Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Card Goal

tag
drboxing
Established Contributor

My Credit Card Goal

I have Citi-AA card, Discover-IT, Amex Delta Gold, the only card I want is Amex charge Green or Gold, once I obtain that, I'll call it quits

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Card Goal

Drboxing.. why would you want a charge card? There are pointless. You have to pay them off every month and the rewards are hardly worth the application. If you want another Amex go with the blue cash rewards. But my advice would be to go with the chase freedom. I prefer this over my discover card.
Message 2 of 21
drboxing
Established Contributor

Applied for Chase Freedom, was declined.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Drboxing.. why would you want a charge card? There are pointless. You have to pay them off every month and the rewards are hardly worth the application. If you want another Amex go with the blue cash rewards. But my advice would be to go with the chase freedom. I prefer this over my discover card.

That's not really sound advice.  Amex charge cards and the MR points they earn can be well worth the 'application '. Just because they are not cards that you want or need please don't assume that applies to everyone.  Cash back cards are great and a lot of people should have those over points earning cards.  Nonetheless for people that can make use of the charge cards and they're MR points they can provide value far in excess of any cash back card with maybe the exception of the Discover It card for the first year.

Blanket statements like this almost are never true for everyone and generally should be avoided when people ask for advice.  In this particular case, it led to the OP applying and being denied for a card that may not fit their needs while he may have very well been approved for one of the Amex charge cards.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not get the AMEX charge card (any of them) if I am already paying for the Delta Gold.

I would just work the Delta Gold as hard as you can, if you fly Delta enough to justify it.

The AMEX Green is useless, and the AMEX Gold is a good card, but it sort of competes with the Delta Card.

If you really need another card why not Citi Double Cash at flat 2%?

I would get that myself, but I already have two 1.5 % cards, and don't need another. I can live with not earning the additional half percent.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not get the AMEX charge card (any of them) if I am already paying for the Delta Gold.

I would just work the Delta Gold as hard as you can, if you fly Delta enough to justify it.

The AMEX Green is useless, and the AMEX Gold is a good card, but it sort of competes with the Delta Card.

If you really need another card why not Citi Double Cash at flat 2%?

I would get that myself, but I already have two 1.5 % cards, and don't need another. I can live with not earning the additional half percent.

While I agree that the Green card has little value other than any sign up bonus, the PRG can be a very valuable card under the right conditions and does not compete with the Delta card very much, if at all.  The PRG  has different bonus categories and completely different benefits than the Delta card.  As for your suggestion about a 2% cash back card, that's fine but assuming the OP wants to earn MR points which can easily have more value than 2% if used correctly, then it may not be a card they need.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just meant that if you are a heavy Delta user, I would hit that card hard to maximize the Delta points.

Id you are just an occasional, once-a-year kind of traveler, then I would get rid of Delta to avoid the annual fee, and just apply for the AMEX PRG for $195 and put everything you can on that for the MR points. I just meant that MR points can also be used for Delta flights, so in that one instance they compete.

If you are a hard-core Delta loyalist, then the Delta Gold makes "sense" (pun intended).

It's great to hear so many opinions !!

I really like this forum !!Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 21
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

OP's current portfolio could be improved by adding cards with 3% year-round spending categories.  PRG would be good for that.  BCE, BCP, ED, or EDP would also help.  Amex Green would not help.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@drboxing wrote:
I have Citi-AA card, Discover-IT, Amex Delta Gold, the only card I want is Amex charge Green or Gold, once I obtain that, I'll call it quits

Amex Gold is closed to new apps. I have no idea if it will return.

Green is usually a poor value. Do you just want it as a fashion statement? Are your other limits inadequate for your spending level?

As far as getting a good value, go with PRG or Platinum (if you can get value from the rewards/perks/credits) or just skip a charge card altogether. You pay more, but you get a lot more.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 21
drboxing
Established Contributor

The Green or Gold charge will be used for traveling don't want a ton of cards

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.