Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Total Rewards Fraud Alert Thanksgiving

tag
WowCool
Frequent Contributor

My Total Rewards Fraud Alert Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day I get a fraud alet text in regards to my Total Rewards Visa for $260 charge on booking dotcom. Of course I text back "NO" and I get an instant call from fraud department. They tell me they cancelled the charge for the $260 "BUT," there had been a charge that they DID NOT catch  a few minutes prior for $360 for a Hotel  in Bratislava Slovakia . Thats in Europe folks and a long ways from Texas. How the fraud department did'nt catch that is anyones guess. Anyways they canceled the card & sending new, and there disputing the charge. But for now I'm the proud owner of the charge. Oh and here is the icing on the cake, I just checked my TR account and noticed I just got charged the FTF for the fraudsters Hotel stay. 

NotCool

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: My Total Rewards Fraud Alert Thanksgiving

Wow, not cool indeed, wonder if they baught a hotel for a nickelSmiley Wink. Sorry to hear about fraud tday but at least it was semi caughtSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 8
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

What happens if we have 40 credit cards??  Then we'll need to spend our time to sort this out.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to let you know that I know what you're going through...

My bank debit card had fraudulent charges last August from an online website originating in Jordan.  Earlier this year, I had some fraudulent charges originating from the UK.  My bank caught both only after the first charges went through.  If the charges are small-ish (both were under $300) the lender will ignore it on the first activity.  The bad news was that in both instances the first charges were credited against my bank account.  I had to file a fraud alert with my bank each time and was refunded within 2 business days.  Needless to say, I decided after the second incident (fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me!) to stop using my debit card and transition back to using credit cards.

My Cap1 card had a fraudulent online charge attempt earlier this month.  I had used it extensively for travel 2 months ago, so someone made a copy of the card and security code... The only good thing was that I locked my Cap1 card in preparation for holiday travel.  Paranoid mainly and didn't want to have any balance before I left town. Fortunately, the charge was declined and I was notified immediately.  

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  For me, I just had to become super paranoid and vigilant of all my accounts (I check daily, and one a couple cards a few times a day.)  TR should make everything right, it might take a few days though.

Message 4 of 8
peghede
Valued Contributor

$360 for a hotel in bratislava its about right.they have som for 800 euros.nice city.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AJC I am so glad that I wasn't the only person to go there with Bratislava! Scotty doesn't know!
Message 6 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Roflol, for real SlightyRemovedSmiley Happy, that made me laugh, sorry op ( we are with you you, fraud stinks to put it nicely) . The image popped into my head as soon as i read Scotty doesnt know, indeed he doesnt but at least there is always AbsinthSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man that really bites. TR will fix it. I hope.......

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.