cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Blessings! Approved for Discover More - I think!

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

My Blessings! Approved for Discover More - I think!

I am nearly shaking typing this. Bankruptcy - 15 years in all types of hell - not just financial - battles with Midland Collections - etc  - Most people are familiar with these types of stories, so I will not go on.  Started rebuilding in 2008 - when HSBC gave me a Discove with a  $2100 CL -SHOCKED me to no end! - and like a kid in a candy store - I apped for everything.  Who knows how many GE cards I have gotten since then -and of course the Capital One cards... etc.  Today I started closing accounts - 2/3 HSBC cards that are at 0 balance that have not grown since I got them - a SECOND Walmart card that was sent when I applied for a Walmart Disc. card months ago. Last month my Credit union gave me a $5000.00 loan so that I could transfer balances from one of the HSBC cards and my two Capital One Cards.  So of major cards - I have 2 Captial One Cards @ 0 balance - the HSBC Disc. card with a $250 balance on a $1900 CL (the decreased me a couple of years ago).  

Although I included Discover in my 2003 bankruptcy, I decided to apply for a Discover More Card a few minutes ago.  I said to myself, "If I get a REAL Discover, I am closing the HSBC Discover!"  Dealing with HSBC is a real pain, and yes, I do know the caveats about closing cards.  I included an old Visa Gold balance of just over $2000 to increase my chances.  I fingured if they thought they could make some money off me, then...... I got a page saying that I could not be approved for the terms I have applied for, but they would offer me a card with different terms.  I have no idea what the first terms were - I just clicked accept/submit  Congratulations! You've been approved, pending further verification.  I know it is not a glowing confirmation, but it is better than the "Sorry........ " messages I have gotten over the last three years.   It is a beginning.  Even if the CL is only $500, I will be happy to cut up the HSBC Discover - and let it sit for a while... and just be happy that I am now able to get a better class of cards. 

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My Blessings! Approved for Discover More - I think!

@Changingmantra wrote:

@I am nearly shaking typing this. Bankruptcy - 15 years in all types of hell - not just financial - battles with Midland Collections - etc  - Most people are familiar with these types of stories, so I will not go on.  Started rebuilding in 2008 - when HSBC gave me a Discove with a  $2100 CL -SHOCKED me to no end! - and like a kid in a candy store - I apped for everything.  Who knows how many GE cards I have gotten since then -and of course the Capital One cards... etc.  Today I started closing accounts - 2/3 HSBC cards that are at 0 balance that have not grown since I got them - a SECOND Walmart card that was sent when I applied for a Walmart Disc. card months ago. Last month my Credit union gave me a $5000.00 loan so that I could transfer balances from one of the HSBC cards and my two Capital One Cards.  So of major cards - I have 2 Captial One Cards @ 0 balance - the HSBC Disc. card with a $250 balance on a $1900 CL (the decreased me a couple of years ago).  

Although I included Discover in my 2003 bankruptcy, I decided to apply for a Discover More Card a few minutes ago.  I said to myself, "If I get a REAL Discover, I am closing the HSBC Discover!"  Dealing with HSBC is a real pain, and yes, I do know the caveats about closing cards.  I included an old Visa Gold balance of just over $2000 to increase my chances.  I fingured if they thought they could make some money off me, then...... I got a page saying that I could not be approved for the terms I have applied for, but they would offer me a card with different terms.  I have no idea what the first terms were - I just clicked accept/submit  Congratulations! You've been approved, pending further verification.  I know it is not a glowing confirmation, but it is better than the "Sorry........ " messages I have gotten over the last three years.   It is a beginning.  Even if the CL is only $500, I will be happy to cut up the HSBC Discover - and let it sit for a while... and just be happy that I am now able to get a better class of cards. 

DH applied yesterday and got the same message. The difference in the terms are that, instead of 0% financing for six months, the intro rate is 3.9% for six months, and 23.9 APR after that. Yes, the APR stinks, but since we've gotten to be strict about PIF, it doesn't matter to us. I'm just thrilled that he got a foot in the door with Discover with decent rewards, no AF and a starting limit of $1000.

Also, he had to call to verify indentity. He called right away, the CSR asked him a few questions, and finalized the approval. I'm pretty certain that if you call, you'll get the same result. Congrats in advance! Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 3
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Re: My Blessings! Approved for Discover More - I think!

Hello -

I had already called - was a bit anxious.  I do not know what the interest is on purchases - since it does not matter at the moment.  They gave me a $1500 CL, and transferred $1400 of the requested $2100.  They also charged me a $43.00 fee for that, and I was told that I have 0% intereste on the balance transfer for 15 months.  This is great because I will not use the card until I pay off the balance, which I will within the 15 months time frame.  And as for the Visa account that will have a remaining balance of $700 - I am paying that off by mid Dec.  That account is closed - thanks to my credit union's mistake of several months back- They closed the account when I reported the card lost  - Then told me I had to reapply if I wanted another account with them.  I decided not to.  So - by Jan.  that will be another useless card closed, leaving me with 2 Cap 1 (MC $3500 and Visa$1800) - HSBC Disc. $1900 - and this real Discover More -  One of the previously mentioned 3 gets closed when I pay off my Discover More!  I very much would like to get rid of the HSBC Disc. although it is my oldest.  HSBC has given me some opportunities - in fact - rebuilding started with them - but my goodness has it been frustrating dealing with them!  Perhaps I will will just cut it up - and leave it alone.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.