Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving limits between Amex cards

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Moving limits between Amex cards

in My experience with Amex, best to call in and talk to a Representative.

I have moved limits from Card to Card both less than 1 year old.

They have never let me have the card I'm taking from get below the $1000 Threshold.

I have always had to Keep $1000 on The Donor Card.

as pointed out upthread, they may take several things into consideration.

I was denied once online, called in, approved Immediately.

logged in, and it showed within 5 Minutes.

YMMV

Message 11 of 18
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Honestly, they're probably going to deny you the credit limit move. I've requested them twice and got the same message with denial letters after. My credit limit was too small to move over to the other card. Didnt' seem right because they said you had to leave at least $500 on one card, which I did, but they still denied it. I just don't use my BCE and I wanted to move some of the limit from that one to the BCP, but it was a no go. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 12 of 18
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

Honestly, they're probably going to deny you the credit limit move. I've requested them twice and got the same message with denial letters after. My credit limit was too small to move over to the other card. Didnt' seem right because they said you had to leave at least $500 on one card, which I did, but they still denied it. I just don't use my BCE and I wanted to move some of the limit from that one to the BCP, but it was a no go. 

Some good info here. Does anyone know if you're closing a card do they let you move the entire CL to another card? Later this year I plan to app for Cash Magnet and then close my Everyday card and move the CL to Cash Magnet, MR points don't work for me, I don't travel.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

From all I’ve read, no - as Queen mentioned regarding a minimum of $500 has to stay on a card during a reallocation, it also must when doing this to close a card. You’d have to leave at least $500 on your ED before closing it, but the rest of your ED limit should be portable to the CM.
Message 14 of 18
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
From all I’ve read, no - as Queen mentioned regarding a minimum of $500 has to stay on a card during a reallocation, it also must when doing this to close a card. You’d have to leave at least $500 on your ED before closing it, but the rest of your ED limit should be portable to the CM.

In my experience, and echoed by M_Smart007 above, the true minimum limit is actually $1000, and higher for some cards.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will definitely defer to you on this, as I haven’t done any limit reallocations on my own cards - thank you for clarifying 👍
Message 16 of 18
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

Some good info here. Does anyone know if you're closing a card do they let you move the entire CL to another card? Later this year I plan to app for Cash Magnet and then close my Everyday card and move the CL to Cash Magnet, MR points don't work for me, I don't travel.

I was going to close my BCE card and move that limit to the BCP, but the rep told me I had to leave at least $500 on the BCE. Since the limit was $1,000, I decided to just keep it open in the hopes of receiving a CLI in the future. There's no annual fee, so no harm in keeping it open. If I do get a CLI, I'll close the BCE and move the limit over.

It seems as though some cards may require a higher minimum like some other posters have mentioned. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 17 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
 Amex wouldnt let me move limits to my Bonvoy card lol

ya, @AJC

They frown on trying to move $50k SL's From Navy Platinum CardsSmiley Wink

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.