Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Venture Miles to QS - Weird Result

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Moving Venture Miles to QS - Weird Result

I regularly move my cash rewards from my QS Visa to my QS MasterCard for ease of accounting, and while doing so I was curious if it would be possible to move "miles" from a Venture to a Quicksilver, and if so if it would be at 1% or 2%.

This is a screen shot of what I got (I didn't submit it):

VentureMilesXfer.png

You might notice as I did that that it is saying I can move over 179 Venture 'miles' to my Quicksilver as $179.  Even at a value of the full 2%, the 'miles' should only be worth $1.79.  It appears the Capital One system is saying that each 'mile' is worth $1, which is obviously wrong (I only spent $89 to earn the 179 'miles'). 

I did a quick search and found somebody mentioning the opposite situation (one QS dollar being moved as one mile) which obviously is a terrible deal, but I've not read of my specific case.

I know this is in error and even if the system somehow processed it it would be reversed at some point, but I was just curious if anybody else has seen this with their own cards.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving Venture Miles to QS - Weird Result

Ii woulda triedd the move before posting here lol. I would have bought $200 worth of scotch transfer the money over and pretty much paid it off. Bank error in your favor collect $200
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not realize it was even possible to transfer the miles from Venture/Venture One to Quicksilver.  Plus, wouldn't 179 miles only be worth $1.79 on Venture?  If they allow this, you should go buy a lotto ticket! 

ETA: my math was way wrong, changed $17.90 to $1.79

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know you could move your rewards.....good to know! 

Too bad the $179 isn't a legitimate glitch 😂

Message 4 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ii woulda triedd the move before posting here lol. I would have bought $200 worth of scotch transfer the money over and pretty much paid it off. Bank error in your favor collect $200

LOL... I'm sure there would be a claw back before I could even put ice in the glasses.  Smiley Very Happy  I would actually be extremely pleased with a transfer at 1 'mile' = 1¢. 

I'm just surprised they haven't found and fixed this yet.

Message 5 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

I didn't know you could move your rewards.....good to know! 

Too bad the $179 isn't a legitimate glitch 😂

I know, right?  LOL

For a split-second I considered doing a chat to have them take a look, but right now my accounts are able to be combined with no problems, and if I bring this to their attention either the CSR or someone else might use my accounts to 'poke around' at the issue, possibly messing up something in the process.  (If it aint broke...)

I have no problems moving rewards from my QS Visa to my QS MasterCard, but before when I tried in the other direction it wouldn't let me.  Their system is definitely 'quirky', but as long as I can move in one direction or the other with the QS cards I can make it work.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 19
Bone35
Regular Contributor

I just checked and Im able to transfer $45,000 Smiley Surprised Its giving me 1 point to $1 value..lmao

hmmm...What to do? JK..Not worth it imo. If anyone is considering this, use caution because we both know they will get it back but you will lose  in the end since miles transfer to half their value in cash.

Worst case scenario they close account for abuse or whatever reason they would state Smiley Sad (I know I would if I was them)

Message 7 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Bone35 wrote:

I just checked and Im able to transfer $45,000 Smiley Surprised Its giving me 1 point to $1 value..lmao

hmmm...What to do? JK..Not worth it imo. If anyone is considering this, use caution because we both know they will get it back but you will lose  in the end since miles transfer to half their value in cash.

Worst case scenario they close account for abuse or whatever reason they would state Smiley Sad (I know I would if I was them)

I agree... definitely not worth it; it's not like anybody would be able to get away with it, anyway. 

I prefer to fly as far 'under the radar' as I can, thus why I didn't reach out to a CSR.  I don't want to give them any reason to look at my account as long as things are working correctly.  I also agree that if I were them and somebody abused this I would also likely close the account... there's really no defense if anybody finds themselves in that situation.

Thanks for sharing... at least now I know it's not just me (sometimes it's good to not be 'special'... LOL).  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Bone35 wrote:

I agree... definitely not worth it; it's not like anybody would be able to get away with it, anyway. 

I prefer to fly as far 'under the radar' as I can, thus why I didn't reach out to a CSR.  I don't want to give them any reason to look at my account as long as things are working correctly.  I also agree that if I were them and somebody abused this I would also likely close the account... there's really no defense if anybody finds themselves in that situation.

Thanks for sharing... at least now I know it's not just me (sometimes it's good to not be 'special'... LOL).  Smiley Happy

I guess my risk assessment is very different.    While either side can close for any reason, this isn't abuse, you move the miles, and expect the system to do the right thing. AFAIK, there is no offfical stated conversion ratio, so it's not up to you to see that one mile per $ is, um, on the generous side!    

I also think that, at least unitl this was posted(!), the chances of this being seen is pretty small, your Venture balance went down, your QS balance went up, nothing particularly flag-setting about that...

ETA: didn't take in the amount in the previous post.  While $179 isn't that special, $45K probably is....   

Message 9 of 19
Bone35
Regular Contributor

We are of same mind Smiley Happy

But lets be honest, some knucklehead is going to read this, or by chance like you stumble upon it on their own...Wonder who? lol!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.