cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

tag
39Xelor
Established Member

Re: Most trustworthy prequalify/preapprovals...

@yudeology101 wrote:

@39Xelor wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Even today, all the pre-qualified sites don't offer anything for me, ALWAYS giving me the "Sorry we can't match any offer based on your profile, but..." msg.  I mean I still applied for all the cards I have and were approved (except Citi AA Executive Smiley Frustrated).  I'm not opted out for anything, but still I guess based on my given credit profile, none of the sites don't like it, even at credicards.com still matches me w/ First Premier (4 out of 7 offers) and Cap1 Secured. 

So my opinion?  Don't rely on them too much. 

I'm pretty sure First Premier has financial ties to Creditcards.com because EVERYBODY who goes to that site gets the offer for first premier.. 830 Fico? FIRST PREMIER! Ridiculous..

LOL sometimes it makes me think that perhaps First Premier is the sole owner of the site after making $$$s from their outrageous APR fees! 

Haha I wouldnt be surpised if they were the sole owners.. I would love to see a spread sheet of how much they bring in a year from annual fees alone!

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 21 of 33
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

I looked at these again this morning for kicks.  Citi actually quotes an interest rate/APR on their 'prequalified offer".  That would lead one to believe you're pretty much in if you apply.  Chase and US Bank didn't on theirs.

If there's anyone out there that hasn't checked Citi's prequalified offers lately, I'd like to hear what it spits out for others just to compare.  The problem is, Citi's cards just aren't up there with others as far as rewards go based on my spending.  It seems like Barclay, Chase and Discover have some of the best things going right now.  The Huntington Voice card is not too shabby either but they charge a $3 ACH fee per payment to pay your bill from another checking account assuming you just have the card but no checking account with them.  That can and will certainly dip into the rewards if you don't bank with them.  When I had my car loan with HNB, I had to pay a $5 service fee to make a payment online.  I mean, who mails checks anymore?  lol

Thanks again to all who have replied.  You guys and gals are awesome.... 

I think that Citi's pre-quals are generally junk. I've seen post after post here of people getting them, applying, and being denied. That said, to answer your question here is what I got (Citi denied me a couple months ago, and recon was useless- so I don't intend to apply for them til I have every other card I want first):

Citi Simplicity: 0% for 18 months, 12.99-21.00 APR

Citi Thank You Preferred: 0% for 12 months, 12.99-22.99 APR

Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage WMC- 15.24% Variable

Citi Diamond Preferred: 0% for 18 months, 11.99-21.99 APR after

Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa: 0% for 12 months, 12.99-22.99 after.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 22 of 33
39Xelor
Established Member

@notfancy wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

I looked at these again this morning for kicks.  Citi actually quotes an interest rate/APR on their 'prequalified offer".  That would lead one to believe you're pretty much in if you apply.  Chase and US Bank didn't on theirs.

If there's anyone out there that hasn't checked Citi's prequalified offers lately, I'd like to hear what it spits out for others just to compare.  The problem is, Citi's cards just aren't up there with others as far as rewards go based on my spending.  It seems like Barclay, Chase and Discover have some of the best things going right now.  The Huntington Voice card is not too shabby either but they charge a $3 ACH fee per payment to pay your bill from another checking account assuming you just have the card but no checking account with them.  That can and will certainly dip into the rewards if you don't bank with them.  When I had my car loan with HNB, I had to pay a $5 service fee to make a payment online.  I mean, who mails checks anymore?  lol

I think that Citi's pre-quals are generally junk. I've seen post after post here of people getting them, applying, and being denied. That said, to answer your question here is what I got (Citi denied me a couple months ago, and recon was useless- so I don't intend to apply for them til I have every other card I want first):

Are they sending you Pre-Quals or Pre-Selectedoffers? Huge difference! Pre-selected almost literally means nothing! In terms of how much credibility the letter has it goes like this:

Best chance at approval - Pre Approval

Second best chance at approval - Pre Qualified

Last is Pre Selected which as I stated earlier really almost means nothing. In fact, some letters say To: "Mr. Smith or current resident". That shows you that the pre selected means ditto!

Message 23 of 33
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@39Xelor wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

Are they sending you Pre-Quals or Pre-Selectedoffers? Huge difference! Pre-selected almost literally means nothing! In terms of how much credibility the letter has it goes like this:

Last is Pre Selected which as I stated earlier really almost means nothing. In fact, some letters say To: "Mr. Smith or current resident". That shows you that the pre selected means ditto!

On the website I'm 95% positive it said prequalified, but I have gotten letters that say pre-selected.

I am a reformed problem child in the GC, so I can not go and look for a third time, or I think I may have the ERTs interupting my nap by soundling alarms and sending scary mom's with wooden spoons after me.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Message 24 of 33
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I just did it again... they're probably going to hate me.  Here's copied and pasted from the top of the page with my name edited:

XXXX XXXXX, you've been pre-qualified for the following credit card offers. See below for 4 additional offer(s).

