Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed payment - help!

tag
stacyjuhl
Visitor

Missed payment - help!

My fiancé has an old Capital One card which he does not use. They got him in June with an annual fee without him realizing. Two months later, he got a credit karma notification of a ding in his credit for a delinquency. Dammit! He just didn't know it was there. He has called Capital One who removed fees and agreed to report again to credit bureaus that it "never happened". Capital One is going to send him a letter to this effect too. But his credit has taken a 17 point dive! Any suggestions?

Also, he is considering closing the account (only $700 CL) since he has another card with much higher limit and uses regularly. Should he do this or should he leave it open?

TIA!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
coolerscouter

Re: Missed payment - help!

If Capital One is going to make it like it never happened, once it is removed from the reports the score will jump back up (in theory).

If there is still an annual fee, I'd say close it once the delinquency has been cleaned up. Otherwise, keep it open to halp his AAoA.

Message 2 of 10
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

He should contact the executive office.  Email is best and you can google the address.  They will call in 1 - 3 days.  He needs to address three issues: 1.  taking care of the missed payment  2. seeing if they will remove the annual fee from the account  3.  asking for an increase to at least what he has on his other card or more (if I were him, I'd ask for more as they will counteroffer if they don't agree with the amount you are asking for).

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 3 of 10
coolerscouter

@kimmiller112 wrote:

He should contact the executive office.  Email is best and you can google the address.  They will call in 1 - 3 days.  He needs to address three issues: 1.  taking care of the missed payment  2. seeing if they will remove the annual fee from the account  3.  asking for an increase to at least what he has on his other card or more (if I were him, I'd ask for more as they will counteroffer if they don't agree with the amount you are asking for).

The OP ststed that CapOne was already dealing with the missed payment and had removed the fee and is going to remove it from the credit reports.

From what I've heard, Capital One doesn't really do PCs. CLI is a possibility though.

Message 4 of 10
stacyjuhl
Visitor

What is a PC? Sorry, I'm new to these boards Smiley Happy. Thanks!
Message 5 of 10
CAnNY
Frequent Contributor

PC= product change. Basically change the current cap1 cc to a diff cap1 cc. For example change from platinum to a signature card within Cap1. Better example, change from cash rewards to a non-cash rewards all within Cap1 line of credit cards.

Starting Score: TU 489 EQ 561 EX unknown (2/24/2013)
Current Score: Lender Pull (11/15/13) EQ 702, TU 679, EX 684
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Capital One granted a PC for me on my then 8-year old Platinum Visa.  I was able to PC the card to their green cash rewards visa signature card (1.5% cash back).  My original card had a $39 annual fee with no rewards and the card I was pc'd to has no annual fee.  They also raised my CL from $1300 to $8000 at my request.  This was all done with a soft-pull.  My card will be 10 years old next March and I will probably call them to PC to the Quicksilver once I have been credited with the .5% annual rewards.

Cap One's Exec Office has come through for lots of people.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 7 of 10
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@stacyjuhl wrote:
My fiancé has an old Capital One card which he does not use. They got him in June with an annual fee without him realizing. Two months later, he got a credit karma notification of a ding in his credit for a delinquency. Dammit! He just didn't know it was there. He has called Capital One who removed fees and agreed to report again to credit bureaus that it "never happened". Capital One is going to send him a letter to this effect too. But his credit has taken a 17 point dive! Any suggestions?

Also, he is considering closing the account (only $700 CL) since he has another card with much higher limit and uses regularly. Should he do this or should he leave it open?

TIA!

glad they are forgiving him with the missed payment... Smiley Happy but like everyone has mentioned, go thru the EO Smiley Happy gl!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 8 of 10
Dustink
Valued Contributor

If they are being so nice as to remove the delinquency. I wouldn't close the account. That is a nice move on their part and I would want to make it worth their while.

Agree with the other poster in that you should contact the EO.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 9 of 10
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

If they are being so nice as to remove the delinquency. I wouldn't close the account. That is a nice move on their part and I would want to make it worth their while.

Agree with the other poster in that you should contact the EO.

THIS^^^^^^

Also, a 17 point hit isn't too bad for a brand new 30 day late reporting.  Most I hear of are in the 23-34 point range!!

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.