Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Delta Amex Cards and Checked Bags

tag
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

Multiple Delta Amex Cards and Checked Bags

So, if I have a Delta Gold Amex and  Delta Reserve.  Each card gives you a free checked bag.  So does that mean that I get 2 free checked bags when I fly?  I have an annoying suspicion that the answer is no but I can't seem to find a definite answer online.

As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Re: Multiple Delta Amex Cards and Checked Bags

I’m just assuming to be honest but, I’m sure it depends on which card you purchase the ticket with and your status with the airline and class of ticket you purchased. Hopefully someone else chimes in.
NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 10,000 | Discover 17,000 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=757 | EX=760 | TU=771scores and CL current as of 08/22/22 AAoA years 6 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 2 of 5
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

You don't need to purchase with the card. You typically can't combine that benefit. 

Message 3 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The benefit is phrased as "first checked bag free", and the fine print says:

"Waiver is only for normal bag fee, if any, for the first checked bag that is not overweight and not oversize under Delta’s applicable rules as set forth in Delta’s contract of carriage. Additional checked bags will be subject to the applicable baggage fees as outlined by Delta’s rules and the purchased fare as set forth in Delta’s contract of carriage."

Maybe you have a companion who could carry some things? Up to 9 people (you and 8 others) get a free checked bag in your reservation.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 5
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

The benefit is phrased as "first checked bag free", and the fine print says:

"Waiver is only for normal bag fee, if any, for the first checked bag that is not overweight and not oversize under Delta’s applicable rules as set forth in Delta’s contract of carriage. Additional checked bags will be subject to the applicable baggage fees as outlined by Delta’s rules and the purchased fare as set forth in Delta’s contract of carriage."

Maybe you have a companion who could carry some things? Up to 9 people (you and 8 others) get a free checked bag in your reservation.

This makes sense.  Thank you!

As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.