For all 5 cards mentioned, it gives me a specific interest rate (between 15.24 and 22.9% depending on the card).  It does not show a 'range based on credit worthiness' like many do.  Here's what is says for the Diamond Preferred card specifically:

Purchase APR

0% Intro APR on purchases for 18 months; After that the variable APR will be21.99%.

On the Thank you Preferred, their offer to me is 15,000 thank you points instead of the 20,000 like they nationally advertise as a perk to that card.  Here's what it shows me, copied and pasted:

Earn 15,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $1,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening3 - redeem for $150 in gift cards or other great rewards

**39Xelor - it didn't give you a specific APR for each card like above?  Did it mention anything about thank you points?  I'm thinking maybe I should take offense to their 5,000 less thank you points offered specifically to me.  Am I not worth the 20K?  LOL

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 25 of 33
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

I just did it again... they're probably going to hate me.  Here's copied and pasted from the top of the page with my name edited:

XXXX XXXXX, you've been pre-qualified for the following credit card offers. See below for 4 additional offer(s).

For all 5 cards mentioned, it gives me a specific interest rate (between 15.24 and 22.9% depending on the card).  It does not show a 'range based on credit worthiness' like many do.  Here's what is says for the Diamond Preferred card specifically:

Purchase APR

0% Intro APR on purchases for 18 months; After that the variable APR will be21.99%.

On the Thank you Preferred, their offer to me is 15,000 thank you points instead of the 20,000 like they nationally advertise as a perk to that card.  Here's what it shows me, copied and pasted:

Earn 15,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $1,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening3 - redeem for $150 in gift cards or other great rewards

**39Xelor - it didn't give you a specific APR for each card like above?  Did it mention anything about thank you points?  I'm thinking maybe I should take offense to their 5,000 less thank you points offered specifically to me.  Am I not worth the 20K?  LOL

the only one I got a specific APR for and not a range was the Aadvantage WMC

Message 26 of 33
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

notfancy - thank so much for trying this.  We may be onto something if they are quoting specific APR's when this pops up.  For the AAdvantage, was yours also 15.24%?  

Message 27 of 33
39Xelor
Established Member

@notfancy wrote:

@39Xelor wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

On the website I'm 95% positive it said prequalified, but I have gotten letters that say pre-selected.

I am a reformed problem child in the GC, so I can not go and look for a third time, or I think I may have the ERTs interupting my nap by soundling alarms and sending scary mom's with wooden spoons after me.

Haha no we wouldnt! If you're checking the site its most likely a pre-qual.. the letters you receive can be any of the three and will say on the letter.. pre approval, pre qual or pre selected

Message 28 of 33
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

notfancy - thank so much for trying this.  We may be onto something if they are quoting specific APR's when this pops up.  For the AAdvantage, was yours also 15.24%?  

Axle I think you maybe confused my post. Smiley Happy I was the one that posted the numbers for and what pre-approvals I received. The other poster quoted me. Smiley Happy

I am hoping though that we can glean some knowledge out of this. Perhaps you are correct in that if you're given a range you are still likely to be turned down, where as if you get one APR then your changes of approval are higher. It will be interesting to see how that turns out when someone actually applies and supplies this information. Perhaps that is just the standard APR for the WMC.

I can't actually let you know much more until probably the end of the year, as I don't intend to even consider applying to Citi til then. I have other things I want first, and I'm turned off by this company as they just declined me a couple months ago, including on recon. My credit profile has not changed all that significantly since then, so despite their computer liking me a little bit more, I'm positive I'd be declined again if I apply and I have enough inquiries as it is right now. Smiley Sad

Message 29 of 33
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

notfancy - you are correct.  Sorry about that.  I understand your reservation in reapplying and totally respect your garden status.  I'm glad you brought up the denial, though.  I, too, was denied when I app'ed for the Diamond Preferred card on 2/19/2013 upon CK's lovely recommendation that I had a 'good' chance for approval.  I have since learned never to trust one thing CK recommends and use it only for TU monitoring purposes.  My FAKO there?  642.  Real TU FICO?  716... just wow.

That said, I've been trying prequal links for over 60 days now.  I'll admit, I'm somewhat addicted (LOL).  Given that my credit used to be in the crapper for many years, it feels good to get anything to pop up on these links.  Citi's site never gave me a prequal until just a couple days ago.  Guess what?  That was the 1 year mark or one day past my last HP on both EQ and EX and my last pull was by Citi themselves.  That makes you wonder if they are reading number of HP's with these offers somehow.  On about that same day (2/19), I went from 66% util to around 30'ish% util which boosted my scores, too.  Maybe it was both that prompted the offers.  

I'm with you, though.  We may be onto something..... if so, I hope this helps anyone who is looking to apply for a Citi card in the future.  If their Dividend card would just get some usuable categories, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger.....

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.