Did you mean: 

My AMEX Zync Charge Card to be Closed as of 3/30/20

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: All AMEX Zync Charge Cards Closed as of 3/30/20

@wasCB14 wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

Yeah, I called to see if they would PC me to another card but no dice. AMEX cards don't suite me very well for the most part because I don't travel much nor do I eat out at restaurants much. Yeah, sucks to be older with a couple of teenagers at home that only want to eat hamburgers and junk food!

Because I was on the phone with customer service, discussing the demise of my Zync card, I apped right there and then for the AMEX Cash Magnet. The 1.5% back on everything isn't too bad but the one thing I like is the warranty extension provided when you purchase something with their cards.

I was approved with a starting credit line of $18,100 so not too bad! (But what's with that $100? I wonder if that extra $100 is AMEX code for something? Ya know, they could search their data base by customers with the extra $100 to I don't know? Anybody else get an extra $100 on their CL?)

As of 1/1/20, Amex no longer offers an Extended Warranty on Cash Magnet. The benefit was cut from many (not sure about all) no-AF products.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/extended-warranty-terms.h...

Thanks for the heads up!

Oh well, I'll use another card to buy big ticket items where the warranty extension is useful.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 21 of 48
wasCB14
Super Contributor

BCE, ED, and CM lost it, along with a few uncommon old personal cards (Blue, Blue Sky, "Old" Blue Cash).

The AF equivalents, EDP and BCP kept it, along with seemingly all AF cards.

It looks like business cards and hotel/airline cobrands kept it, even if they were no-AF ones. Maybe I missed some exception.

*Schwab Investor kept it, which is a little surprising as it's so similar to CM.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 48
drboxing
Established Contributor

Since Amex is ending the Zync charge card will they automatically replace it with a Green, Gold or Platinum card?

Message 23 of 48
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@drboxing wrote:
Since Amex is ending the Zync charge card will they automatically replace it with a Green, Gold or Platinum card?

No you would have to product change it and as someone upthread said they aren't allowing that so it's a fully dead card sadly.

Message 24 of 48
drboxing
Established Contributor

Wow, sorry it happened

Message 25 of 48
Sharingan
Established Contributor

My Zync card has had PC options for as long as I can remember on my account home page. I currently have a 60k MR offer to upgrade to Platinum, and a 40k MR offer for Gold. I believe 70k MR points for the Platinum has been the highest offer I’ve received. My Zync has always been the unrestricted NPSL version rather than the hard limit version, which may have something to do with having PC options.

Regardless, I’ve yet to receive any notice of an impending closure, and I will likely just let it go if and when that day comes. I’ve certainly enjoyed having mine for almost 10 years. 

Message 26 of 48
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Where was it seen that it was getting killed?

I had a bad upgrade offer tied to my Zync card the other day when I logged into the Amex account.

Historically speaking though, back in 2012 with my not even 640 FICO, Amex gave me a Zync with 2x on Restaurants and I forget what other pack I had and I swiped that thing all over the place because it was the best I could get at the time.

After the pack went away, I kept the card as one of my first tradelines and it's still my favorite looking card hands down and it's still pretty unique in the industry in terms of it's looks not to mention white Amex just sayin'.  If it is being killed in March going to go swipe it for nostalgia's sake a few times just to see the reactions again.

        
Message 27 of 48
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Well actually the offer to convert is Gold and 40K MR which I suppose isn't all that bad if it keeps the old history.  Another AF that really doesn't have much use right now but Gold is currently one of the cards I'd need anyway if I do really start looking to make the switch away from Chase CSR.

@jamie123 was this just from a customer service rep you were talking to?  I'd assume we'd see some sort of official notice somewhere every other time a lender has been killing a card of mine they've told me some time in advance.

        
Message 28 of 48
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Well actually the offer to convert is Gold and 40K MR which I suppose isn't all that bad if it keeps the old history.  Another AF that really doesn't have much use right now but Gold is currently one of the cards I'd need anyway if I do really start looking to make the switch away from Chase CSR.

@jamie123 was this just from a customer service rep you were talking to?  I'd assume we'd see some sort of official notice somewhere every other time a lender has been killing a card of mine they've told me some time in advance.

I've been thinking about this for a while now. Why hasn't anybody else received a letter? I threw my letter away already so am going from memory. It said, and I remember this vividly. "Your American Expess Zync card will be discontinued on 3/30/2020." I just thought that meant everyone's Zync card would be discontinued!

My Zync was of the $500 hard limit variety so maybe that is why it is being discontinued? I have used the Zync card every month since receiving it. I charge almost exactly $174 per month on it and pay it off before it reports 90% of the time. I use it almost exclusively for all my recurring monthly subscriptions like MyFICO, Spotify, Netflix, Hulu+live, etc. I really liked having this card set up this way so if I needed to quit a subscription, I knew exactly where to look.

I'm sorry, perhaps I assumed since my card was being cancelled so was everybody else's. I just dind't think at the time that because it was the $500 hard limit, that might have been the reason.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 29 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't received any correspondence on such 'imminent' closure either. Mine is the standard NPSL. We'd certainly see others chiming in with similar notices, if anything.

Moreover, it makes sense that your type of account would not be eligible for any PC or upgrade as those accounts that were approved with a 'Hard' internal CL didn't have that option in the past either.

As an abundance of caution, and to avoid mass confusion in the interim, I edited the thread title to be more specific to the notice you received. If additional card members receive similar notices, it can be modified accordingly.
Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.