Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrill + CC Changes?

tag
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Merrill + CC Changes?

Hi there,

I'm thinking about getting the Merrill + card. I like the benefits and the interest rate, however, I'm concerned of the recent acquisition by Bank of America. Do you think there will be any changes to the card benefits, rewards, logo, etc any time soon or should I just go for a different card? Thanks!!

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merrill + CC Changes?

i think the merrill card has always been a cobraneded bofa card so it shouldnt change
Message 2 of 14
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

I think it actually is and was an FIA card, which is now part of BofA. No change - no need for concern.
Message 3 of 14
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I have the card and really like it. A few things to consider though if you already have a BoA card or plan on getting one along with the Merrill in the future. I'll tell my story and you go from there.

I have a BoA Amex w/ a 12k CL. I applied for the Merrill and to my delight was approved for 5k !

The next day I checking my accounts and found out that my BoA is now at 7500. I knew what happened because I read these boards but called anyway to complain. The didn't really approve me, they just borrowed/stole the $ from the BoA CL.

To make a long story short after enough compllaining ( 2 days and about 5 phone calls) I got them to restore the BoA CL back to 12k and issue me a 2500 Merrill+.

The day the Merrill came I went for a CLI on the luv button and got it to 10000.

So far so good, a 12k BoA Amex and a 10k Merrill+. It took some work but I got what I wanted.

The only issue now is that since they are both issued by FIA and are linked when you call CS, if you want a CLI on either card they see the other on their screen. They might consider the other cards CL into your request.

I recently wanted to balance transfer for the 1.99% BoA offers and wanted to see if they would increase my CL to reflect some of the BT. They immediately suggested moving some of my CL from the Merrill+ over instead. Not good, I don't want them to have that option but they do.

Besides that issue I have no problems,it's a fixed rate card for everyone which is great, it carries the same 1.99 BT rate for a year as BoA, and it has a ceiling CL of 250k. (LOL).

Now there's another way to look at this also. If you have a BoA card and get denied for the Merrill, you might be able to recon a card by HAVING them borrow some CL.

Jax 

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 14
plasticguy
Established Contributor

As a side note, ML has a max BT fee of $75. BOFA has no MAXSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 14
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help! I went ahead and applied and was approved for a $3500 CL. I'm very excited to receive the card!
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 6 of 14
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Congrats.  I'd ask for a CLI at activation. Make sure they don't pull another hard.
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my number 1 card, have had great customer service and no problems with them so far. I hope you enjoy it!

They auto CLI and soft on your requests (unless you are doing them very frequently)

Message 8 of 14
Thunderseven
Regular Contributor

How long does it take for approval from ML?
Thunderseven.....TU-8 835 (11/02/2023) EQ-8 822 (11/02/2023) EX-8 828 (11/02/2023) I don't ask for much, the truth will do just fine....
Message 9 of 14
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

I got an instant approval. I applied over the phone. But it just varies depending on a consumers credit history and information they provide on their application.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.