Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting bonus spend while avoiding manufactured spend

tag
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Meeting bonus spend while avoiding manufactured spend

The OP said this "..Obviously, I would like to avoid this, so I am trying to avoid anything that might be seen as manufactured spend..."

Bottom line, it might be considered MS. It might not but if you're worried at all, then I wouldn't do this. If that's your main concern..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 41 of 53
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

When I was approved for the CSP in January last year, I waited until late February to complete my min spend requirement for the signup bonus. I initiated an estimated payment for my personal income taxes (half of the amount for state and the other half for federal). When the payment posted on my account a week later, I filed my taxes. About a month later, I received the whole amounts back as a refund via direct deposit. The same day I got the refunds, I turned around and paid the card in full. Spend requirement for signup bonus met...easy peasey!

This is the reason why I tend to apply for rewards card during the 1st quarter of the year.

Keep in mind there is a fee for paying taxes with credit cards which really cuts into the profit. Of course, sometimes that is worth it that is the only way your going to make the min spend.

But the rebate of the reward far outweighs this.

True, but if you can meet the spend in some other way you will have a much larger reward. I consider it more of a last resort to meet min spend. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 42 of 53
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@TravellingNomad wrote:

When I was approved for the CSP in January last year, I waited until late February to complete my min spend requirement for the signup bonus. I initiated an estimated payment for my personal income taxes (half of the amount for state and the other half for federal). When the payment posted on my account a week later, I filed my taxes. About a month later, I received the whole amounts back as a refund via direct deposit. The same day I got the refunds, I turned around and paid the card in full. Spend requirement for signup bonus met...easy peasey!

This is the reason why I tend to apply for rewards card during the 1st quarter of the year.

Keep in mind there is a fee for paying taxes with credit cards which really cuts into the profit. Of course, sometimes that is worth it that is the only way your going to make the min spend.

But the rebate of the reward far outweighs this.

True, but if you can meet the spend in some other way you will have a much larger reward. I consider it more of a last resort to meet min spend. 

The fee wasn't that bad. I think i paid about $30. I didn't mind the fee because i still came out ahead. Was able to take the kids to enjoy the snow up in lake tahoe for a few days for the cost of the tax payment convenience fee.

Message 43 of 53
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, your school does not allow you to pay tuition with a CC?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 44 of 53
Blodreina
Established Contributor

If there's a discussion or hesitation regarding whether a practice is MS or not, it most likely is.

Message 45 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Simba501 wrote:

If there's a discussion or hesitation regarding whether a practice is MS or not, it most likely is.

Unfortunately, it's not as black and white as that.

Message 46 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

No, they don't. Would be very convenient if they did, but I can see why they don't allow it. Losing 3% of every tuition payment is pretty difficult to swallow. Serve could be a good way of indirectly paying some tuition with a CC. I got a Serve today and I'm going to try to use it for that.

Message 47 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

No, they don't. Would be very convenient if they did, but I can see why they don't allow it. Losing 3% of every tuition payment is pretty difficult to swallow. Serve could be a good way of indirectly paying some tuition with a CC. I got a Serve today and I'm going to try to use it for that.

Let us know how it goes.

Message 48 of 53
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Sorry to dig this thread back up, but I did not want to create a new thread with this being available.  In regards to MS, would it be frowned upon to spend around 600 dollars towards a property tax bill?  A little different, but I always pay my utilities with Citi each month and have never had a problem.  However, I also do not want to create an issue with Chase, but my Marriott rewards statement does not cut until March, so I would love the extra time to take care of this bill.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

Message 49 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely not!

I split our prop tax bill of over $4K over the Ritz and the Arrival+ recently and no trouble. It's a legitimate cost and if government allows it then why not?
Message 50 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.