cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrill Lynch cards: Merrill+ vs. Total Merrill Cash Back

tag
NoLimits79

Merrill Lynch cards: Merrill+ vs. Total Merrill Cash Back

I've seen Merrill+ talked about in this forum and others and it appears it is a solid card if you want to use the card for point redemptions for more expensive flights, plus the EMV capability and No FTF is also attractive. But I do not really see much talk about the Total Merrill Cash Back. Is the cash back card as highly regarded? Does anyone here have it and can comment? The picture of the card on the site shows it has the EMV chip, but does the cash back card also have no FTF (it doesn't say in the card overview)? I tend to favor cash back credit cards over points based cards because points tend to be devalued over time. Also has anyone PCed a BOA branded card to a Merrill card, if so does it involve a hard pull?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Merrill Lynch cards: Merrill+ vs. Total Merrill Cash Back

Welcome to the forum 

I can answer part of this ...No you can't PC from BofA to Merrill it requires a new HP

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Can answer a portion also.  The Total Merrill Cash Back is not issued to new card holders from what has been told to folks (like myself) that have applied for a Merrill card recently.  While the underwriting is the same for BoA, Merrill, and Fidelity cards I think I have only seen one case where someone PC'd from BoA to Fidelity.  Never heard of anyone PCing to Merrill.  The cards do come with the EMV chip.  I got mine yesterday and it looks nice.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I can confirm what BigBS said the only card you can apply for is Merrill+.  The very friendly reps advised me Total Merrill is not open to apply for anymore.

Message 4 of 8
NoLimits79

Thanks for the responses so far. Pretty absurd to list a phone number to apply on the page but then be told it is not offered to new applicants anymore.

Message 5 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@NoLimits79 wrote:

Thanks for the responses so far. Pretty absurd to list a phone number to apply on the page but then be told it is not offered to new applicants anymore.

I didn't ask for all the details, maybe there's more to it?  Merrill+ has a 25,000 points bonus with $2500 spend in 3 months.

Message 6 of 8
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

I PC'ed my better balance card to the Merrill +. It took a month to receive the new card, but it is possible.
Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 7 of 8
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

Anyone else have any experiences with PC'ing a BoA card to a Merrill card?

I have the BoA Cash Rewards Visa Sig card but it's pretty much sock drawered at this point due to having worse rewards than my other cards (ie. AMEX BCP, Penfed, Cap1 QS).

Seems like there's been 1 other person on this board who said they changed their BoA to a Fidelity card but not much beyond that that I can find information on.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.