Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Card Closing Fun!

tag
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

More Card Closing Fun!

Well today I closed:

1. Amex and finished up closing the BCE card.

2. American Gem (Wells Fargo), CL $17,200.

3. DCU, closed both savings account and Visa, CL $10K.

4. Nordstrom Siggy Visa, CL $10K.

I am on the fence about saying goodbye to PSECU. I have the 20K/20K combo with them that I never use. While I liked getting the FICO score when I was building up my credit, now that I am in the 790's to 800's across the board, I do not really find any value.

My goal is ultimately 5 or 6 cards to cover all of the rewards while maintaining about $150K on open credit. That $150K is way more than I will ever need.

I started working on perfecting my credit a little over 2 years ago and with the help of this forum, I am reaching my goals!  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: More Card Closing Fun!

You still more than 150k available? Holy crap! It must of taken years to do THAT!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 18
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Ray, your signature says it all......congrats on refining the portfolio.  

Message 3 of 18
pt310
Frequent Contributor

Ray,

Just wondering how long it took you to accomplish this. I'm trying to do the same thing, (much smaller scale, tho).

Message 4 of 18
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

LOL. When I first came to this forum...I got excited by all the posts and credit cards and I myself took it to a whole new level like many of us do. When I came to this forum...I had only two credit cards with low limits. CAP1 $750 CL and Macy's $100 CL. I already had credit established since 2010 but it was on a lowwww scale. Many posts later and I learned about other cards and benefits and what to ask. Came in with $850 in available credit and left with 38k in available credit. of course I credit myFICO and its users. And trust when they say...ONLY SPEND WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO PAY! I did get a little excited and applied for a bunch of credit cards I didn't need. Ended up with 13 accounts that I have now leveled off to 8. Less is more Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@pt310 wrote:

Ray,

Just wondering how long it took you to accomplish this. I'm trying to do the same thing, (much smaller scale, tho).

I have worked on this for a little over two years. When I first started, I had one credit card (USAA MC) with a CL of $25k. Scores were in the low 700's.

During the past two years, we paid off all of our consumer debt (we had the USAA card maxed and three personal loans as well as a 2nd on the house) for a grand total of just about $72,000.00.

While things were getting paid off, the scores started to go up so I decided to get in to the reward game. I started new cards with an Amex Zync, a Barclay's Apple card, and a Discover card. NPSL on the Zync but the Apple Card had a $2200 CL and Discover I think was $1500.

We built the total credit limit up to $324,000 and joked around that we should cash advance everything and move to an island south of Florida - LOL...  Smiley Tongue

Fast forward to today, and I have really cut back the cards by closing them. I started an earlier thread on the first round of cuts. I look at what provides me with value. If it does, it stays, if not, it goes. No emotions play in to this.

So right now, the cards that I will use are:

1. Chase Freedom Siggy, $30k CL.

2. USAA World MC, $25k CL.

3. Amex Costco, $30k CL.

4. PenFed Cash Rewards Visa, $43k CL.

5. Target Visa, $4k CL - don't laugh - haha. My Wife works for Target and we shop there a lot.  Smiley Happy

Still have open cards from:

1. Wings FCU, $13k CL

2. PSECU, $20k combo - may end up cosing this.

3. Home Depot $16,500.

4. US Bank Cash + Visa, $22k CL.

And, other junk store cards that have been run down the shredder.

It has been a fun ride but it just becomes too much to manage and worry about. So, I will focus on what I have and work to get those limits increased even more.

I budget all of our money now which I did not do in the past. That has made a giant difference. In the past, money would just seem to fly out with nothing really to show for it.

Now my Wife and I enjoy fully funded Roth IRA's, Traditional IRA's, we both do the company match in our 401k's, and I invest at Lending Club.

It is amazing what you can accomplish when you have no CC debt!

Ray

Message 6 of 18
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

target still has a VISA? lol

Message 7 of 18
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

target still has a VISA? lol

Yep! We have had our card since 2010... Really small CL and that frustrates me but we get good use out of that card. I won't close it since they do not issue it any longer.

That may change though with TD Bank in the picture.

Ray

Message 8 of 18
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

great run ray.

whats your current util right now?

me bieng younger, i have TONS of time too work on my portfolio. 

i was dumb and ended up opening a bunch of cards i really didnt need. but i thought thats all i could get approved for. 

in the next 3 years i want too drop down too 5 or less as well (right now i have 10) 

whats your income if you dont mind me asking? and how many inq's do you have on your reports? lol 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 18
Luscher
Valued Contributor

+1 can we know you income? over 300k of credit available at one time is amazing sir
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.