Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrill lynch

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Merrill lynch

Notice on my Merrill Lynch login page that they are a part of BOA.  Do they have a system like chase, if you have so much money tied up with them?   I have quite a substantial amount of money tied up with Merrill Lynch so I was just wondering if anybody has any information on them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Merrill lynch

Totally. If you have a lot of assets with Merrill Lynch you'd qualify for the Privileges: https://www.bankofamerica.com/platinumprivileges/special-pricing/credit-card.go

You can't even apply for this card without tons of assets.

Message 2 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a ton, but I do have around $120K invested with them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 13
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Notice on my Merrill Lynch login page that they are a part of BOA.  Do they have a system like chase, if you have so much money tied up with them?   I have quite a substantial amount of money tied up with Merrill Lynch so I was just wondering if anybody has any information on them.

Yes, similar with Merrill Lynch/B of A and Chase. I have deposit accounts with B of A and a couple of investments with Merrill Lynch and it integrates pretty well. I can see my investments on the main page of Bank of America accounts. I believe the cut off for Platinum Privileges is $50,000 so you are above that level. I don't really take advantage of the perks except free wire transfers, no fees on my accounts, free cashier checks. The customer service number you get for Platinum Privileges is much better than the regular one, not much waiting on hold before talking to CSR. The few times I called them my issues were resolved quickly or I was offered a call back. When I opted to be called back the person that I spoke with earlier was the call back person and they were prompt and direct and solved the problem. I applied for a Virgin Atlantic card recently (B of A card) and had to recon. When I called the second tier underwriter they took my info and greeted me as a Platinum Privilege client. Who knows if it helped but I got the card. 

I have deposit accounts and investments with Chase. I have a personal banker at a local branch and all I need to do is call him and he deals with questions or issues for me and calls me back. He does not deal direct with my investments but the area has a PFR that spends time at each branch and they can deal with transfers and such. Chase banker has indicated he can deal with my credit card applications and follow up as needed once I come in and see him to get ball rolling. I am sure he calls same recon people we call but when he does he can inform them and discuss the volume of my spend thru my accounts and seems to do a good job with the recon. I was with him for a CLI on one of my Ink cards after less than 2 month of card use and I never spoke direct to whoever he called. He did ask me a couple of questions and relayed the info to the other party. Got the 5x increase no problem and after the call he said I should have asked for more based on his conversation. 

I prefer the online layout of Bank of America with Merrill Lynch over that of Chase. I prefer the direct contact with my personal banker at Chase over a dedicated Platinum CSR line with B of A. I have about the same invested with both banks but it looks like Chase will be winning out soon unless I decide I want another B of A credit card in the near future. 

So yes, open a checking account with B of A and get the Platinum Privileges. It's free to you and much better than regular CSR interaction. 

Message 5 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

You can absolutely apply for the privileges cards without large assets with boa. Only benefit of having a large amount of assets with them, is it pobably increases your chance of approval, and they waive the AF.

If you dont have 50k with them you just have to pay the 75$ AF after the first year.
Message 6 of 13
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

Back in the 1990s and early 2000s my company was using Merrill Lynch as a clearing firm to trade stock options. So my office was in their building and I had a lot tied up with them.  I used to wear a big badge on my trading jacket that said Merrill Lynch 551 and every time I did a trade I would have to say "I

m 551 Merrill Lynch. I must have said that thousands of times.....Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

In addition to what the others have said, there's also the Merrill Lynch Accolades card which you likely would qualify for.  www.cards.ml.com -- it's like the other two cards that ML offers but with additional benefits.  That AF is hefty though, guess it could be considered at the same level as the AMEX Platinum or the CITI Prestige card. 

Message 8 of 13
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

You dont need to have lots of money with ML to get the Privileges Cash back. I have it and dont have 50k in the bank with them
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 9 of 13
HiLine
Blogger

You cannot apply for the Privileges unless you have at least 50k in assets with BofA. When the card first came out Bank of America allowed everyone to apply; now it's become a privilege to even apply. Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.