cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

My  utilization and scores are at a point where I can leave the garden and pull the trigger on two cards.  I'm specifically looking to replace my two CapOne cards with two cards without AF's and more flexible rewards.  I'm looking for two companion cards to my Discover IT to maximize rewards.  That said, I try the prequalify sites regularly and get the following:

Chase - "your offers" and shows the Freedom and Slate  (opt out prescreen message shows at the bottom of the page which makes it seem more legit)

Citi - "congratulations, you are prequalified for the following card and 4 others below"....   (opt out prescreen message also shows on this one)

US Bank - "your card offers" and shows FlexPerks, Platinum and Harley Davidson Sig Visa  (opt out messages does NOT show on this one... makes me question it)

BoA, Barclay and AMEX read "we couldn't match your profile to a prequalfied offer but the following cards may interest you".  I think I have a good shot at the Sallie Mae card which I really want but I'm going to have to think on that one.

Of the above, which are gimmicks trying to get someone to apply and which are solid offers?  I know there are no guarantees but I'm sure some are more reliable than others.  If you have had a prequal and applied and were approved or declined, may I ask that you please share your experience?

Thanks so much for sharing and your input.

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

@axledobe wrote:

My  utilization and scores are at a point where I can leave the garden and pull the trigger on two cards.  I'm specifically looking to replace my two CapOne cards with two cards without AF's and more flexible rewards.  I'm looking for two companion cards to my Discover IT to maximize rewards.  That said, I try the prequalify sites regularly and get the following:

Chase - "your offers" and shows the Freedom and Slate  (opt out prescreen message shows at the bottom of the page which makes it seem more legit)

Citi - "congratulations, you are prequalified for the following card and 4 others below"....   (opt out prescreen message also shows on this one)

US Bank - "your card offers" and shows FlexPerks, Platinum and Harley Davidson Sig Visa  (opt out messages does NOT show on this one... makes me question it)

BoA, Barclay and AMEX read "we couldn't match your profile to a prequalfied offer but the following cards may interest you".  I think I have a good shot at the Sallie Mae card which I really want but I'm going to have to think on that one.

Of the above, which are gimmicks trying to get someone to apply and which are solid offers?  I know there are no guarantees but I'm sure some are more reliable than others.  If you have had a prequal and applied and were approved or declined, may I ask that you please share your experience?

Thanks so much for sharing and your input.

If I had to choose one, it would be Chase. However, I'm sure you realize that no pre-approval is a written-in-stone guarantee. By what I've read here, Chase is the most "probable" to approve if offered a pre-whatever offer. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 33
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Indio.  I appreciate the feedback.  Even though I can't seem to prompt Barclay to spit out anything, should that totally discourage me from app'ing for the Sallie Mae?  TU is pretty solid for me (730ish, 1% util, no derogs, last pull was 6 months ago by Barclay themselves).  I guess my question is, should I only apply for those who prequal me or should I go by my research, credit pull database and use my best hypothesis and common sense approach when app'ing?

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 33
RnJ
Contributor

I applied for Chase directly, twice, without pre-quals or pre-approvals.  Instant approvals.

As for Citi, anecdotally, I had a mailed pre-qual from Citi for TYP, went to the site and checked the pre-quals and it came up with "couldn't find (whatever)...but you might be interested in this - Citi dividend platinum select".  Exited out of browser, went to site again and used the mailed pre-qual invitation number and was approved instantly for the TYP.

If you feel your credit profile supports it, apply for whatever you feel you would be comfortable with, and the card(s) you would benefit from the rewards.  If possible, also consider getting in with Amex at some point if you're not already, but make sure your scores support it, no baddies, etc.

Message 4 of 33
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, RnJ.  Your post was so helpful.  Due to the fact that EX likes to make people pay for their mistakes right up to the very last day, I'm trying to steer clear of an EX pull if at all possbile.  EQ and TU are spotless and they dropped off a ridiculous $541 state tax lien I knew nothing about (seriously) until 2008 and I paid it immediately.  TU and EQ deleted it what seems to be a year and a half early.  EX says July 2015 and not a day before.  Me being in KY, US Bank and Barclay are nails for a TU pull.  The Huntington Voice card is an almost certain EQ pull and I like the reward structure.  I'll have to pay my dues and wait for an AMEX until next year although my score is over 700 on EX but I don't want to take the chance.  That BCP card is calling my name.  Dang it...  lol

Message 5 of 33
RnJ
Contributor

Well, shoot, that doesn't help Smiley Sad

Citi pulls EX or EQ, it seems YYMV - mine pulled EX.

Chase pulls EX, as does Amex.

Any way to freeze EX?  I wouldn't normally recommend doing so, but upon recon, you might be able to ask for them pulling EQ for example.  I really have no experience with freezes to get them to pull what you want, might ask for others to chime in, or start a new post to get an idea if others got approved by that method.

Here's wishing you luck, and hope you can get the ones you want one way or another!

Message 6 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

AFAIK, most of the pre-qual sites are matching you against existing offers, rather than doing new SPs for example.

So, while the existence of a preapproval isn't a guarantee (but IS positive to a non-zero extent!) the absence of one doesn't mean anything. It might be that there hasn't been a recent campaign in your region or for people in your CR demographic, which is why we see so much of "I didn't have any approvals but I applied for .. and got instant approval"

View pre-approvals as one way, not getting one doesn't mean you won't get approved. Which also means, re the OPs Sallie Mae question, there isn't usually a good reason to restrict yourself to cards for which you get a preapproval if there are others you really want more.

Message 7 of 33
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@RnJ wrote:

Well, shoot, that doesn't help Smiley Sad

Citi pulls EX or EQ, it seems YYMV - mine pulled EX.

Chase pulls EX, as does Amex.

Any way to freeze EX?  I wouldn't normally recommend doing so, but upon recon, you might be able to ask for them pulling EQ for example.  I really have no experience with freezes to get them to pull what you want, might ask for others to chime in, or start a new post to get an idea if others got approved by that method.

Here's wishing you luck, and hope you can get the ones you want one way or another!

Just a friendly reminder- suggesting/advising the freezing of credit report(s) so that a lender pulls a more favorable bureau is a TOS violation.

~Lexie, myFICO Moderator. 

Message 8 of 33
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Chase and citi are most reliable

Message 9 of 33
RnJ
Contributor

Apologies, MOD, won't happen again.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.