards... all the hospitals can make in house payment arrangements for you spread out over a pretty decent timeframe and interest free!

Message 3 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

and why don't you get insurance now that it's available to you?

Message 4 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

My advice is to not run up credit cards or any other kind of credit for medical debt past what you can pay off in a month. You cannot be refused medical services because you owe them money in the ER it would be a federal crime to do so. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Like CA said, get insurance right now for future incidents.

Secondly, stop putting these payments on CCs unless you have a 0% promo. Work out a payment plan with the hospital. Otherwise, apply for Carecredit. They might be more lenient.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 18
rlx01
Established Contributor

Step 1: get insured.
Message 7 of 18
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Firstly, glad your ok and I hope you get the treatment you require. However, DO NOT charge your urgent medical bills to a credit card! As already noted the ER will not refuse services. Once you have had whatever treatment required make payment arrangements directly with the hospital. No need to bump your util and lower scores over ER bills.
Message 8 of 18
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Like CA said, get insurance right now for future incidents.

Secondly, stop putting these payments on CCs unless you have a 0% promo. Work out a payment plan with the hospital. Otherwise, apply for Carecredit. They might be more lenient.

I have $20,000 CL limit with carecredit, But only certain places take it.

Message 9 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Does your hospital take it? If they don't, then just make payment arrangements with them. Do get insured right away though. Insurance underwriting may take up to a month for the policy to go into effect.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.