cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FICO Score Is Now 618, Which Starter Credit Cards(Unsecured) Should I Apply For?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My FICO Score Is Now 618, Which Starter Credit Cards(Unsecured) Should I Apply For?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry, when I stated "Bottom Teir."

I meant that particular issuer's easiest unsecured card to obtain.

No worries man, you’re all good. I’m a little protective of discover because I love my discover card and I like to pretend it’s a super prime card lol. I’m sure that’s where other members are coming from too. You know what you might want to try though, is a card from Elan Financial Services. Many CUs contract their CCs through them, and they take your relationship with your bank into account too. I got one with ZERO credit history, and they’re actually a really great lender. All US customer service, great rewards, extended warranties, etc, and they are one of the few lenders that STILL HAVE the best value guarantee. I love my Elan card. Just something to consider.

Really? I have avoided all of my local CUs because they have Elan cards and Elan is owned by US Bank. Might be something I’ll look into if DCU doesn’t work out (if I get their credit card, I may actually switch all my banking to them). 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My FICO Score Is Now 618, Which Starter Credit Cards(Unsecured) Should I Apply For?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No worries man, you’re all good. I’m a little protective of discover because I love my discover card and I like to pretend it’s a super prime card lol. I’m sure that’s where other members are coming from too. You know what you might want to try though, is a card from Elan Financial Services. Many CUs contract their CCs through them, and they take your relationship with your bank into account too. I got one with ZERO credit history, and they’re actually a really great lender. All US customer service, great rewards, extended warranties, etc, and they are one of the few lenders that STILL HAVE the best value guarantee. I love my Elan card. Just something to consider.

Really? I have avoided all of my local CUs because they have Elan cards and Elan is owned by US Bank. Might be something I’ll look into if DCU doesn’t work out (if I get their credit card, I may actually switch all my banking to them). 

Absolutely, I’ve had an amazing experience with Elan. You really should consider them. They extended me a $1,000 credit line with zero history, 18% APR (6 months 0%), $25 SUB, and it was their American Express Cash Rewards card nonetheless (3% gas, 2% supermarket, 1% all else)! Auto CLI at 9th statement cut to $1,500. Nothing crazy, currently my lowest CL, but they’re still showing me luv and I’m grateful. AmEx offers, return protection, price protection, warranty extension, and all the other benefits many companies are doing away with. Calling them has proven to be very easy, they are ALWAYS very helpful and more than willing to go the extra mile. I really do highly recommend them. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know about them! Smiley Happy 

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Absolutely, I’ve had an amazing experience with Elan. You really should consider them. They extended me a $1,000 credit line with zero history, 18% APR (6 months 0%), $25 SUB, and it was their American Express Cash Rewards card nonetheless (3% gas, 2% supermarket, 1% all else)! Auto CLI at 9th statement cut to $1,500. Nothing crazy, currently my lowest CL, but they’re still showing me luv and I’m grateful. AmEx offers, return protection, price protection, warranty extension, and all the other benefits many companies are doing away with. Calling them has proven to be very easy, they are ALWAYS very helpful and more than willing to go the extra mile. I really do highly recommend them. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know about them! Smiley Happy 

We have multiple CUs here with the whole Elan lineup so I might try for one. 

I just got approved for a Platinum with DCU though, waiting for final terms to be sent, and then it’s back to the garden for awhile 😂 

Message 13 of 15
dre90
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My FICO Score Is Now 618, Which Starter Credit Cards(Unsecured) Should I Apply For?

By Starter Credit Cards, I mean unsecured.

I'm hoping to speak with members who were able to obtain the Discover It(Unsecured), Capital One Platinum(Unsecured), Capital One Quick Silver One, Citi Double Cash, or any other bottom teir unsecured credit cards with a FICO score of 618 or lower.

I know a 618 FICO score isn't good, but just seven months ago I had a 440 FICO score.

I want unsecured credit cards, especially since my Capital One Platinum secured gave me a $300 CLI.

Please list any unsecured credit cards that would accept a 618 FICO score.

Or am I pushing my luck?

Hi there! I will share some insight and DP with my recent success with Discover. First, with a 618 credit score, I would do some gardening first before applying for those credit cards you mentioned, Citi, Discover, even some of the Capital One Unsecured cards are not really considered bottom tiered cards. I have yet to garden as I just came out of debt settlement a little over 8 months ago. I however, as soon as I was finished I applied for and got Capital One's Secured card with a $49 deposit which gave me a $300 credit line with them, they upped my limit to $500 after about 6 months.

My scores rose from the mid 500s to around the mid 600s, I am now in the mid 600s with an Exp score of 648 right now. During the past holiday season I went on an app spree and got a ton of cards via SP from comenity and synch. Paid them all off. Discover would also deny my on their pre-approvals but my statements just hit a few days ago and I checked Discover again after only a week ago of checking their pre approval, and low and behold, I was preapproved for their It Cash Back card, so I completed the app and was approved with a SL of $1200. I don't think I got their into apr offer however.

I should note I do have quite a history with credit but have just begun to clean up. I was added as an AU to my GFs Amex card, after I burned them in a debt settlement CO. Now when I apply to their site, I am getting HPs. So hopefully this gives you some kind of insight, for what to do. Discover pulled my EQ score which was at 636 at the time yesterday. I have a clean paying history for about 8 - 10 months with my current cards now. No lates on any of my loans, just the 5 credit cards (Chase, Amex, 3 Citi cards) I settled back in 2017. Now that I am with Discover, I will be in the garden until maybe Fall 2020 for the holidays again. No longer will be looking for any more cards. 

Hope this helps in some way! and best of luck! Garden as much as you can!!!!

Dre

Message 14 of 15
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

When I first got a new credit card in 2017, my score was close to where you are at (may have been a bit lower). I got instantly approved for the Cap1 Platinum and Chase FU on the same week. When I was preapproved for the FU, I think that was partially due to me already having an account with Chase for the past 13+ years. I would say that your best shot would be Cap1 Platinum or QS1 at the moment. I've heard that Citi likes scores in the mid 600s but also can be weird on who they approve at times. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.