Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Capital One Negativity

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: More Capital One Negativity

Capital One is the best sub-prime lender in the business, but I think there comes a time when it just makes sense to move on.  When I closed my first Cap1 card I struggled with the descision because I wanted to give back to the company that had been there for me, but the bottom line is that they just don't care so I don't think we should either.  It's just business and their business model works for them and you have to make your business model work for you.  I think that simply means once you are out of sub-prime territory you drop the sub-prime lenders and move on. 

Message 21 of 59
bobbay
Established Contributor

Why all the negativity?  The card is less than a year old?  Your AAoA < 1yr?  It is widely known cap one will make you work for your higher limit use it for what it is.  Also what guidelines has GM given cap one for underwriting?  I am not sure how much money was lost on the HSBC GM cards but they may be being a little more conservative(GM).  Also,  IMO, the big  benefit are the gross up opportunities and award certificates when you are close to ready to purchase a new vehicle.  I would say, use it, let it grow, and get another everyday card and not waste the energy pushing on a string.

just my thoughts.

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 22 of 59
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

Why all the negativity?  The card is less than a year old?  Your AAoA < 1yr?  It is widely known cap one will make you work for your higher limit use it for what it is.  Also what guidelines has GM given cap one for underwriting?  I am not sure how much money was lost on the HSBC GM cards but they may be being a little more conservative(GM).  Also,  IMO, the big  benefit are the gross up opportunities and award certificates when you are close to ready to purchase a new vehicle.  I would say, use it, let it grow, and get another everyday card and not waste the energy pushing on a string.

just my thoughts.

That's right, then again Citibank & Cap1 approved at the same exact date. Citibank upon personal request approved a CLI X3 Smiley Surprised in only 3 months sparking increased loyalty and useage. By the same token Crap 1 acts like they can't handle meeting even meager expectations for a CLI at this length of time while most all CC's after them don't have any difficulty. Even asked Crap 1 EO $100 beats a blank denial for a HP on EQ but do you think they would budge? Why even offer the dam thing (WEMC) supporting GM if they're only doing mediocre SL's and misrepresenting that product as some progressive prime product when it's not even close to living up to it's HYPE!

But enough said. It was a learning lesson to avoid Crap 1 at all costs in the future and never recommend them in good conscience.

Message 23 of 59
junior88
Frequent Contributor

I do not care for C1 at all but I did just recently get approved for the GM Card (extended family version) with a CL of $3000 and an EQ score of 645 is what their letter showed. EQ is my worse score by a long shot. The rest are over 700. Issue with EQ is a closed Auto note keeps reporting and has been closed since March. Makes me look like I am paying on 2 expensive cars.

11/13/23 TU 808 EX 800 EQ 806 ---- Discover $35,000/AmEx Delta Plat $30,000/Chase United $26,200/BOA $25,000/Macys AmEx $25,000/Sams Club MC $20,000GM Card $18,000/Chase IHG $16,000/Barclay Rewards $12,100/Dicks MasterCard $10,000/Lowes$15,000/BOA Cash Rewards $13,800/Citi Double Cash $9400/Citi Simplicity $8200/Target MC $8000/Wells Fargo Visa $7000/State Farm $4000
Message 24 of 59
NY2014
Established Contributor

Mohel li my name is NY2014 and I am a CAP'A HOLIC ! New Thread Coming soon After my relapse Smiley Happy
Fico Score 10/6 EQ 702,16 INQ,TU 740, 9,iNQ EX 705,21 INQ,13%UTIL-
,10 yrs history,1.6 yr AA Cap1 Plat,VentureOne,QS ,Barckey RCI, BBVA,Amex BCE,CSP,NFCU Flag, NFCU Go,NFCU,Cloc NFCU busin,NFCU busin Cloc,Amex Delta busn,Bj's busn Perks,Hawaiian air busin, Citi dc, Discover IT,Chase Hyatt,U.S bank flex perks.,Am,ex Business Plat JCP. Commercial, citi Hilton
Message 25 of 59
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Next month,  i'll have my cap 1 account for 2 years.  It was my first card, after getting back  in the cc game after 22 years.  My initial cl was 300 and then went to a final 1200.  It sat there for way over a year until I  hit the luv button that increased it to 3300 last feb.  It is coming up for its yearly renewal.  It  is now  1 out of 2 cards with a AF, the other is a Chase IHG rewards. I'm not going to close that, for the free night at any IHG hotel, the AF is worth it. I'm torn between canceling or renewing it out of loyalty.  I rarely use it.  I only have my monthly tivo subscription on it.  I'm torn because it allowed me to get other credit from Chase, BOA, Discover, WM discover, NFCU, to my two Amex cards,  with limits from 1500 to 12000.

Message 26 of 59
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

Just to put it out there.....  We are the outliers here.  What they do works for them with the majority of their clientele.  We -- here -- are more informed consumers and know better.  So we work the system to get better.  Is it right?  No, there should be an easier way.  But, does it work for 99% of their cases, probably.  We forget that many people do not have the knowledge we get here, and they may end up in that boat forever.  I do like my 1.5% though.  Don't take it personally.  Remember that we are outliers not the typical case they deal with.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 27 of 59
noobody
Established Contributor

after 2 accounts both with 14 years history with capital one, been denied CLI number times because of the lacking of usage, finally I decide email to EO, got a call back next business day, ask some basic info and how much CL i want, i was was approved what i asked, CLI from 4200 to 5K, CLI 1200 to 10K, i am sure if i ask more i would be approved also, but 15K QS is more than i ever need.

all these years, my accounts go from 48AF cards to no AF cards, no reward cards to capital one cash then to no fee quicksilver, i am fairly happy with them, it might be my main card if i cancel or PC my arrival+ next year when annual fee is due.

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 28 of 59
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

I like capital one a lot. The 1.5% qs card is great and better than a fid Amex if you ask me. I went in just over a years time from a 1300 secured card to a 3500 unsecured qs with the af removed by the eo. Also,  I got 2 cli one from credit steps and one from eo. I don't mind having to go thru them I find it kinda fun. Boa eo on the other hand is terrible I think they have the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 29 of 59
One7
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

Capital One is the best sub-prime lender in the business, but I think there comes a time when it just makes sense to move on.  When I closed my first Cap1 card I struggled with the descision because I wanted to give back to the company that had been there for me, but the bottom line is that they just don't care so I don't think we should either.  It's just business and their business model works for them and you have to make your business model work for you.  I think that simply means once you are out of sub-prime territory you drop the sub-prime lenders and move on. 

+1

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 30 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.