cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Black List Experience --Chase, Discover, AMEX, Citibank, BofA

tag
FixItYesterday

My Black List Experience --Chase, Discover, AMEX, Citibank, BofA

About 9 years ago I was injured and went on disability and with loss of job + medical bills, I had lots of financial struggles.  I didn't  do BK,  just let accounts charge off, and then cleaned my credit as I could.  I'm healthy now, have a good job and have a completely clean credit report.  Credit scores around 715-740 at time of applications.  Have accounts with good limits with PenFed, USAA, NFCU, etc. (high limit of 20k)

I'm not going to need to apply for credit for a while, so I decided to try for some good reward cards from places I had previous charge-offs from.

Chase   ---  had 4 chase cards charaged off with a total of about 30k.   Applied for the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Card, was denied --letter said derogatory relationship with bank.  I called in to reconsideration line and explained my past issue.  Approved for $3000.

DIscover -- had 2 cards charged off with total of 28k.  Applied online and was approved for $3000.

Bank of America -- had 2 cards charged off 33k. Also had a charge-off with MBNA for 50k (BofA bought MBNA).    Applied for dividend select card.  Denied.  Called for reconsideration and after explanation was approved for $750.  Funny thing all they asked about was the past MBNA account, BofA accounts didn't show up.

AMEX  -- Charge-off for 7k  -- Applied and denied, called for reconsideration and was denied.  I didn't get to tell them any history, I was told executive team would review and let me know.     Didn't pull credit.

Citibank -- Charge-off for 3k  --  Applied and denied, I'm going to call and ask for reconsideration-- will update with results.

Capital One  -- charge-off of 20k.   Applied and was denied.  Didn't pull credit.  Just cited adverse relationship.   I'm not going to call on this one as I don't want another credit pull, and with recent app spree, my scores are at about 695.  

Anyway, thought this would be interesting to some of you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Black List Experience --Chase, Discover, AMEX, Citibank, BofA

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, but $121,000 charged off from CCs? No wonder we are in the financial situation that we are in now.

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Some are more forgiving than others. Was the bad debt paid? That can often help in future apps.

Message 3 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience.

It seems to me that AMex is the only company that is consistent with their blacklisting. I know some people slip throught eh cracks, but they are the exception.

I read so many difference experiences with Chase and Citibank.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 8
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for sharing. I wish that I can get back into Citi & Chase. I'm black listed from Citi when I lost my job back in 2005 within my 1st year in collage. I couldnt pay Citi because of school and my father has passed. Chase was a business expense card for a company I work for as a intern from 2006. I quit the job and I submitted receipts before I quit and they never paid them.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 5 of 8
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I thought CapOne didn't have a BL. 

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 8
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@jordanmedical wrote:

I thought CapOne didn't have a BL. 

They might for a $20k CO lol Btw if you want to get back in Cap1, a good way is to app for the Best Buy RewardZone MasterCard. It is currently serviced by Capital One Card Services, and so the systems have integrated yet.

Message 7 of 8
lecorps4fun
Valued Member

Wow!  That is some serious debt!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.