Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Star Card - Approval!!

tag
britishbooklady
Regular Contributor

Military Star Card - Approval!!

I'm so excited right now and just wanted to share...hope you guys don't mind.

I didn't know that family members could have their own Military Star account...that is, until we got a random application in the mail inside the monthly flyer. I was just looking over it and saw that "family member" was an option to check under "Branch of Service." So, I took a chance and went online to apply. That was yesterday...I hadn't received anything via email, so I logged back into AAFES website and clicked on chat. The customer service rep verified my identity and then told me to hold while she processed my app. A few minutes later, she comes back and tells me that I've been approved for $5800!!! Smiley Very Happy  I don't know how to act...it's been so long since I had good credit in my own name...and, actually, I don't think I've ever had this high of a limit! Smiley Surprised

I just wanted to pass along the info...for any military family members who, like me, thought that the star card was only for the servicemembers. It's for anyone who has military exchange privileges.

And, they do report to all 3 CRAs! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EX: 661, EQ: 662, TU: 694 [Lender Pull 12/30/2010]
Current Score: EX: 665, EQ: 680, TU: 710
Goal Score: EX: 750+, EQ: 750+, TU: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2011
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Military Star Card - Approval!!

@britishbooklady wrote:

I'm so excited right now and just wanted to share...hope you guys don't mind.

I didn't know that family members could have their own Military Star account...that is, until we got a random application in the mail inside the monthly flyer. I was just looking over it and saw that "family member" was an option to check under "Branch of Service." So, I took a chance and went online to apply. That was yesterday...I hadn't received anything via email, so I logged back into AAFES website and clicked on chat. The customer service rep verified my identity and then told me to hold while she processed my app. A few minutes later, she comes back and tells me that I've been approved for $5800!!! Smiley Very Happy  I don't know how to act...it's been so long since I had good credit in my own name...and, actually, I don't think I've ever had this high of a limit! Smiley Surprised

I just wanted to pass along the info...for any military family members who, like me, thought that the star card was only for the servicemembers. It's for anyone who has military exchange privileges.

And, they do report to all 3 CRAs! Smiley Happy

Congratulations and thanks for passing along that information.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

What is the military star card?

Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

What is the military star card?

If I'm not mistaken, it's the on base grocery and supply store.

Message 4 of 9
mrsbagalot1222
Established Member

I am married to a soildier in the army and I actually applied for the card before he even did lol. It is backed by chase and there are two cards: The starcard store card that is good just for the PX and Commissary and then the Chase rewards star card which is good for gas and anywhere that excepts mastercard. Even though it is backed by chase the requirements are a little more leniant because its for members of the military and their families. I received it when I was 19 and got a $2800 limit I am now up to $5500. They are very good on credit limit increases and incentives for their card holders. My husbands credit who definetly was only about 650 received one with a $1900 starting limit.

~Current Wallet: NFCU Signature CashRewards Visa $5000/AAFES Military Star Card $3600/NFCU NavCheck $1500/Applied Bank $700/Amazon GE $700/Walmart GE $500/Credit One $500/Paypal Smart Connect $300/Orchard Bank: $300/WFNNB-Comenity Bank:Victoria's Secret $300/Express $250/New York&Company $250~
Message 5 of 9
rom828
Established Contributor

Congrats on the new card!!Smiley Happy

Can you advise what constitutes a "family member"?

I was able to join NFCU after  my son-in-law  (he's in Army) and daughter did.    I joined as my daughter's family member,  and then  DH joined as mine. 

Just wondering how this works for the Star card??

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 6 of 9
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Military Star was my first credit card and has my biggest credit limit of any single card. Since it can only be used at AAFES or NEX (not sure if Coast Guard Ex takes it) and since you must show your military ID card in order to make a purchase (out of uniform) it's probably one of the most secure credit cards. I could lose my Star Card and not bother to cancel it since it'll be a real pain for anyone to attempt to use it either online or in person. So to answer another question, "family" would probably be a dependent of a military member since you would need a valid dependent ID to use the card anyway. That said, you can only use it at military exchanges, not the commissary. If anyone has used it at the commissary recently, then let me know and I will retract, but the Commissaries are run by DECA and are a separate agency under DoD and do not participate with either Exchange program. You can however use the card at any shop run by either exchange like shoppettes, gas stations, and some vendors (like the burger king in the food court).

Message 7 of 9
rom828
Established Contributor

@shiftomnimega wrote:
Military Star was my first credit card and has my biggest credit limit of any single card. Since it can only be used at AAFES or NEX (not sure if Coast Guard Ex takes it) and since you must show your military ID card in order to make a purchase (out of uniform) it's probably one of the most secure credit cards. I could lose my Star Card and not bother to cancel it since it'll be a real pain for anyone to attempt to use it either online or in person. So to answer another question, "family" would probably be a dependent of a military member since you would need a valid dependent ID to use the card anyway. That said, you can only use it at military exchanges, not the commissary. If anyone has used it at the commissary recently, then let me know and I will retract, but the Commissaries are run by DECA and are a separate agency under DoD and do not participate with either Exchange program. You can however use the card at any shop run by either exchange like shoppettes, gas stations, and some vendors (like the burger king in the food court).

Gotcha!  I was kinda thinking it'd be nice for me to have for the purpose of using it at PX or commissary when I go visit my daughter and son-in-law.  They like to shop those places, and as non-military,  I can't pay for anything at the register with one of my cards.  I generally just get $ out of ATM to 'treat' them to whatever it is they need.  Just thought this card would give me a little 'float' for doing that....but sounds like I would not be eligible for the card OR to pay at PX checkout even with it......oh, well..it was just a thought...

I'll add, though, that for them also, the Star card is their highest limit card...very generous with increases, etc...

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 8 of 9
mrsbagalot1222
Established Member

Yes you would be correct if you only have the store branded card it cannot be used at the commissary. But if you have the chase mastercard branded one it is good anywehere mastercard is accepted. and you only present military id at the px, shopette, and gas station. Family members include anyone who is listed in deers ieSmiley Frustratedpouse and children otherwise known as dependents,

~Current Wallet: NFCU Signature CashRewards Visa $5000/AAFES Military Star Card $3600/NFCU NavCheck $1500/Applied Bank $700/Amazon GE $700/Walmart GE $500/Credit One $500/Paypal Smart Connect $300/Orchard Bank: $300/WFNNB-Comenity Bank:Victoria's Secret $300/Express $250/New York&Company $250~
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.