Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Plan of Action: please critique

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

My Plan of Action: please critique

Hello MyFico Friends!

My goal is to apply for a Chase Freedom and/or Cap1 Venture1 possibly in May of 2017. At such point I will be at 3/24 and no longer automatically disqualified by Chase. 

My current portfolio:

1- Kay Jewellers. CL $6,000

2- Firestone-cfna. Cl $1200

3- cap1 QS1.          Cl $700

4- Barclays MC.      Cl $500

5- Discover.             Cl $4500

6- Care Credit.         Cl $1700

7- cap1 QS1.            Cl $500

My goals per CC account from Feb 2017 through April 2017:

1 Kay- keep and try cli to at least $6500+ it's my largest limit, so I would like to keep it. Not overly worried about uti padding since I will no longer be revolving after the first of the year. So maybe close this account?

2 Firestone- cli to $3,000. Probably close this account. I don't care for Firestone. 

3 cap1 QS1- cli to at least $1,500? Then combine with my other Cap1 QS1

4 Barclays- if this doesn't grow to At least $3,000 by April 2017, I'm closing it. I have had this for 2 years with perfect history and it just won't grow. Its frustrating me!

5 Discover- cli to hopefully $6,000+ This is a forever keeper!

6 Care Credit- grow to At least $3,000+  This could be a long range keeper. I like the 0% promos. 

7 Cap1 QS- grow to At least $1,500 and then combine. 

I'm estimating My score come May 2017 should be close to 720's across the board. At which point I want to apply for cap1 Venture1 and/or Chase Freedom. The above actions should prime My score.  Ultimately, my forever keepers Will be 

1 Discover

2 Cap1

3 Chase Freedom

4 Amex (2021 after BK- last negative falls off)

My 4F'rs- ( fellow Fico friends & family) please critique My plan and offer me direction and guidance where you feel necessary. 

Ultimately, I want to manage fewer accounts, not more. I want larger cl's per account. Hopefully all $6,000+. 

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions, and My apologies for the long winded post! 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Plan of Action: please critique

I don't see any major issues with your plan. Here's my feedback:

1) I don't think a large limit is particularly useful if you won't use the card and don't need util help. While there's no real harm in keeping a card with no annual fee open until the lender closes it, I'm a fan of closing what you aren't using. So I would agree with closing this. 

2) Another one to close if you won't use it. No real harm in keeping it open, but simple is best when it comes to finances.

3) You mentioned "Cap1" as a forever card, but which? I think QS, rather than QS1, would be a good card to hold onto. Are you going for an upgrade to the no annual fee version, or what is your plan?

4) Do you use it for anything? I assume this is the Rewards version, which isn't great. If you aren't using it, consider just closing it.

5) Definitely hang onto Discover!

6) Fair enough, if your physicians accept it, it can be helpful. Don't forget to add it to your forever keepers list.

7) Ok. Don't forget to try to get the non-AF version.

Why apply for a Venture1? What does it add for you? Are you sure there aren't any other Chase cards, since you will stop being 5/24 eligible again after getting Freedom+V1 while 3/24?

Otherwise, looks good. Garden strong!

Message 2 of 7
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Works for me. The only suggestion I'd make is perhaps try to PC to the Care Credit Mastercard. That will certainly grow. And like Salt water said perhaps add another Chase card while you can. Personally I think you're gonna qualify for plenty by the spring.

Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nice plan Grill! Discover is a no brainer lol!, nice cl by the way. i like the duggestion for the Care Credit mc but not sure if thats only offered like the mythical pennies mc lol. There has been some rumblings about possible not getting a hp for a cli with them but im sure you could call and get that with a big cli if you wanted.

Unfortunately i have no experience with cap one as i cant one due to where i live but from i see , seems to be a ccc that has great ability to combine and create mega card haha!.

The Firestone, probably keep it for now if only to have in case of emergency for your car. Im sure you can use other cc if not happy so thats your call. I understand frustration on a car card that wont give breathing room lol.

I know the Chase cards seem to be real good for getting those UR points or whatever they are called lol. So just make sure to evaluate what you want to get out of them when it comes time. Stay well my friend, just a couple months to go so plenty of time to shore up the bases hahaSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 7
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't see any major issues with your plan. Here's my feedback:

1) I don't think a large limit is particularly useful if you won't use the card and don't need util help. While there's no real harm in keeping a card with no annual fee open until the lender closes it, I'm a fan of closing what you aren't using. So I would agree with closing this. 

Why apply for a Venture1? What does it add for you? Are you sure there aren't any other Chase cards, since you will stop being 5/24 eligible again after getting Freedom+V1 while 3/24?

Otherwise, looks good. Garden strong!

Thanks for your input, saltwater. I think I will end up closing Kay's. It's definitely an awesome rebuilder card. They've been great, but time to move on.  

In considering V1 over regular Venture because I believed they offer 0% for 12 months exclusively? Am I mistaken?? 

I will definitely look at other Chase cards b4 I "block" myself out of eligibility. Thanks for your input, it's very much appreciated. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 7
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@805orbust wrote:
Works for me. The only suggestion I'd make is perhaps try to PC to the Care Credit Mastercard. That will certainly grow. And like Salt water said perhaps add another Chase card while you can. Personally I think you're gonna qualify for plenty by the spring.

The Care Credit MC would definitely be a good way to go. I heard that's by "invite only," but something definitely worth looking into.

Thanks for Your input 805- Btw, I Love S.B/Ventura! 

Message 6 of 7
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Nice plan Grill! 

Unfortunately i have no experience with cap one as i cant one due to where i live but from i see , seems to be a ccc that has great ability to combine and create mega card haha!

I know the Chase cards seem to be real good for getting those UR points or whatever they are called lol. So just make sure to evaluate what you want to get out of them when it comes time. Stay well my friend, just a couple months to go so plenty of time to shore up the bases hahaSmiley Happy

How come you can't get a Cap1 card? Where state do you live in? I'm assuming somewhere in the eastern time zone since you seem to be up pretty early in the morning! 

Anyhow, I'm hoping long term (2018)  to get at least 10k out of cap1. I don't really need more. 

I definitely want to try for the UR points and convert to the various travel partners. Seems like that's the big rage when it comes to travel rewards points. 

Thanks AvgJoe, for your always insightful input! 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.