Did you mean: 

Mercury card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mercury card

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Folks ... shredding the card does not close the account! You need to officially and formally contact the lender and inform them of your desire to close the account (remember they may have language in their Terms & Conditions of Account Membership on how they close accounts - yes this is all a pain). Otherwise, they will not know and could potentially leave you with an open liability for whatever! Contact the lender. Smiley Mad

I think at least some of the posters know this, one said they are keeping it open for util, shredding just makes sure that they will not use it for purchases.

That said, personally I would either close a card or sock draw it, not shred it.   Just in case you need to access the CL

Get the keeping it for utilization. That said, one needs to still watch it so something doesn't happen like the info gets stolen or the lender places some charge on it such as an "inactivity fee" ... seems I have read some weird things that pop up. That is where I was coming from ... missed the keep it for utilization.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I, too, had an issue with mercurycard. I called to request a CLI and I was told that they are not giving credit increases right now but they would do it during promotional period which she said she didn't know when either. I'm thinking of actually closing this account if no credit line increase will not be given in the 3 months. I'm yet to see if it's really worth keeping this card.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was booted from barclays last year, too

my limit was $1500, and mercury kept it the same

just checked today and i've received an automatic credit line increase to $3750!

still don't plan on using the card, tho 

my plan was to get back with barclays and close this account, but i'll go ahead and keep it for now

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mercury mastercard payment hold

6.13.19 Anyone running into issues with mercury cards holding payments?

I truly hate Barclay sold my account to Mercury mastercard! Not only are their issues trying to find out any benefits to having their mastercard, hard to get a credit line increase, NOW they are holding my payments. Sometimes it's held based on the payment amount although it does not matter if the payment is $200 - $1000. I like to pay my balance in full each month to avoid finance charges and having a balance. Because they'll randomly place a hold on ACH/check payments I decided to break some large payments up (i.e.charged $600 made 2 payments, 1 for $360 & 1 for $240) however both payments were held. Just got through talking with CS. 1st the rep said oh they reason they placed on hold on your payments is because they were made back to back. This does not make any sense bc I have made 2 payments back to several times. Not sure what she means by "back to back" when sometimes I pay 2 consecutive days or it's a week to 2 weeks apart. Again depending on what's charged. IMO back to back would be consecutive payments. Of course I explained if you review my history you will see I have made payemnts back to back (2 days in a row) in which neither payment was held & there are times I made payments weeks apart in which the payments was not held. Now all of a sudden within the last 2 months I have noticed a few payments are being held. This time I paid $360 on 6.2 (balanced charged), made a few charges on 6.6 therefore once they posted I paid the new bal $240 on 6.10. I asked is there a way I could fax proof from my bank that the checks/ACHs cleared to release the hold sooner. The rep says but by the time we get your proof the hold would be removed. Of course I was a little puzzle had to inquire what do you mean, the payment clears my credit union within 2 business days. The rep says we hold the payments for 7 days, it takes 3-5 days to process any faxes and 5-8 days to process any mail correspondence. I respond with there's a good chance on day 3 I could provide you guys with proof the payment cleared my account. Well the rep then replies yeah you can do that BUT we put a hold on a payment it can't be removed. Maybe I'm missing something here or I'm not comparing and calculating the difference between the number of days I can provide proof the payment cleared via fax vs mercury cards fax processing timeframe of 3-5 days correctly. it would seem I would stand a good chance on having the hold release if she was telling the truth. That is until she said "once we put a hold on a payment it can't be removed". My response was.... you do realized you are contradiciting yourself. One moment you're telling me I can fax proof for future payments if a hold is place on them however you're ending your statement with the hold will not be removed even if I send proof documentation. So what's the point?? All she could say was yeah that's right. SMH! As everyone else has complaints I too do not see any point any keeping this credit card. Really hate Barclay sold my account as so many without any heads up other than logging into my Barclay account one day to see a message re: the account transfer/sold. I never had any issues with payments to Barclay, credit line increases or knowing what benefits are available for the credit card! I cannot begin talking about mercurys reward program. Unlike Barclay you cannot even cash points out for giftcards or any other perk.

Message 14 of 20
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Folks ... shredding the card does not close the account! You need to officially and formally contact the lender and inform them of your desire to close the account (remember they may have language in their Terms & Conditions of Account Membership on how they close accounts - yes this is all a pain). Otherwise, they will not know and could potentially leave you with an open liability for whatever! Contact the lender. Smiley Mad

I think at least some of the posters know this, one said they are keeping it open for util, shredding just makes sure that they will not use it for purchases.

That said, personally I would either close a card or sock draw it, not shred it.   Just in case you need to access the CL

Get the keeping it for utilization. That said, one needs to still watch it so something doesn't happen like the info gets stolen or the lender places some charge on it such as an "inactivity fee" ... seems I have read some weird things that pop up. That is where I was coming from ... missed the keep it for utilization.

As of the 2010 CARD act, inactivity fees are illegal.

Message 15 of 20
sjt
Senior Contributor

Clarification regarding holding payments. I understand some bank will delay when you can actually use the credit line, but you should get credit on the actual date the payment was received. If that is not the case, Mercury is in violation of the Card Act.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 20
IantoJones
Valued Member

My experience has been if you choose the Debit Card option when paying, the payment is available immediately.

