Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most elite normal person card??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Most elite normal person card??

@PandiferBear wrote:

Blast it!!!  It seems the consensus so far is the Amex Platinum.  No way I can justify that fee!  I agree, though, prestigious-looking and pretty card, but not the hardest to get.  Man, it is rough to hear what you don't want to hear.  Smiley Very Happy  I am just so surprised that there were no cards that came up that I was not familiar with.  I guess we are just an informed bunch. Smiley Happy  If anyone else comes along with any ideas, I am here to hear.

if the CS is there then Amex Plat. is the way to go

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PandiferBear wrote:

Blast it!!!  It seems the consensus so far is the Amex Platinum.  No way I can justify that fee!  I agree, though, prestigious-looking and pretty card, but not the hardest to get.  Man, it is rough to hear what you don't want to hear.  Smiley Very Happy  I am just so surprised that there were no cards that came up that I was not familiar with.  I guess we are just an informed bunch. Smiley Happy  If anyone else comes along with any ideas, I am here to hear.

Everyone's situation differs obviously but I view the fee as just $250 after the $200 reimbursement for airline fees (a simple web search shows how you can easily get the entire $200 for most major airlines as a gift registry or gift card)

You can view the statement credit for GOES as $20 if averaged out over 5 years

Purchase protection is invaluable and provides another additional layer of coverage for lost items (not available on other Amex cards)

If you travel a lot and prefer luxurious brands, FHR can easily net you some pretty sweet deals that would pay for the AF in one swoop

Roadside assistance coverage allowed me to cancel my AAA membership

Status upgrades at Hertz, Avis, and National are nice

And to top all that off, lounge access. If you travel a lot or especially to any of the airports with a Centurion lounge (I frequent LGA a lot), that really clinches the deal for me Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 18
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

I am just not  a heavy enough spender (not even close).  But my question was definitely answered.  Thanks for everyone's opinion.  Would love to hear more.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 13 of 18
tjones9234
Contributor

Do you know if the Amex platinum has a minimum spending requirement ?
Message 14 of 18
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

There is no min spend on the plat or any of their offered cards.

I believe the only amex that has a minimum spending requirement is the Centurion (black) card. 

Message 15 of 18
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@tjones9234 wrote:
Do you know if the Amex platinum has a minimum spending requirement ?

yes, your $450 AF... otherwise no. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PandiferBear wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

I am just not  a heavy enough spender (not even close).  But my question was definitely answered.  Thanks for everyone's opinion.  Would love to hear more.

It's not much of a spending card, the rewards just aren't there 

A lot of people get the card more for its perks and allocate their spend elsewhere (obviously you'll need to spend some to get some of the perks like GOES and anything you want purchase protection on) 

Message 17 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

It's not much of a spending card, the rewards just aren't there 

A lot of people get the card more for its perks and allocate their spend elsewhere (obviously you'll need to spend some to get some of the perks like GOES and anything you want purchase protection on) 

The Amex plat is only worth it if you need/use the perks. That's what your paying for. As a credit card its a basic charge card and isn't anything special. To me the perks are not worth it, but for those who travel that can use the lounge access or other benefits maybe they can earn back the value.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.