Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My AMEX Zync Charge Card to be Closed as of 3/30/20

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All AMEX Zync Charge Cards Closed as of 3/30/20

This is in no way important or helpful but I had never heard of this card before, much less seen one (on the younger side so when this came out I was a long ways away from thinking about credit/income/money) but last night I had a dream about being handed a white Amex that as far as I knew didn’t exist. So what a surprise to come on here, see a reference to a white Amex and googling it to discover it was literally in my dreams last night.... totally not important but now I really want a white Amex.
Message 11 of 48
sjt
Senior Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

AMEX is shutting down their ZYNC charge card line as of 3/30/20. What do I do now? My Zync is one of my oldest cards.

I also have an AMEX BCE but really liked having a White Zync card! Is their anything else AMEX has that would be a good replacement for the Zync? I was thinking about the Green Charge card but don't really care for the $150 annual fee. Is it worth it?

Did you call to see if there is any chance of a product change.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 48
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

When I got into credit the first two cards I found interesting were the Gold card and Platinum. The Gold card had been revamped a month after I got my first rewards card (it was an Amex) so it was super nice to me. I have all three personal charge cards now and ran across the Zync card sometime halfway through last year. I think that Amex could totally pull off a customizable card like this in 2020. I could also see a Zync 2.0 style being like the Cobalt card and having a monthly fee instead of annual; maybe something like $5 a month?
Message 13 of 48
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Going to be some very upset people that it is getting shut down wow... i would of loved to have gotten that card when around.  Guessing they will recycle the card design as kinda of cultish following

LOL, this ^^^ was actually my first thought.  Smiley Happy

They could use the design for the rumored "super platinum"...the rumored card from a few months ago that would be between Platinum and Centurion in terms of perks/AF.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 48
Essence
Contributor

I love my Zync! I might try to PC into the AMEX Green. Funny enough, I just received an updated Zync last week that has support for contactless. What a shame! 

Message 15 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know anything about this card, but wouldn't there need to be a comparable product to PC it to? 

If it were me I'd probably just close the Zync and app the Green or whatever for the SUB. I doubt Amex is going to offer the same for a PC if anything at all. However, PCing it is the only way to keep account age. If that is important to OP.

I guess you'll have to treasure the time you have left with it. 

Message 16 of 48
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know anything about this card, but wouldn't there need to be a comparable product to PC it to? 

If it were me I'd probably just close the Zync and app the Green or whatever for the SUB. I doubt Amex is going to offer the same for a PC if anything at all. However, PCing it is the only way to keep account age. If that is important to OP.

I guess you'll have to treasure the time you have left with it. 

senior green but no longer around either

Message 17 of 48
wasCB14
Super Contributor

BBP:

No AF

0% intro for 15 months (at least, that's what I got)

2x MRs on all spend up to $50k per calendar year

Real MRs...you can transfer to airlines without needing another card.

Zync:

$25 base AF

PIF generally required, or a balance carried by invitation at interest

1x MREs by default.

A few 2x categories with a $5k spend cap available in "packs" for additional fees ($5-$25 each)

MREs...If you wanted real MRs, you had to have another card.

Message 18 of 48
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I called to see if they would PC me to another card but no dice. AMEX cards don't suite me very well for the most part because I don't travel much nor do I eat out at restaurants much. Yeah, sucks to be older with a couple of teenagers at home that only want to eat hamburgers and junk food!

Because I was on the phone with customer service, discussing the demise of my Zync card, I apped right there and then for the AMEX Cash Magnet. The 1.5% back on everything isn't too bad but the one thing I like is the warranty extension provided when you purchase something with their cards.

I was approved with a starting credit line of $18,100 so not too bad! (But what's with that $100? I wonder if that extra $100 is AMEX code for something? Ya know, they could search their data base by customers with the extra $100 to I don't know? Anybody else get an extra $100 on their CL?)

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 19 of 48
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

Yeah, I called to see if they would PC me to another card but no dice. AMEX cards don't suite me very well for the most part because I don't travel much nor do I eat out at restaurants much. Yeah, sucks to be older with a couple of teenagers at home that only want to eat hamburgers and junk food!

Because I was on the phone with customer service, discussing the demise of my Zync card, I apped right there and then for the AMEX Cash Magnet. The 1.5% back on everything isn't too bad but the one thing I like is the warranty extension provided when you purchase something with their cards.

I was approved with a starting credit line of $18,100 so not too bad! (But what's with that $100? I wonder if that extra $100 is AMEX code for something? Ya know, they could search their data base by customers with the extra $100 to I don't know? Anybody else get an extra $100 on their CL?)

As of 1/1/20, Amex no longer offers an Extended Warranty on Cash Magnet. The benefit was cut from many (not sure about all) no-AF products.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/extended-warranty-terms.h...

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.