Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrick Bank Visa App or nah?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merrick Bank Visa App or nah?

I just got an offer in the mail for Merrick Visa Double Credit line offer. SL $700 with an increase to $1400 after 7 months. $36 annual fee. I'm wondering if it's worth it to apply. I just applied for Barclay Apple Rewards Visa last week and was instantly approved for $2k. Cap 1 Credit steps completed last week at $750. I also have a Jcrew $1000, and Overstock $1000. 2 INQ across all reports. FICO scores in signature.  No love on other prequalify sites like chase, citi, amex. etc. (discover IT is questionable). I have a closed Navy federal card I'm paying on from years ago. 

Is it worth it to apply or should I garden?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Merrick Bank Visa App or nah?

It's an ok card. But seems to me you should be looking to do better.
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd go with nah.  Build what you have and take it from there in 6-12 months.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say nah. Cap1 can always PC to no AF and can grow quick in the beginning. You could get something better than Merrick in a few months
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You got enough to build, so think of it like this, don't app for anything you won't want in a couple years.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nah
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I'm trashing the Merrick Bank offer. Smiley Happy 

Message 7 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got an offer in the mail for Merrick Visa Double Credit line offer. SL $700 with an increase to $1400 after 7 months. $36 annual fee. I'm wondering if it's worth it to apply. I just applied for Barclay Apple Rewards Visa last week and was instantly approved for $2k. Cap 1 Credit steps completed last week at $750. I also have a Jcrew $1000, and Overstock $1000. 2 INQ across all reports. FICO scores in signature.  No love on other prequalify sites like chase, citi, amex. etc. (discover IT is questionable). I have a closed Navy federal card I'm paying on from years ago. 

No it isn't. It would be a step down for you at this point. Just tend to your present cards.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 18
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd let this offer pass you by...

That said...

Do you still have an open account with Navy? (Yes i know the card account is closed) ....Navy is not known for being forgiving.. but theres been a few posters who have mentioned paying them back fully and able to get some products from them... I'm very curious about this... And it might be an avenue to explore during your rebuilding..... consider getting that paid off.....

-J

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd let this offer pass you by...

That said...

Do you still have an open account with Navy? (Yes i know the card account is closed) ....Navy is not known for being forgiving.. but theres been a few posters who have mentioned paying them back fully and able to get some products from them... I'm very curious about this... And it might be an avenue to explore during your rebuilding..... consider getting that paid off.....

-J

Hey There. Yes, Navy Federal is my primary bank. Direct Deposit, paid off 5 yr car loan with no lates. Paid off secured loan with no lates. The Credit Card was a Joint Account that I refused to be responsible for because they weren't my charges and I no longer talk to the joint owner. We live and we learn. In the end, I'm making minimum payments, no lates ever reported on the card. I haven't tried to app for a New Credit Account because of it. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.