Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Europe for 3 years, plan for apps and long term

tag
mrpuffrabbit
Valued Member

Moving to Europe for 3 years, plan for apps and long term

Hello y'all, I'm asking for some help with some long-term planning I want to do. I was a newbie a month ago, but ever since discovering this forum, I realized that I can get some help and feedback from som real experts!

Some DPs:

• Moving to France for a PhD in two months, for the next 3 years.
  • I've only had a Discover IT card for the past 6 years going from a $1250 SL to today $11,000 CL. (AoOA 6 yrs)
  • Even though I've been a newbie with that card, always PIF
  • I applied and got approved for (and now regret) a VentureOne card with a 25000 mile bonus this last month with a $5000 SL. I'll try to raise this, but from what I've read, not really feasible.
    Opened this since of SUB and it was a Visa; Visa/MC are always accepted in Paris
  • Salary was 45k, can't use as payslips since I stopped 2 months ago. Once I move, salary becomes 26k.
  • HPs : 1
  • Utilization: 0%
  • Exp Fico 8 is 775
  • Been banking with Chase (not interested in their Trifeca right now since of limited time and FTF)
  • Okay with multiple cards
  • Edit: no other loans/student loans

Goals:

• Want to be able to start a relationship with a CU. Not a lot of time before moving, but I like the idea of being with SDFCU/NFCU/Penfed. Also still have US address available.
  • Looking for reward cards/2% flat that have no FTF. (I should have gotten the SavorOne Smiley Sad). The biggest spending categories are probably going to be Groceries, Travel (once per year), and Dining in that order.

Questions and planning:

• One idea I have is applying with SDFCU to get their 2% card, but worried about my income level if I were to show them $26k. But they seem to be the most understanding with expats. Afterward (6 months + later) I was thinking of just applying for the SavorOne (no guarantee to get the SUB again). Is this plan feasible with my restrictions?
  • Another idea is that if I fail to meet SDFCU, I could try Penfed. The PenFed rewards hits groceries and restaurants. Their 2% is okay too, but with the restriction with their checking. (Coming back after 3 years, I will probably apply for an auto loan.)
    Other ones, but come with AF but nice perks : UNFCU Elite (possible to get as first card?) & US bank AR (no prior history).
  • Are there any other options, or something that includes travel?
  • Should I go on an App Spree since I'll be overseas for 3 years?
  • Does anyone know if cell phone protection works on monthy bills from foreign cell phone providers? I know extended warranty on US manufactures don't when I called CapOne.

Sorry for the long post but I like to provide as much information as possible. I appreciate any advice on what credit cards to consider, something that I'm missing or on how to build my credit score. Thanks in advance!

Feb 2022 F8 - EQ: 785 | EX: 780 | TU: 795
Curve Card misconceptions - facts/DPs and discussion
19 REPLIES 19
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Re: Moving to Europe for 3 years, plan for apps and long term

Do some reasearch on chip and pin cards you may need one of those to get around europe

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 2 of 20
mrpuffrabbit
Valued Member

@Hoben02 wrote:

Do some reasearch on chip and pin cards you may need one of those to get around europe

Yes I totaly have! Thanks for your advice. I have an ex-coworker who went there for a week for business, he said basically:

• Contactless works for <= 50 euros for any Visa/MC
  • This limit also extends to Apply pay
  • Pin and signature sometimes work for > 50 euros, in-store
  • Online doesn't matter

Message 3 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Not sure about Paris, but my PhD student daughter in the UK is able to use mobile pay (samsung in her case) for almost everything except online, making the Altitude Reserve ideal.   And this avoids any issue with chip&sig cards.   Also, at least there, the contactless cap doesn't apply to mobile pay.    But of course France may be different, although several online sources suggest mobile pay is now widespread in Paris.

Message 4 of 20
calyx
Super Contributor

@Hoben02 wrote:

^   To add to this, you can ask for Chip and Pin with SDFCU's 2% (it's also contactless).

I have to admit that it's pretty much my favorite card and my daily driver since it's flat, has no minimum for cashback redemption and has no FTF (mine is Chip & Pin since I planned to use it for travel before COVID happened)   Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to try with them, even though you have a low income.  They will ask for a lot of information, but they seem to be fairly understanding.  If you make them your primary banking institution, that would go some way with them as well.

Check your FICO2 score (EX FICO 2) - that's the score they use.  With few accounts, it should be fairly decent.   If you do go for SDFCU, you'll want to apply as a member & for the visa at the same time since it will be an HP.   

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 20
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Maybe the bofa premium will work looks like they added a grocery bonus recently to the card. For travel purposes it has the widest category what it counts as travel. Also, if you don't mind accumulating aa giftcards it will offset the annual fee

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 6 of 20
DONZI
Established Contributor

I've limited experience with using credit cards outside of the USA, but have noticed that my American Express Platinum provides a very welcome breakdown of the foreign currency and establishment with additional data. This helped me a lot to match up transactions to receipts and see the $USD <-> $?? amounts when spending in non-US currency.

Best I can tell is only the Amex Corp. cards offer EMV / Chip-and-PIN functionality.

My NFCU More Rewards statements offer no currency details and only basic establishment information.

The extra data on the Platinum statement for me is definitely going to be something I'd want in any other cards I'll be using out of the USA in the future.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 7 of 20
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Welcome to My Fico forums, @mrpuffrabbitSmiley Happy

See my comments below.

