cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mileage or Points or Cashback for Travel?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Mileage or Points or Cashback for Travel?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Angko wrote:

Thanks iowapilot and red, my sched to app for an SPG will still be on January as advised by Crashem, bec I just got approved for BSP and PRG this week. Most prob I will stick with CSP for the 1:1 transfer point until January as per your recommendations. Thanks Smiley Happy

Remember to take into account earning potential as well!  While SPG can transfer at 1.25:1, the points are often harder to earn than some of the alternatives (e.g CSP: the CSP 2x dining, UR mall bonus, transfer of 5x from Freedom etc)

+1

While I've always been a huge proponent of SPG (my favorite rewards program) points, it's mainly good for "non-category" bonus spending only.  UR bonuses, TY bonuses, and even HHonors bonuses can all accrue much faster than SPG points.

Many value SPG points the highest, but having many more of lesser valued units (UR, MR, TY, HHonors) is still worth more than having much less of more valuable SPG units.  For many, the biggest boon will be the SPG bonus, since many will never spend enough on the card to accrue enough points to rival the value of other cards mentioned, namely CSP/Freedom, TY Preferred (especially now!), MR (all the 50k - 100k bonuses, and finally the nearly limitless ways to accrue HHonors points.

Message 11 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Angko wrote:

Thanks iowapilot and red, my sched to app for an SPG will still be on January as advised by Crashem, bec I just got approved for BSP and PRG this week. Most prob I will stick with CSP for the 1:1 transfer point until January as per your recommendations. Thanks Smiley Happy

Remember to take into account earning potential as well!  While SPG can transfer at 1.25:1, the points are often harder to earn than some of the alternatives (e.g CSP: the CSP 2x dining, UR mall bonus, transfer of 5x from Freedom etc)

+1

While I've always been a huge proponent of SPG (my favorite rewards program) points, it's mainly good for "non-category" bonus spending only.  UR bonuses, TY bonuses, and even HHonors bonuses can all accrue much faster than SPG points.

Many value SPG points the highest, but having many more of lesser valued units (UR, MR, TY, HHonors) is still worth more than having much less of more valuable SPG units.  For many, the biggest boon will be the SPG bonus, since many will never spend enough on the card to accrue enough points to rival the value of other cards mentioned, namely CSP/Freedom, TY Preferred (especially now!), MR (all the 50k - 100k bonuses, and finally the nearly limitless ways to accrue HHonors points.

Yes, earning potential of different cards with their bonuses etc are excellent points to consider. I'm going to go read about TY Preferred now, because I know next to nothing about it!  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Angko wrote:

+1

Yes, earning potential of different cards with their bonuses etc are excellent points to consider. I'm going to go read about TY Preferred now, because I know next to nothing about it!  

The normal TYPreferred isn't an interesting card.  Until Jul 28th, it was basically a 1x card, now they have 2x categories to dining and entertainment, similar to the 5x available with the Forward.

TY points aren't good to redeem for cash, (except by asking for a mortgage/student loan check and depositing it to your account), and their gift cards choices are limited.  You need a good multiplier card to make TY worthwhile.  The Forward is one (entertainment includes bookstores/Amazon, restaurants, fast food, movies etc), the 5x TY/TYP (currently not available) is another.   Then the Premier/Prestige gives extra value on travel redemptions.

But unless you can get one of the special versions (5x TY/TYP) I wouldn't enter the TY program, Chase UR is much more valuable.   If you do get the 5x though, well, that's a very different story!

Message 13 of 14
Angko
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys. I'll just wait for my CSP because I'm starting to hate CTYP because they declined my card due to fraud thingy (how embarrassing), so I used my BoA Travel Rewards and my transaction went smoothly. The amount was just like 200+. Called the Citi's fraud hotline and entered the fraud reference number that they left on my voicemail and lifted the suspension. Then, I called their office and told them that if I need to call them everytime I make a big purchase, I might seldom use their card and will just use other card as my major expense card.

Am still waiting for my CSP, BSP, PRG, and Discover IT. I just hope I get all of these cards this week.

So, if ever I will purchase a revenue tkt for my next week's travel, I will either use CSP or PRG, whatever will come first on my mailbox.

Thanks all Smiley Happy

Current MyFico Scores as of Dec 2013: Fico EQ: 768 | Fico EX: 775 | Fico TU: 744
*** CSP: 5000 | BoA MC: 6400 | BoA Travel Rewards: 5000 | City TYP: 6500 | Discover IT: 7800 | Amex BSP: 6000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | Macys: 1500 ***
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.