cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mile Earning Credit Card without annual fee?

tag
mohammadmoghimi
Valued Member

Mile Earning Credit Card without annual fee?

Is there any credit card without fee that I can earn airline miles on purchases with? Something like amex membership rewards or SPG but without fees?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mile Earning Credit Card without annual fee?

The Chase Sapphire (not the Preferred version) is one with no AF:  https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-sapphire.aspx

However, for the first year, you may want to consider going with something like the PRG, SPG, CSP, Citi Aadvantage, Barclay Arrival (cash back travel rewards) etc. (depending on which airlines you prefer and/or how you want to earn/redeem points/miles). 

Several of the cards with AF's will waive it the first year (as part of their welcome bonus) & offer excellent sign-on bonuses......plus better and/or faster ways to earn miles or points.  Then you can either cancel the account before the AF hits the following year or PC to a card with a lower or no AF. 

For instance, the CSP can be PC'd to the regular Chase Sapphire (mentioned above).  But at that point, you would have earned the 40k sign up bonus & possibly even earned more points throughout the year since the CSP has a 2x travel & dining (vs. 2x for dining only) & other bonus-earning options the Chase Sapphire with no AF does not offer. 

Citi Aadvantage, Barclay Arrival, AmEx SPG & PRG usually run good sign-up bonuses, too (ranging from 25k bonus points to 40 or 50k, sometimes more).  Anyway, just food for thought.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 2 of 26
Open123
Super Contributor

Hm, I can't think of an actual rewards (where it either earns miles in a hotel or FF, or transferrable points) card without an annual fee.

Message 3 of 26
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, forgot to mention the AmEx Blue Sky as another option for you:  https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-sky

Best of luck on your decision! 

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

Message 4 of 26
Open123
Super Contributor

Neither the Chase Sapphire or Blue Sky earns miles transferrable to an actual FF or Hotel rewards program, which is what I think the OP meant by "airline" miles.

Message 5 of 26
burberryboy007
Valued Member

Barclays Arrival (no fee version).. no FTFs either

American Express Gold Card NPSL | NEFCU Platinum Visa 7.5k | Amazon Store Card 6.5k | Discover More 5.5k | American Express Delta Gold Skymiles 3k | Barclaycard Arrival+ 1.5k |
Starting Score: 664
Current Score: 745
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 26
red259
Super Contributor

@burberryboy007 wrote:

Barclays Arrival (no fee version).. no FTFs either

This is not a mile earning card per se, its basically a cash back card for travel expenses.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 26
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Neither the Chase Sapphire or Blue Sky earns miles transferrable to an actual FF or Hotel rewards program, which is what I think the OP meant by "airline" miles.

Oh, I see.....I guess I misinterpreted the OP's question.

Now, I thought the Chase Sapphire did earn UR points that could be transferred into certain FF or Hotel programs.....but it's very possible that I'm wrong and/or misunderstanding the CS program benefits.... 

Message 8 of 26
bribro
Valued Contributor

There is no credit card with a transferrable rewards points program (i.e. SPG, UR, or MR) that doesn't have an annual fee.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 9 of 26
mohammadmoghimi
Valued Member

none of the cards people mentioned here earn airline miles or can be transfered to airlines without fees.

One idea I had was to get amex blue and then PC it to green or gold to be able to transfer points. I don't know what happens with the annual fee if I PC to let's say amex green.

Or similarly with UR like freedom etc and the get CSP to be able to transfer points.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.