Goals:
  • Want to be able to start a relationship with a CU. Not a lot of time before moving, but I like the idea of being with SDFCU/NFCU/Penfed. Also still have US address available.

The Chip-and-Pin comment was spot-on and something to consider.  It's good to find out if a given card is capable of being Chip-and-Pin but is signature priority versus being automatically PIN priority.  Many US cards don't even offer that option.   Out of lenders you've mentioned, UNFCU is PIN-Preferred while SDFCU, NFCU, and PenFed are Signature-preferred but can be set to a PIN.  Another US lender whose cards are PIN-Preferred is First Tech FCU (Oregon.)   Also, Bank of America, Citibank, Wells Fargo, USAA, Andrews FCU, and Barclays cards are Signature-preferred but can be set to use a PIN. 

Those are good credit unions but a couple of others come to mind.  If you're not carrying a lot of student loan debt (or other heavy installment debt), the AOD FCU Visa Signature has no FTF and rewards 3% back uncapped and uncategorized.  It would be a great and versatile card for you, although I don't know if you can get it with PIN priority.  AOD can be particular about debt and student loan debt in particular. 

• Looking for reward cards/2% flat that have no FTF.  The biggest spending categories are probably going to be Groceries, Travel (once per year), and Dining in that order. 
  • One idea I have is applying with SDFCU to get their 2% card
  • Another idea is that if I fail to meet SDFCU, I could try Penfed.

Having a flat rate uncapped and uncategorized card is good to have in your wallet.  The SDFCU or PenFed versions should be both be good pics in that regard and both are capable of chip-and-pin.  I personally like the PenFed Power Cash Rewards.

One of the best cards for groceries and dining (plus flights for travel) is the American Express Gold card. (4x MRs on Groceries and Dining and 3x on Flights, which could be used for your annual travel.)   Unfortunately, AMEX is not as widely-accepted in Europe, but it could still be a contender.   And AMEX is also not chip-and-pin.  Comments from the community?  Also AMEX has the Blue Cash Preferred which excels in groceries.

• Other ones, but come with AF but nice perks : UNFCU Elite (possible to get as first card?) & US bank AR (no prior history).

My impression is that UNFCU, while being one of the US lenders who offer a PIN-priority card, can be a little more conservative in underwriting and harder to be approved.  For everyday purchases, their cards aren't going to give you the same rewards level of some of the other cards we are discussing.  In your case, I would think that if you could get an approval, this card would best be used as a backup to other alternatives.  I believe you'd also want to get deposit accounts opened and let them age awhile before applying for their cards.  Underwriting is done by manual review and may be slow.

US Bank doesn't issue Altitude Reserve to new customers.  You must have deposit accounts or another card with them to apply for AR.  For deposit accounts, you normally have to live in the footprint of their banking locations.  I live in Texas and was declined for a checking account.  One of our members used the back door method by opening investment accounts (which were not restricted) and then opening a checking account.   But having a different credit card with them such as the ever-popular Cash Plus will also work. 

• Are there any other options, or something that includes travel?

One card that comes to mind is the Navy Federal CU Flagship Rewards Visa, although if you don't have a history with NFCU it might be a tough approval.  Most members have needed to be able to get a $5K limit since it's issued as a Visa Signature although I think I read about a couple getting lower approvals.  Usually, Navy gives lower approvals on their first card with a new customer.  The FSR has a $49 AF but you could get reimbursed for TSA Global Entry which is worth effectively $25 a year, lowering the effective AF to $24.  Navy offers a PIN option.  The card would earn 2% everywhere and 3% on travel, and you could easily save your rewards to redeem for travel.  No FTF.  Widely-accepted Visa. 

• Should I go on an App Spree since I'll be overseas for 3 years?

You already have a couple of cards on your credit file which can age and it sounds like you're looking to add 2 or 3 more for focused use in Europe.  I wouldn't really call that a spree, especially if you space them out over a few months which is the way I would approach it with a thin file.  I think that based on your credit age, that should be good for right now, as long as you pick appropriate and useful cards.   Remember that building credit is best approached as a marathon, not a sprint.  App Sprees are often not a healthy way to build credit. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 20
mrpuffrabbit
Valued Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not sure about Paris, but my PhD student daughter in the UK is able to use mobile pay (samsung in her case) for almost everything except online, making the Altitude Reserve ideal.   And this avoids any issue with chip&sig cards.   Also, at least there, the contactless cap doesn't apply to mobile pay.    But of course France may be different, although several online sources suggest mobile pay is now widespread in Paris.

The last year when I was in Paris, I saw Apple/Samsung/Google pays pretty much everywhere like the supermarkets, restaurants, tech/department/cheapo stores (not really touristy areas).

It's really attractive since it is basically a great daily card. I'd be open to any DP that are similar to my situation, but again now I have a low income and no prior history with US bank so it's not possible as a next card!

After this pandemic and restaurants probably struggling in Paris, maybe it would be something merchants might drop?

Message 9 of 20
BlueSea
New Contributor

Here what works for me, my favorite cards are US Bank Altitude Reserve with 4.5% return everywhere you pay with your phone and that's pretty much everywhere there's a credit card terminal. Contactless payments are the way to go in Europe.  I've never used and needed chip and pin for years I don't even know why people mention this.

The other favorite is Citi Premier which has super categories for 3 points which I roughly value at 2 cents each, so basically get 6% return.

I also have Saphire Prefered for travel.

That works perfectly for me and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work for you. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.