Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Amex Limits

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Moving Amex Limits

Wanted to share this and see what other people's experience was.

Contacted Amex via chat to inquire about possibly closing the Delta Gold and moving the limit to my Platinum. The rep came back and said it isn't possible. He then tried to disconnect, but I asked him why. This is the response I received.

PhotoGrid_1584234892959.jpg

Anyone with personal experience closing a card and moving the limit? Also, when did you do it? Want to see if I got wrong info and if not, try to pinpoint if there was a policy change, and when.

Stay Gucci my friends.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Moving Amex Limits

In most cases with banks you do have to leave a small limit like $500 behind when moving limits, even if closing the account.

Message 2 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Interesting. I've never had to do that before.

Message 3 of 12
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Yes.  Whatever the minimum is for the Gold would have to be left. Not sure what that is.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 4 of 12
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@seattletravels wrote:

Yes.  Whatever the minimum is for the Gold would have to be left. Not sure what that is.

The lowest on Amex is 1k that has to be left. At least others like Chase are only $500.

Message 5 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

My experience with Amex runs deep. Yes for Me it has been $500 Minumum to $1000,

depending on the Revolver. (for closing purposes)

Were there times I have been pissed at Amex?, HELL Yes!  I closed a card at 30 days.

I was so pissed one time, I told the CSR, I would close all 7 and would'nt look back.

"Oh but We appreciate you since the early 1980's" .. HA! .. I said prove it. <end of rant>

and yes I still have 6 revolvers and 1 charge card.

Some other lenders will let you take all of the CL and transfer to another card before closing it.

It seems to be a YMMV across different lender's. And as you know, some will not reallocate a single nickelSmiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

For what it's worth, when I had my Delta Gold with a $1k credit line I was also unable to reallocate any of the credit line to another card... I had to simply close it. 

If the Delta Blue had been an option at the time I would have downgraded, but it wasn't. Smiley Sad

I also had to leave $1k on my BCP... I first tried only leaving $500, but they wouldn't allow it (I got a letter). 

Message 7 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

For what it's worth, when I had my Delta Gold with a $1k credit line I was also unable to reallocate any of the credit line to another card... I had to simply close it. 

If the Delta Blue had been an option at the time I would have downgraded, but it wasn't. Smiley Sad

I also had to leave $1k on my BCP... I first tried only leaving $500, but they wouldn't allow it (I got a letter). 

I'd rather open a blue for the sub and close the gold.

Message 8 of 12
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

dont mean to hijack but it's related so thought i would share here. recently approved for 2k on an Amex ED. Right after adding the card to my account I moved 4k over from my Amex Hilton. Did it online, was approved immediately. Tried to move another 4k from another Amex Hilton but received a 7-10 days message. Anyone else have this happen to them?  Thoughts on why Amex would deny this move?

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 9 of 12
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Need to wait 30 days.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.