Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Gas Credit cards

tag
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

Multiple Gas Credit cards

Great morning MY Fico Family😀.

Is having 2 or more gas cards a good Idea? I already got approved for the Citibank shell rewards mastercard. And im thinking of getting the Chevron Visa Gas card. I drive on average per month 1000-1200 miles. I just want to have a backup gas card. If you have more than one gas CC please chime in, thanks
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Multiple Gas Credit cards

Food for thought - are gas cards really getting the most bang for your buck from a rewards standpoint? A regular card, earning 3, 4, or 5% cash back on gas purchases might be a better route. Maybe even a 2% CB card might beat our a gas card rewards structure.

Maybe look into a regular card offering a decent CB instead?
Message 2 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Wont hurt as long as they are MC or Visa, but do you spend more on gas than anything else?

Amex gives you 6% on groceries.

Ducks gives you 5% on gas and sporting goods.

Savor gives you 4% on dining and entertainments.

Uber gives you 3% on travel and cell phone protection.

etc etc etc

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 11
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

I think it depends on a few variables. I have multiple cards on the same categories for utilization control. Sample:

I won't let any individual card I have get to 9% utilization when the statement cuts so when I get to 9%, I start using the other card I have for that category and alternate between the two. Now if your limit is high enough overall you may not have a need to flip flop, but if you do, it makes sure you don't get dinged for hitting 10% or more utilization on a card. 

It's a bit OCD but it works well for me. I dont participate in the AZEO method and not doing that hasn't hurt me any bit. That just may be a reason why having a couple cards in the same category can help, but it does muddy up the pot (two due dates, two payments, breaks rewards across two cards taking longer to redeem, but if you can manage it and you're not trying to cash out rewards every month then it works). I cash out rewards once a year in NOV and use it as the xmas stash. 

I agree with the above though - you might find a better return with a general bank card than specific gas card. I use my USAA Amex (5% Gas Stations) and flip to my PNC Cash Rewards VS (4% Gas Stations) when I hit the 9% mark. 

Message 4 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Food for thought - are gas cards really getting the most bang for your buck from a rewards standpoint? A regular card, earning 3, 4, or 5% cash back on gas purchases might be a better route. Maybe even a 2% CB card might beat our a gas card rewards structure.

Maybe look into a regular card offering a decent CB instead?

Or just go for something like Savor with a simple $500 cash bonus, then downgrade or close it when the grass is greener elsewhere.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Think One major brand gas card where you get gas from is fine but anymore than that not so much their are so many bank cards that offer better perks for that categorie

Message 6 of 11
digitek
Established Contributor

This one is close I think. The Chevron card will get you 13¢/gal so the percentage you save will change based on the actual price of a gallon. $2.60 a gallon is where it comes out to 5%/gal. If you pay more than that it is less than 5%, if you pay less than that it saves more than 5%.

Ducks Unlimited is straight 5% on practically anything involving a gas station, no cap. You have a pretty significant gas spend each month and it is considered the best card out there for that category. They are a little conservative and don't like new accounts or inquiries much. You can design your card for free 😁.

At $1k a month you'd be saving about $600 a year. (Edit whoops eead that wrong thought you said 1k spend not miles 😄)
Message 7 of 11
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

If you exceed the rewards per quarter on one card, it's good to have two. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit utilization...? Why is that even being mentioned? It isn't 1983, guys. You can easily open up your card's app and make a payment before your statement prints. I've gone and spent a card's limit 3 times full in a single month, but had the statement report $0 since I just paid it off each time it got high in the month.

1,000-1,200 miles a month isn't a whole lot. That's pretty average, considering car warranties assume 10-12k per year over a 5-12 year period.

Using a specific brand of gas card is a bad idea. You'll be forcing yourself to that particular business. If you're out and the Exxon is considerably higher...you aren't saving.

Get a card with 3%+ for all gas stations that fits you. It'll likely have other reward categories, too.
Message 9 of 11
The-Credit-Disciple
Frequent Contributor

I will just use my Discover it Chrome CC. That gets 2% cash back on Gas😀. Can't believe I totally let that slip. I just have so many Shell and Chevron gas stations around. So tempting to get the Chevron Visa card. Plus they use Synchrony bank. And Sync have been very nice to me so far😂
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.