cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Redemption Levels for Cash Back - I don't like them!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Minimum Redemption Levels for Cash Back - I don't like them!

Hello Everyone,

I went on a app spree last year for the "ultimate' cash back credit card. After trying a few, especially Citi Double Cash, I've gone back to using a credit union card that offers 1.5% on every purchase. Why, you ask? I don't like that in order to redeem my cash back, I have to reach a minimum redemption level.

Even though Citi DC is 2% CB, my 1.5% NFCC allows me to redeem at any time. With Citi DC, I always feel like at some point, unless I continue to use the same card all the time, that I'm leaving cash on the table unless I reach a minimum threshold and stop using the card. YMMV, but I'm willing to forgo the .5% in favor of a card that allows me to redeem at any time and this is what works for me. There's something about the minimum redemption level that subconciously kinda makes me feel like I gotta spend more to make sure I get my CB. My back-up cards are my Discover IT/IT Miles card since they also allow you to redeem without minimums.

I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Minimum Redemption Levels for Cash Back - I don't like them!

I do think some people end up spending more subconsciously to meet the thresholds. Cards with no redemption headaches are ideal. Although I'm not a huge capital one fan, the quicksilver is one of the most straightforward cards around for the reasons you mention.

I have a cashforward from barclay and the threshold is 50 bucks which is lame, but at least rewards posts quickly. The double cash has both disadvantages: slow posting of rewards (can be up to two billing cycles for full 2 percent) and a threshold.

Around here, sometimes these opinions are unpopular, as there are people who simply want the highest return and don't care if it's a little less convenient. But I'm with you. I hate hassles and headaches with rewards.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding, I'm glad there are probably a few folks that think about this the way I do.

And what you said about Citi DC taking a long time to post rewards is one of the other reasons why I recently stopped using the card and switched back to my Navy Federal CC.

Message 3 of 25
northface28
Established Contributor

I feel the same, I have a CashForward, Quicksilver, and Discover IT. The Discover It posts rewards at the end of the month which is a slight annoyance, but I can deal.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 4 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

That's the one major beef I have with discover. I'm totally OK with rewards coming once a month, but they don't provide any way to really track the rewards per transaction, which is an annoyance.
Message 5 of 25
CluelessJohn
Contributor

I'm generally a believer that 2% cash back is better than 1.5%, but I shelved my Citi DC and started using a CapOne QS card for general spend.  Citi DC had the $25 minimum and other redemption issues since I don't have a Citi checking account.  I know I'm leaving money on the table but I prefer the instant gratification.

Chase Freedom Visa ($15K) Chase Freedom Flex ($15K) Chase Amazon Prime ($9K) USAA Limitless ($20K) AMEX BCE ($30K) CapOne QuickSilver ($15K) Citi DC ($20.5K) Citi Custom Cash ($5K) Discover It ($7.5K) BOA Cash Rewards ($5K) BOA MLB ($13K) USBank Cash+($10K) WF Active Cash ($8K)
FICO 8 ~800
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CluelessJohn wrote:

I'm generally a believer that 2% cash back is better than 1.5%, but I shelved my Citi DC and started using a CapOne QS card for general spend.  Citi DC had the $25 minimum and other redemption issues since I don't have a Citi checking account.  I know I'm leaving money on the table but I prefer the instant gratification.

I agree and I feel like at the end of the day, getting 1.5% quickly is better than 2% and having to wait for it. 

Message 7 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe I'll be the lone dissenter (as I'm sure there are others who deal with the other end of the spectrum) for cash back flexibility and opportunity redemptions, but I've never had any "annoyance" or felt any inflexibility (IME) with redemption thresholds for Fidelity PC, Double Cash, BOA PP Cash Rewards (auto-deposited), Cash+ or Discover, etc.  Maybe for high income individuals that can optimize these cash back vehicles in a such a way where such thresholds mean nothing since the cummulative amounts can be redeemed whenever?  *shrugs* Smiley Very Happy

While I'm sure some individuals may not like them (depending on who the issuer is), there's plenty of choices and other lenders out there +  much worse rewards products/structures.

Message 8 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree 2 percent is more than 1.5 percent, but if the headaches aren't worth it on the 2 percent card, I can understand.

As finstar said, high income may make it less relevant, but I'm certainly not high income haha.

Anyway, 1.5 vs 2 percent is a relatively insignificant difference at the end of the day, absent very large spend. So I think people should just use whatever they prefer. You leave a little on the table but it's not going to make a massive difference either way, and there's certainly many good options out there for different consumers.

Message 9 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

I agree 2 percent is more than 1.5 percent, but if the headaches aren't worth it on the 2 percent card, I can understand.

As finstar said, high income may make it less relevant, but I'm certainly not high income haha.

Anyway, 1.5 vs 2 percent is a relatively insignificant difference at the end of the day, absent very large spend. So I think people should just use whatever they prefer. You leave a little on the table but it's not going to make a massive difference either way, and there's certainly many good options out there for different consumers.

Right.  I would definitely agree that not all rewards portals are created equal and some are more favored than others, like Capital One being a decent one.  Yet, for instance AmEx can take a while sometimes to update rewards information and yes, Discover can be cryptic almost like bartering (e.g. I harvested lots of lemons to get good lemonade yields but only got a few drops?).

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.