Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My BoA Secured Credit Card limit went up somehow

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BoA Secured Credit Card limit went up somehow

I have had a $500 secured credit card from Bank of America for 10 months and I just checked my credit report and now it is reporting as a card with a $1,000 limit so I checked my BofA account on their website and I find out that it indeed does have a $1,000 limit now. Why did they up my limit from $500 to $1,000 when all I deposited was $500? Does this mean I get my $500 back and that its unsecured now? 

A side note, I was recently approved 2 weeks ago for a $5,000 unsecured bank of america credit card. Could this be the reason they up my secured credit card limit? Is this even heard of?

****UPDATE***

I just got off the phone with BoA and it turns out they graduated my secured credit card after 10 months and it is now unsecured and I will recieve my $500 within 5 business days and they uped my credit limit to $1,000.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Prettylady1
Regular Contributor

Re: My BoA Secured Credit Card limit went up somehow

It means your credit is improving! Not sure about the $500. Congrats...this is a good thing Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU 640, EQ 636, EX 645
Current Score: TU 665, EQ 706, EX ?
Goal Score: All above 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Congrats!
That is great news for you, hopefully I get the same surprise soon. I opened mine in March I believe. Please let us know how this pans out.
Message 3 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Are those the only two cards you have? I just got a Discover, which means my situation seems to be improving as well as I'd never had a preapproval from Discover before.
Message 4 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes BofA usually tries to unsecure at 10 months and they are known for $500 CLI upon that happening. I would give it 3 or so months and then call and see if they will up it closer to the new 5k you just got.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

Yes BofA usually tries to unsecure at 10 months and they are known for $500 CLI upon that happening. I would give it 3 or so months and then call and see if they will up it closer to the new 5k you just got.

I just got off the phone with BoA and it turns out they graduated my secured credit card after 10 months and it is now unsecured and I will recieve my $500 within 5 business days and they uped my credit limit to $1,000.

Message 6 of 17
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

Nice !!  Hope my Wells Fargo secured does something similar since theyve had 2k hostage for about 8mos now...you give me hope Smiley Happy

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 7 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Do they do a $500 CLI at graduation if you've added to original deposit and upped your own CL already?
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats. im hoping to be in a similar boat as you in a few months. i should receive my $600 secured card in the mail in a few days. i hope they unsecure me early as well, since i plan on using it consistently and PIF every month.

my only problem is that ill soon want to increase my limit and i heard it takes a hard pull/inquiry which is annoying, but i guess necessary since i would like a higher limit when i graduate to the unsecured.

Message 9 of 17
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Congrats. They did the same to me when I applied for their $99/500 card and they gave CLI to $1000 after they graduated the card. Now I have that card with $6k CL. After that I applied for FIA Amex Card and they approved it for $12k CL. I have them both now and very happy with them.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.