This is an improvement over Barclays, where I had to make multiple payments of $199.99 (any payment of $200+ was held), and the $199.99 payments cleared next *business* day (or Tuesday if made Sat-Mon).
YMMV.
Starting Score 9/13/14: 570
Current Score 08/12/2021: 798
Goal Score 2021: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the wurst Credit Card, I apply on December 5th, 2019 they approve me $2000.00 I was really excited, because I tried building my credit. On 12/14/19 My soon as a Christmas gift ask me If can send him to see member of family I told him of course I decide use the MERCURY CARD and that when the night mare it stared. They paid for the airplane ticket with out no problem then my son ask me if I can handle him some cash I said ok son I don’t have any cash in me but let me use this new credit card. Omg what kind mistake I did According with documents that they send me they stated that I can have some cash advance I did the transaction was decline 12/16/19 well I call them at the number on the back of the card( BY THE WAY IS A FRAUD DEPARTMENT) fallows one of their employees went to different Bank she told me over the phone that I need to tried for at lease 3 times something that I did and transaction keep decline ( off course they block my account according with them do to a fraudulent transaction I was mad and I told them they said we apologize a supervisor will contact you. Pass a week no one call me I call them back and they told me “ You need send 3 method that shows your address and pictures some ID including my DL and make sure is My Present address also send us a note with the last four number off your credit card i did they never contact me. I keep calling them and after 3 times sending what they ask me they told me oh we can see your Driver license is to clear or to black. Well after 30 days and no respond one of the customer professionals and noticed my frustration she told me what I can doo scan the document and faxed I thank her and I went to my Apple Store paid for CamScanner and I submit all of them again I wait few days to see if they received and when I call for my surprise they got it this time. I spend more than $48 dollars sending some document. Today is 2/3/2020 and no one BUT NO ONE CALL ME AND LET ME KNOW WHAT I DID WRONG IF I FALLOWS ONE OF COMPANY EMPLOYEES INSTRUCTIONS. I MONITOR NY CREDIT ALL THE TIME AND I NOTICED THAT THEY CLOSE THE CREDIT CARD THE SAME DAY THAT I CALL CSR. SINCE TODAY NO ONE CALL ME I MAKE THE PAYMENT WILL BE PAID OFF ON FEW DAYS AND NO BODY BUT NO BODY EVEN SUPERVISOR AND OF THE PERSON DEAL WITH THE INVESTIGATION CONTACT ME
WHAT I FEEL LIKE THEY THINK I COMETED FRAUD AND THEY TREAT ME LIKE IM A CRIMAL AND OR WITH NO RESPECT. IF THAT TRUE THAT THEY RECORS THE CONVERSATION. LAST TIME I CALL I TOLD THEM TO PLEASE HEAR ALL THE CALL AND THEY TOLD ME WHAT WLSE THEY CAN DO FOR ME. FOR REAL I JUST PRAY GOD THAT WHO EVER IS MESSING WITH ME. GET CUT ON HIS OR HER UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIORS
Message 18 of 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
This is the wurst Credit Card, I apply on December 5th, 2019 they approve me $2000.00 I was really excited, because I tried building my credit. On 12/14/19 My soon as a Christmas gift ask me If can send him to see member of family I told him of course I decide use the MERCURY CARD and that when the night mare it stared. They paid for the airplane ticket with out no problem then my son ask me if I can handle him some cash I said ok son I don’t have any cash in me but let me use this new credit card. Omg what kind mistake I did According with documents that they send me they stated that I can have some cash advance I did the transaction was decline 12/16/19 well I call them at the number on the back of the card( BY THE WAY IS A FRAUD DEPARTMENT) fallows one of their employees went to different Bank she told me over the phone that I need to tried for at lease 3 times something that I did and transaction keep decline ( off course they block my account according with them do to a fraudulent transaction I was mad and I told them they said we apologize a supervisor will contact you. Pass a week no one call me I call them back and they told me “ You need send 3 method that shows your address and pictures some ID including my DL and make sure is My Present address also send us a note with the last four number off your credit card i did they never contact me. I keep calling them and after 3 times sending what they ask me they told me oh we can see your Driver license is to clear or to black. Well after 30 days and no respond one of the customer professionals and noticed my frustration she told me what I can doo scan the document and faxed I thank her and I went to my Apple Store paid for CamScanner and I submit all of them again I wait few days to see if they received and when I call for my surprise they got it this time. I spend more than $48 dollars sending some document. Today is 2/3/2020 and no one BUT NO ONE CALL ME AND LET ME KNOW WHAT I DID WRONG IF I FALLOWS ONE OF COMPANY EMPLOYEES INSTRUCTIONS. I MONITOR NY CREDIT ALL THE TIME AND I NOTICED THAT THEY CLOSE THE CREDIT CARD THE SAME DAY THAT I CALL CSR. SINCE TODAY NO ONE CALL ME I MAKE THE PAYMENT WILL BE PAID OFF ON FEW DAYS AND NO BODY BUT NO BODY EVEN SUPERVISOR AND OF THE PERSON DEAL WITH THE INVESTIGATION CONTACT ME
WHAT I FEEL LIKE THEY THINK I COMETED FRAUD AND THEY TREAT ME LIKE IM A CRIMAL AND OR WITH NO RESPECT. IF THAT TRUE THAT THEY RECORS THE CONVERSATION. LAST TIME I CALL I TOLD THEM TO PLEASE HEAR ALL THE CALL AND THEY TOLD ME WHAT WLSE THEY CAN DO FOR ME. FOR REAL I JUST PRAY GOD THAT WHO EVER IS MESSING WITH ME. GET CUT ON HIS OR HER UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIORS

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Barclay can be really skittish. Have you tried calling them again, or have you just given up on it?

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will not give up. I call them every week and they give me the same excuse a supervisor will contact you between 48 to 72 hrs and no one call me. That company is the wurst company to deal with they even told me that is not direct line to anyone and or supervisor I will not give up I don’t play games and or play with my Credit also IM PLANNING FALLOW A COMPLAINT CFPB
( Consumer Financial Protection Bureau )
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.