cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Name is Carrie and I Am An App Addict !!!

tag
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

My Name is Carrie and I Am An App Addict !!!

Hi Everyone !!!

I have been reading everything i can for about a week now and my head is spinning. There is sooooo much to take in and its overwhelming.

I decided last week that i need to make some changes to my credit history and figured i would apply for one new card to up my total available credit before i axe an old card. I attempted to get a Chase Freedom and was immediately denied. Instead of waiting and trying later i went on a crazy application spree. There was 1 more denial but did get 5 new accounts.

Then my phone rings and it's Chase. The apologized and said they needed to go over some security questions with me and to review some information. In less than 5 minutes i confirmed everything and hung up with them. I was approved for the card i wanted in the first place!

I am so excited that i wasn't rejected after all but i still want more. It really was supposed to be one card, that's all.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have a hard time fighting the urge to fill out more apps?

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Re: My Name is Carrie and I Am An App Addict !!!

I think we all do. I started this board with two cards. Now I have 6

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 32
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Smiley Sad Yes it's normal the more apps the more denials and toy limits after so many applications. Gardening and controlling the app urge benefits you with higher limits and better APRs.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 32
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Been there, done that and froze all my CRs to help me stay focused on getting better cards in the future and possibly closing some of the store cards I don't use much when that happens.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 32
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

Hmmm i have 7 credit cards now and 4 store accounts. Maybe i should do some downsizing. All of my cards and accounts added up are about one of your low cards. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Message 5 of 32
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@chalupaman wrote:

Been there, done that and froze all my CRs to help me stay focused on getting better cards in the future and possibly closing some of the store cards I don't use much when that happens.

What do you mean by froze all of your CR's?

Message 6 of 32
baller4life
Super Contributor

I know exactly how you feel which is why I froze all my bureaus. Freezing is your friend! Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 32
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

What do you mean by froze all of your CR's?

Bascally it stops lenders from being able to pull up your credit reports when you apply for cards. I paid a total of 9 dollars to have all three of mine frozen and it usually costs something to have them unfrozen. I did two of mine online and had to call Experian and do the process over the phone with them. It doesn't affect soft pulls though or being able to check your FICO score so I wouldn't worry about that.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 8 of 32
baller4life
Super Contributor

Freezing is basically putting a lock on your reports so you won't be able to spontaneously app. New creditors cannot pull your reports while they are frozen. Which would require you to plan apps. To do so would take more effort because you would have to go through the process of thawing your bureaus before apping. It did WONDERS for my urge to just app willy nilly.

Message 9 of 32
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Completely understand what you're saying. Most of us have been there at one point! Putting a security freeze on your reports is a great idea if you want to not obtain any new trade lines. (This is called gardening.) Soft pull credit limit increases are encouraged, however!

Smiley Happy Best of luck and come join us in the garden club!

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.