cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Cashback Strategy can't be beat can it?

tag
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Re: My Cashback Strategy can't be beat can it?

Couple suggestions would be too use CIC for t-mobile, as 5 UR’s is probably worth more than 5% CB, and then consider maximizing UR and MR’s.

Unlike many others, I think having a healthy mix of cash back and points is fine (even though I only aim for points), but it would still be a waste not to try to maximize the points that you do earn.

[2/2019]
Message 41 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbkiang wrote:
Couple suggestions would be too use CIC for t-mobile, as 5 UR’s is probably worth more than 5% CB, and then consider maximizing UR and MR’s.

Unlike many others, I think having a healthy mix of cash back and points is fine (even though I only aim for points), but it would still be a waste not to try to maximize the points that you do earn.

+1!

My strategy consist of like 80% cash back to 20% points. For the points, I definitely only use those cards for travel only purchases. All other purchases, I prioritize cashback. I only carry 3 cards with me for simplicity: Fidelity, Cap 1 Savor and Citi TY Premiere. I do however try to maximize 5%+ opportunities though. Anything else makes it more complicated that I even care to want to manage.

Message 42 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

My goal is to average 5% cashback across all spending. I average about 7-8k of CC spending per month so that is almost $5k per year in rewards. I am starting to travel more so I am looking for a good Hotel & Airfare card where points don’t expire. Any suggestions? Preferably something with no annual fee or one that easily I can make up with a hotel night for example.
Message 43 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I try and go after MR or UR as well or is that a waste since mostly I am earning cashback.
Message 44 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have suggestions on US bank PLOC? or Citi Thank you Premier (loving the SUB)
Message 45 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends how you plan on using TY points. If you utilize its partners, then that card could be really valuable to you. If not, you’re looking at a fixed rate of 1.25c a point when booking through portal.

Me personally I got the Citi TY premier card with no intentions to use its partners. It just depends on if you really want to maximize the value of them. I myself am content with getting 1.25c a point as I will likely use it only as a backup option. I also love the bonus categories on the card as I feel the categories are very good. I mean gas is even considered travel on the card. I don’t know many travel cards that do that.
Message 46 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mr Suave that is good to know. How do you use the 1.25 point redemption?
Message 47 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks Mr Suave that is good to know. How do you use the 1.25 point redemption?

When you book travel on the citi portal, all points are worth a flat 1.25c. In other words, you use the points by booking through the portal. Obviously, if you utilize their transfer partners you can get much more value out of them. I personally value simplicity so that would just be too complicated for me to even want to deal with. 

Message 48 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I have a question about your BBR I currently have 2 B of A accounts and I don’t use either really. One is the Cash Rewards $40k limit and the other is the Americard $20k limit. My other cards get better rewards than both of these so I was thinking about combining and PC to the BBR you have. Do you get good rewards or 0% offers with that BBR card? Do you recommend I switch1 or both to the BBR as I cannot apply new for it?
Message 49 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. I don't have the attention span to juggle that many cards. I think maybe I can handle adding 3 more cards. As Dirty Harry said, "a man's got to know his limitations."
Great job figuring all this out, OP.
Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.