Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Chase Freedom Card was Closed too .... :(

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My Chase Freedom Card was Closed too .... :(

Seems like they are taking a page from Barclay's..  Anyone else kinda see a similiarity?  I have had no problem with either lender YET and hope not to!

Message 11 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

That is a strange situation. Sorry to hear they closed the account. I've had many Chase cards over the years, had higher CL and the CL were decreased, some cards closed by Chase as they reduced their credit exposure to me, but still some cards open, and not a complete shut down.

I did open a Chase checking account in early 2011, running $1,650 of direct deposits and payments in and out each month now. I'm not sure if that helps, it seems Chase is what it is.

There were no strange charges? odd they would shut it down so quickly. Hopefully they open it again after the review.

You might go into a local Chase branch to talk with a banker there. They may not be able to help, but with odd questions like this, I find it is always helpful to at least meet with a person in the organization who may be able to help, may have numbers to call.

Good luck!

No strange charges.  Took the dog to the vet, Grocery Store twice I think and paid a utility bill on it.  I went to make a payment and bam shut down.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 61
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Seems like they are taking a page from Barclay's..  Anyone else kinda see a similiarity?  I have had no problem with either lender YET and hope not to!

I just closed a 16 month Barclay Apple and moved the CL over when I was approved for a Sallie Mae... only card I need from Barclay right now.  No real interest in Chase... or Citi for that matter.  Didn't include either in my recent app spree.

I've heard all about how Citi isn't the greatest lender and I'm thinking Chase is joining the club... LOL

Then again though, part of me thinks a lot of these AA's are just for people having too many cards.  I myself am not greedy... I get a prime lender card and I'm happy.  I definitely don't need 4 cards from the same lender.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 13 of 61
NRB525
Super Contributor

It sounds like they've just made a credit decision, which, in the fine print, they are certainly able to do.

We may each not like it, but thems' the rules. At least you got to talk with some folks, but they can't really change the Borg decision.

So in the meantime, just use your other cards and show payment history, and see what happens in a month or two.

If you are serious about the Ink, maybe skip the Freedom pathway, get hold of a live banker in a Chase branch, and see about them helping you with the app. This would need to be in a few months, but use your "6-months" timeline anyway, only skip the Freedom, start talking with a branch employee.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Sorry to hear.. Please report back when the letter comes in the mail for the reasoning behind the closure.  They are giving out crazy credit these last few months, but they are certainly having no issues taking it away either for what appear to be weird reasons.  Thanks for the post

Ultimately Chase felt like I had been granted a good bit of credit in the last year and a half and being "conservative" they were concerned with the number of inquiries for credit.  My immediate response was that nothing has changed on my credit report since applying for this Chase Freedom Card and my utilization is at about 6%.  That didn't seem to make any difference but I will call back just in case.

Message 15 of 61
NRB525
Super Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I just closed a 16 month Barclay Apple and moved the CL over when I was approved for a Sallie Mae... only card I need from Barclay right now.  No real interest in Chase... or Citi for that matter.  Didn't include either in my recent app spree.

I've heard all about how Citi isn't the greatest lender and I'm thinking Chase is joining the club... LOL

Then again though, part of me thinks a lot of these AA's are just for people having too many cards.  I myself am not greedy... I get a prime lender card and I'm happy.  I definitely don't need 4 cards from the same lender.

That is most likely the trigger for a lot of these. Many posters on MyFICO are running app sprees, growing credit cards like kudzu, and that freaks out many bankers who do SP inquiries and all of a sudden, in 1 year, this person has 8 credit cards, or whatever. Can't say I blame the banks, they have to watch for credit risk and "many new cards" is a red flag.

Individually, each person is shocked by the shut down, but this is no longer a "personal banker" business, it's all about the trending metrics, about how a profile looks to the algorithm Borg, that's what matters anymore.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

That is most likely the trigger for a lot of these. Many posters on MyFICO are running app sprees, growing credit cards like kudzu, and that freaks out many bankers who do SP inquiries and all of a sudden, in 1 year, this person has 8 credit cards, or whatever. Can't say I blame the banks, they have to watch for credit risk and "many new cards" is a red flag.

Individually, each person is shocked by the shut down, but this is no longer a "personal banker" business, it's all about the trending metrics, about how a profile looks to the algorithm Borg, that's what matters anymore.

I agree, if this is the case ... As stated in previous posts there are going to be alot of people on MyFico community that are going to be very unhappy if Chase starts looking at the cards gotten within the last year prior to recent approvals with them or after them...  I am one of them..  I have gotten Just a Barclay's prior and an Amex after, but could be enough to set them off..  I only have 16k Avail. credit and Utilization is around 1-5% at any given time on CC's  havent plenty of income to support alot more in limits, but unforutnaetly I am still rebuilding...  Still makes you scared none the less of what they deem someone seeking to much "new" credit.

Message 17 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I get what you are saying but literally why approve me at all?  Or why send me preapprovals week after week?  Those same inquiries have been on my report since March and July.  They were there when they approved me, why all of sudden is it a problem?  Nothing has changed and it isn't like I took the card and charged up $4500.  I could see that freaking them out.  They can see how I use my cards and what kind of payments I make, it seems like they should be able to make better judgements then they are right now.  If they don't open it back up, then it just wasn't meant to be but I can't understand when I have no other new accounts.  It isn't like this Chase Freedom card was part of an app spree.  What they see today is the same thing they saw when they approved me.

Message 18 of 61
kdm31091
Super Contributor

This is so strange to hear, if they just closed your account for no reason. I can understand closing it if you were doing MS, or you were deliberately cheating in some way to get more rewards than you should, etc. But to just randomly close your account that was presumably in good standing...that sucks.

Unfortunately, however, they're completely allowed to do it. Just as you can close an account whenever you like, almost all terms and conditions state that they can close your account whenever they like. Whether they have a reason or not. They don't owe you anything. It sucks but it's the truth. This is why everyone should make sure to have at least a couple cards that are not from the same lender - don't put all the eggs in one basket Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 61
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

This is so strange to hear, if they just closed your account for no reason. I can understand closing it if you were doing MS, or you were deliberately cheating in some way to get more rewards than you should, etc. But to just randomly close your account that was presumably in good standing...that sucks.

Unfortunately, however, they're completely allowed to do it. Just as you can close an account whenever you like, almost all terms and conditions state that they can close your account whenever they like. Whether they have a reason or not. They don't owe you anything. It sucks but it's the truth. This is why everyone should make sure to have at least a couple cards that are not from the same lender - don't put all the eggs in one basket Smiley Happy

Or to many basket in this case, lol... You just can't win sometimes can you?

Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.