Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mission Lane Card 6 months in after a BK7

tag
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

Mission Lane Card 6 months in after a BK7

Not terribly impressed with Mission Lance at this point TBH.  When I started my rebuild after my BK7 DC, Mission Lane was one of the cards that was listed under CK as having 'outstanding' odds of approval and they were the first card I applied for after my DC.  They gave me $1,000 CL which when I first goit it, I thought was great.  Card comes with an AF but I expected that I would have to deal with those kinds of things...at first.

Mission Lane gave me the smallest CL of any of the cards I applied for (except Kohls, but I burned them in the BK7) and my other two cards I got after the Mission Lane all started with higher limits (Ollo at $1,500 and Mercury at $3,000 and neither of those have an AF).  Mercury gave me a CL increase only 4 months after opening the account ($3,000 to $3,350) and Ollo gave me an increase 6 months after opening ($1,500 to $2,200).  Well, I just got my increase today from Mission Lane...$100.  I've at times carried a balance on the card and I have always paid on time and more than the minimum and that card currently carries a $0 balance.  And since getting those cards, I got in with PenFed and they gave me a card with a $6,000 CL right out of the gate.

At this point, IMHO, Mission Lane might work for some people, but as of now I am less than happy with that card.  A meager CL increase after 6 months and the card carries an AF.  So at this point, I'm thinking of just canceling the card before the AF kicks in this coming July or August (I'll have to check when it will happen).

As always, YMMV, but just wanted to give some input for people considering Mission Lane.

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
18 REPLIES 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Mission Lane Card 6 months in after a BK7

@MileHigh96 wrote:

Not terribly impressed with Mission Lance at this point TBH.  When I started my rebuild after my BK7 DC, Mission Lane was one of the cards that was listed under CK as having 'outstanding' odds of approval and they were the first card I applied for after my DC.  They gave me $1,000 CL which when I first goit it, I thought was great.  Card comes with an AF but I expected that I would have to deal with those kinds of things...at first.

Mission Lane gave me the smallest CL of any of the cards I applied for (except Kohls, but I burned them in the BK7) and my other two cards I got after the Mission Lane all started with higher limits (Ollo at $1,500 and Mercury at $3,000 and neither of those have an AF).  Mercury gave me a CL increase only 4 months after opening the account ($3,000 to $3,350) and Ollo gave me an increase 6 months after opening ($1,500 to $2,200).  Well, I just got my increase today from Mission Lane...$100.  I've at times carried a balance on the card and I have always paid on time and more than the minimum and that card currently carries a $0 balance.  And since getting those cards, I got in with PenFed and they gave me a card with a $6,000 CL right out of the gate.

At this point, IMHO, Mission Lane might work for some people, but as of now I am less than happy with that card.  A meager CL increase after 6 months and the card carries an AF.  So at this point, I'm thinking of just canceling the card before the AF kicks in this coming July or August (I'll have to check when it will happen).

As always, YMMV, but just wanted to give some input for people considering Mission Lane.

Im sorry but how can you be disappointed  in a card /issuer who actually gave you credit right after a bk7?  You knew it came with a fee so no sprise there and getting 1k from anyone with a fresh bk reporting  is really good considering that a bk is one of the biggest things that  one can have credit wise that will spook most lenders at least in the begining.  Imo, one should remember these cards are meant to get you to the next level , ie your Penfed card, , more than " grow" with you  . Just my Humble opinion that gift horses shouldnt be looked at in the mouthSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 19
bigseegar
Established Contributor

If you want a rebuilding card that will report monthly with a low CL and that $100 CLI is the only one you'll see then Mission Lane is your card. If you wnat steady and regular CLI as a reward for doing right by the card and using and paying it properly then ditch Mission Lane, I did.

I too had it when I had to start the rebuild and had it for 2.5 years. Same as you I tried both PIF and carrying a little balance to make the Mission Lane profit gods happy both ways. Not only would they never give me another CLI above that same $100 one. But when I called to ask about one OR either them dropping the $59 AF, they wouldn't have any part of either. When I told them I'd have to close the card otherwsie, they couldn't have cared less. So I did and I never looked back. 

Message 3 of 19
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Have you considered contacting mission lane for a product change? I know ML only allows you to have 1 of their cards at a time, but they do have a 1.5% cash back card with no AF. That's the one I have.

Maybe ask for the PC to get rid of the AF, gain a % CB, and keep the age of the card?

Message 4 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

My card would become 6 months old some time this month. Hoping to receive a cli. If I ever get a cli I  have no idea how much cli I would receive.  My card has No AF. I called and asked to see if they would PC to one with Cash Back rewards. The answer is no. Since there is no AF on my card, I am going to use it once in a while to buy a candy from the corner store and leave it alone.

Message 5 of 19
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

My card would become 6 months old some time this month. Hoping to receive a cli. If I ever get a cli I  have no idea how much cli I would receive.  My card has No AF. I called and asked to see if they would PC to one with Cash Back rewards. The answer is no. Since there is no AF on my card, I am going to use it once in a while to buy a candy from the corner store and leave it alone.

That's unfortunate they wouldn't PC (no af to no af + rewards).

You could also set autopay on a Netflix subscription (or similar) just to keep it active and automated.

Message 6 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Drifter73 wrote:

You could also set autopay on a Netflix subscription (or similar) just to keep it active and automated

Yes. Going Forwards that is my plan.

Message 7 of 19
Humbled82
Established Member

@Red1Blue @MileHigh96 @Drifter73 @bigseegar @AverageJoesCredit 

Hello group

I am in the process of a credit rebuild and came across this post. I was wondering has anyone's credit score increased after opening a Mission Lane Card? Most of the thread spoke about CLI, but I am more interested in the credit scoring. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance

Message 8 of 19
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Humbled82 wrote:

@Red1Blue @MileHigh96 @Drifter73 @bigseegar @AverageJoesCredit 

Hello group

I am in the process of a credit rebuild and came across this post. I was wondering has anyone's credit score increased after opening a Mission Lane Card? Most of the thread spoke about CLI, but I am more interested in the credit scoring. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance

Well that an impossible question to answer unless you only held the mission lane card. i had a group of subprime and store cards that when properly managed raised my scores about 100 points over 2 years.

Now my sl's are 6k - 7k and i get rewards cards and sub offers but my lowest int rate is still 14.99..

I will close my mission lane soon but i have nothing bad to say about them, they helped me step up. 

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 19
Humbled82
Established Member

@SUPERSQUID 

Thank you SUPERSQUID for the incite. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.