Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical rewards

So my yearly out of pocket is coming up of 4k and I am wondering if anyone has a clever way of getting the most rewards of some kind out of it. I am just going to pay it off with my tax return like i do every year so interest is not an issue but if anyone has a way i can get the most out of it instead of using my cap1 with 1.5 back i would be so grateful. Thanks everyoneSmiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Medical rewards

IF you live within their footprint area, Synovus has a healthcare category for 3% on their rewards cards
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Care Credit for both my furry babies and myself. Although not a rewards card, they offer extended time to pay at zero interest. My dentist and eye doctor take the card. Oh, and my vet.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

So my yearly out of pocket is coming up of 4k and I am wondering if anyone has a clever way of getting the most rewards of some kind out of it. I am just going to pay it off with my tax return like i do every year so interest is not an issue but if anyone has a way i can get the most out of it instead of using my cap1 with 1.5 back i would be so grateful. Thanks everyoneSmiley Happy

It all depends on what cards you have. Very few cards I know have a healthcare category. So unless you have a 2% general spend cashback card or plus, that’s the best rate you can do at 1.5%.

Message 4 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

wrote:

It all depends on what cards you have. Very few cards I know have a healthcare category. So unless you have a 2% general spend cashback card or plus, that’s the best rate you can do at 1.5%.

I don't think any card has a healthcare category.  I think the best you can do is to use an across-the-board card that gives 1.5% or 2% for general spending.  You might be able to get 3% if you have the Discover It Miles card in its first year (doubling the 1.5% at year end) and your medical provider takes Discover.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

I don't think any card has a healthcare category.  I think the best you can do is to use an across-the-board card that gives 1.5% or 2% for general spending.  You might be able to get 3% if you have the Discover It Miles card in its first year (doubling the 1.5% at year end) and your medical provider takes Discover.

In 2016 and 2017 the old Citi Dividend MC had the second quarter categories that allowed for drug stores at 5% (not actual doctor visits). Did well by the category. Not in 2018 so ... lookin" ?

Message 6 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Are you contributing to an HSA and getting that deducted from taxable income? That would be the first step to rewards. Then pay your CC of choice with funds you pull from the HSA based on the receipts you have for medical expenses.

BTW, what health insurance program makes you pay your “out of pocket max” at the start of the year?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

wrote:
Are you contributing to an HSA and getting that deducted from taxable income? That would be the first step to rewards. Then pay your CC of choice with funds you pull from the HSA based on the receipts you have for medical expenses.

BTW, what health insurance program makes you pay your “out of pocket max” at the start of the year?

Plus, if you normally pay out of your tax refund, adjust witholding (if possible) so you aren't getting a refund!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not about the health plan, I get chemo and scan every other week so im already getting close to the limit lol. Thanks everyone for suggestions i really appreciate it.

Message 9 of 11
SBR249
Established Contributor

There are possibly a few more way to get some CB out of that healthcare spending:

1. If your doctor/provider take prepaid cards like Visa/MC gift cards, you can get something like an AmEx BCP which gives 6% CB on $6K/year of grocery spending with a $95 AF. Then you can buy those gift cards at grocery stores. You may also be able to do the same with 5% CB gas cards that allow for purchases at the attached convenience store at the same CB rate. Just be careful that you don't get hit with cash advance fees. 

2. If you have a lot of spending at drugstores and pharmacies there are cards out there with 5% CB at such places. 

Even if you get 5% CB on $4k spending a year, that's an extra $140/year. You can easily beat that just by doing an extra checking/savings account SUB or even churn a CC SUB (if you are comfortable doing that) if you aren't already. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.