Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed Message - AMEX Customer Service

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Mixed Message - AMEX Customer Service

I wonder if they were having problems with their systems or just a strange very high spike in call volume.  Or maybe I'm just lucky.  I don't think I've ever waited longer than 30 seconds for someone to pick up the phone.  Once I've gotten through their menu system that is.  I find it annoying that it wants to tell me all my account info like balance, last payment, etc. before I can ask to speak to a rep.  But once I ask for a rep, they've always picked up near immediately. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

1. I believe all  Amex CSR are in Arizona, they don't use offshore call centers last I knew.

2. Sometimes you get reps that just don't know the product or fees, credit reports, etc.  I am never afraid to ask for a supervisor based on the fact that I want the correct information.

3. I don't think I have ever held for Amex for more than 10 mintues, I know it's the holidays but, it's not like it's the first they have delt witih! Hope that doesn't continue long.

I called AmEx in regards to one of my cards, don't remember which one, but anyway, the CSR I spoke to was in the Philippines, we spoke extensively, because my Ex girlfriend was from the same exact place (Quezon City) in the Philippines where he was at the time of the call.

He was a very nice CSR and spoke very good English, but like I said, he def was in the Philippines, because I also asked him how the weather was, we talked about the 12 hour time difference between here and there and all other kinds of stuff, it was actually a very pleasant phone call.

@ the OP, sorry to hear about your bad experience with AmEx and the delays you had to endure, I have never had this problem personally, and I've spoken to AmEx CSR's many, many times.

Hopefully they will make it right for you somehow.

Message 12 of 20
RyVision
Valued Contributor

I have to admit myself, not long ago I got a bit ticked that I couldn't understand a AMEX CSR. And it wasn't just about the "off shore" language issue. It was about the VOLUME of the sound I was getting. That, combined with a different dialect made it very hard to make out what they were saying, even asking them to adjust their mic as I was having a bit of trouble making out what they were saying didn't really help (if at all).

When I called in about my application for BCE I got a very loud and clear (volume A+!!) "corn fed Midwesterner" (as I've heard others say lol) and the went through my application, no go, but I got my EX later and really wasn't upset about it. Then I realized the EX they referenced was from a month prior, so I called (not the number I was told to call after a technical issue online), a regular number to AMEX and of course, entering my ZYNC info I then got a person, an off shore with mic volume issue and I couldn't hear over half of what she was saying. I was polite and even not really hearing what she said replied very politely  "ah ok, thank you very much, have a wonderful day too"....   What I could make out her saying was that the date of the EX score on my info was a typo or misprint. I do not EXPECT a typo or misprint from AMEX.  Especially when they're referencing my credit info or anything pertaining to it.

A few days after that I'm happy to report Discover was nice enough to give me "MORE" Smiley Very Happy And with volume (and adjustable mics that worked). 

AMEX is not the AMEX I remember from 20+ years ago, they're still AMEX of now, they've just changed a bit. I'm pretty sure they can afford better quality headsets too, for ALL their CSR's.  I do agree with another poster, whenever I call in and the system knows it's about my ZYNC and being I don't have a higher status card with them, bang, transfered to an iffy headset mic. Smiley Mad

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to admit, I've had one or two AmEx CSR's that were "less than" what you have come to expect from AmEx, I'm referring to the CSR's that I've spoke to regarding one of my Blue Cards.

On the other hand when I call the number on the back of my AmEx PR Gold card, the CSR's are a step above, very professional and polite, speak to me like I'm their best cardholder, I like that kind of service.

Discover also has very good CSR's, but I spoke to one the other day who seemed like he just found out his wife was cheating on him with his best friend, he was rude, short, just plain not nice, I kept my cool and politely said, thanks for the assistance, but I have no further questions, have a good day, buh bye!

Message 14 of 20
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

For me, The most annoying thing about calling AMEX is that awful BEEPING sound that they play at least every 30 seconds to constantly remind that you are being recorded. Drives me nuts !!!!
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:
For me, The most annoying thing about calling AMEX is that awful BEEPING sound that they play at least every 30 seconds to constantly remind that you are being recorded. Drives me nuts !!!!

+1 to that!!!

I knew I was forgetting to add something, and you hit the nail on the head.

Message 16 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

+1 to that!!!

Reminded me of NASA mission control when they were talking to astronauts on the moon (documentary I saw on the history channel a while back) Smiley Happy

There were beeps just like when you call AMEX.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

+1 to that!!!

Reminded me of NASA mission control when they were talking to astronauts on the moon (documentary I saw on the history channel a while back) Smiley Happy

There were beeps just like when you call AMEX.

Smiley Very Happy You're exactly right, I think I watched that program as well.

Message 18 of 20
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I got a response from American Express today.  Here is the response.  I will reserve comment. 

Response (Adahra Pfokreni)     12/10/2011 04:04 PM

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your email due to high volume of email inquiries.

I understand your concern and I truly regret hearing your experience at American Express.

I would definitely pass your feedback along to the appropriate management. While you may not see any change immediately, I would like to inform you that based on the feedback we received from you, changes are made for improvement and enable us to provide the highest quality of service to you.

I would like to inform you that issues related with Fraud have high level of sensitivity associated with it. The reason why the Fraud Unit operates via phone is that it enables them to interact with our valued Cardmembers, after they have followed the regular security checks with you.

The whole idea of this arrangement is to maintain the privacy and the security of your own account, which is of utmost importance to us.

Like, the Email Servicing Team, the Fraud Unit is not equipped with a Secure Messaging Service.

I assure you that your Card is active and good for future usage. You can use your Card confidently.

While you travel, in the event that we have a concern with any transaction on your account, we may still require a Merchant to contact us for approval to ensure your security and convenience while you travel.

I hope you will find this information useful.

Sincerely,

Edited to remove personal information - MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator  
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services

Message 19 of 20
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I've had hit-or-miss experiences with AMEX regarding my Clear when I call the 800 number on the back of the card. However, when I call the non-toll-free number on the back of the card, the call gets routed a little differently. I enter the account number, it skips over all the account balance information (but gives me the option to hear it "again"), and pressing 0 lands me a domestic representative that is consistently helpful and easy to understand.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.