Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercury 2% cash back a good choice?

tag
user979797
Established Contributor

Mercury 2% cash back a good choice?

Hello and hope everyone is having a beautiful day. I have been searching off and on for months for a 2% cash back card to replace my capital one quick silver.

I got a pre-approval today for a 2% cash back Mercury Mastercard @Anonymous.99%APR. I do not know much about First Bank and Trust and was hoping to get some insight from anyone who knows about this card.

I have tried to pre qualify for both the wells fargo active cash and the FNBO evergreen but haven't been able to pre qualify for those cards in several months. I do not want to open and maintain a checking with Penfed to get the PCR @ 2% even though I pre qualify for that card. I do not know of any other 2% cashback cards besides AODs 3% but i doubt i would qualify for that.

Any thoughts on if i should take the Mercury or perhaps just cold app for the Wells Fargo? Any other cards I am not thinking of? I do not pre qualify for citibanks 5% custom cash either. Thank you all in advance for any advice on this matter.

>
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Mercury 2% cash back a good choice?

Mercury's target demographic is someone whose current FICO 8 scores are roughly in the 670-720 range so if your scores are in that range at least superficially you may be a good fit.   They're a smaller issuer but they are legit - in fact a couple of years ago they kind of jumpstarted themselves by acquiring a chunk of then-current BarclaycardUS cardholders and reissued them Mercury cards.   The relatively high APR is consistent with targeting applicants with near-prime scores. 

Are you planning an PIF every month?  2% cashback is nice but due to the high APR it's a losing proposition if you can't always pay off the reported balance in full every month due to interest charged vs. cashback earned. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 8
dragontears
Senior Contributor

It might help if you provide some details about your profile. Not being preapproved really doesn't say much as there are many, many reasons a preapproval might not show up. 

Message 3 of 8
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

Credit unions might be a good choice for you. Check around. Quite a few that offer 2% or better by now. It really depends on what you spend your money on the most. If it is groceries, gas, and Amazon the Affinity Cash rewards card is great since it has hidden bonus categories. Do a search on here because somebody talked about that at one point but I think the requirement is as low as a 650 score. They check Experian like most lenders do these days.

Message 4 of 8
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

I have had the mercury 1 pct back card since last year. it sits at zero balance because i have lower interest better options like nfcu and penfed. my only beefs with mercury are cb can only be redeemed as a statement credit and the high interest.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 5 of 8
user979797
Established Contributor

Here are some details about my profile: All of my reports show basically the same score and accounts each month and among them I have a Fico9 725. I have 3 new accounts in the last 2 years and 2 inquiries or less depending othe reprot;I have no late payments or collections and my AAOA is 4.5 years; I do however I have a discharged Chapter 7 from 5 years ago which is why I can gain approval with some and not others. My utiilization is always under 30% both with total accounts and individual balances (currently at 9% total utitilization) and I plan to use this card as a pay in full 2% or more cash back card each month.

Thanks for the advice I will continue searching.

>
Message 6 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Prequalling for a card is not necessary to be approved for most cards. If you wait to only be prequaled you might wait along time especially with a BK7 present. Their are lots of good 2% cashback cards like Citi DC and PayPal to name a fewSmiley Wink.  

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Prequalling for a card is not necessary to be approved for most cards. If you wait to only be prequaled you might wait along time especially with a BK7 present. Their are lots of good 2% cashback cards like Citi DC and PayPal to name a fewSmiley Wink.  

Yes, lots of cards.   This thread is a little old but most of the cards still exist.

2% - 3% Cashback (CB) Credit Card (CC) - List - myFICO® Forums - 6197473

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.