Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More fraud :(

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: More fraud :(

Set up text alerts on all cards for $1 or more transactions. You will know the moment there is a swipe or CNP request.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

Set up text alerts on all cards for $1 or more transactions. You will know the moment there is a swipe or CNP request.

Very good idea! I do that and sorry I forgot to mention!

Message 12 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Got an email this morning from Chase for a $500+ charge at Home Depot on my Freedom card.

I really don't understand how that works if Home Depot requires you to insert the card so their terminal to read the chip. 

If someone tried to use a faux card, it wouldn't take it. I highly doubt your chip was duplicated, and if the card was swiped, the duplicated magnetic stripe wouldn't allow the transaction to go through, since it flags the card as "chip read only."  Same idea with Walmart. 

The fact that these both happened to you, both with cards that are supposed to have chips, both at merchants that are 100% compliant with the chip, and both at the same time makes me question how that even happened. 

Was it Home Depot and Walmart online, or in store? 

It's possible that OP's cards weren't chipped. A lot of banks are only adding the chip as the cards need replacing.

IMO, this is hardly a "thoughts and prayers" type situation either!   It's more or  less a specific victimless crime (in the sense we all pay higher costs, the "victim" isn't especially impacted)

Message 13 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Multiple posts have been removed from this thread for violatiing our TOS. I want to remind everyone that we dont judge people on these boards and that all comments must be made in an FSR way and that includes comments made in a disagreement with a posters comment. We are here to help people so lets make sure we keep on doing that. To those of you who are doing so we thank you!  Have a great day all Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Multiple posts have been removed from this thread for violatiing our TOS. I want to remind everyone that we dont judge people on these boards and that all comments must be made in an FSR way and that includes comments made in a disagreement with a posters comment. We are here to help people so lets make sure we keep on doing that. To those of you who are doing so we thank you!  Have a great day all Smiley Happy

Thanks for the reminder, gdale. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an IT security guy, I have to strongly recommend not storing ANY info in the browser. I know it makes it easier to access, but here's an example security profile for someone like most of us that accesses lots of financial info online:

1) A generally accepted password management app, for example Keepass2

2) If you need to access your passwords from multiple computers or devices, consider storing the password file on Google Drive. But be sure to strengthen your google pass and don't store it anywhere.

3) Strong passwords for EVERY account. Let the password management app generate them for you.

4) Don't store passwords or card info in browsers.  Don't store them in web stores, either, if given the option.  The extra minute will be worth it in the long run.

There are some scary exploits out there for browser-stored info.

Advanced/geek mode: Consider a sandboxed browser and permanent incognito mode.

Message 16 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As an IT security guy, I have to strongly recommend not storing ANY info in the browser. I know it makes it easier to access, but here's an example security profile for someone like most of us that accesses lots of financial info online:

1) A generally accepted password management app, for example Keepass2

2) If you need to access your passwords from multiple computers or devices, consider storing the password file on Google Drive. But be sure to strengthen your google pass and don't store it anywhere.

3) Strong passwords for EVERY account. Let the password management app generate them for you.

4) Don't store passwords or card info in browsers.  Don't store them in web stores, either, if given the option.  The extra minute will be worth it in the long run.

There are some scary exploits out there for browser-stored info.

Advanced/geek mode: Consider a sandboxed browser and permanent incognito mode.

Certainly good for bank accounts, not sure the loss of convenience is worthwhile for ccs!

Message 17 of 21
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

Out of my many credit cards, my freedom is the only card that does not have a chip but I have never gottened a fraud alert on it. However, my old BOA debit card that had a chip was compromised and I was sent a new card.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry this happened to you OP! It worries me about all of this fraud.

I keep the purchase alerts on all my cards, Marvel worries me because I only get notified if a purchase is over $100; $300 on my AEO card.

I have some strange long passwords these days, I have started making crazy passwords that include multiple words and symbols. (making them crazy helps, because I can remember them)

I hate online website accounts that will save your card info without asking, Bloomingdales automatically saves my credit card number in my online account without asking; it is truly irritating: I have to go in an manually remove the card after every purchase Smiley Frustrated

Best regards! I hope it all sorts out.

Message 19 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sorry this happened to you OP! It worries me about all of this fraud.

I keep the purchase alerts on all my cards, Marvel worries me because I only get notified if a purchase is over $100; $300 on my AEO card.

I have some strange long passwords these days, I have started making crazy passwords that include multiple words and symbols. (making them crazy helps, because I can remember them)

I hate online website accounts that will save your card info without asking, Bloomingdales automatically saves my credit card number in my online account without asking; it is truly irritating: I have to go in an manually remove the card after every purchase Smiley Frustrated

Best regards! I hope it all sorts out.

And if fraud happens.... what is the real impact?   For me, at least, I can deal with the odd fraud much better than getting notified each time my card is charged more than a $1 !

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.