Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My cards I was/wasn't able to freeze/lock

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

My cards I was/wasn't able to freeze/lock

So, as kind of a follow up to my previous thread of where my Navy card had fraud on it,  I decided to do a little more research into freezing or locking my cards with current lenders. The more I thought about it, the more I decided it was a good thing. 

The following cards/lenders I was able to lock/freeze.....

~Navy credit 

~Navy Debit

~Chase Amazon Visa

~Cap1 Venture

~Discover it

~Sams Club Mastercard

The following card/lenders did NOT have the feature to freeze or lock (that I could find), and a few I was surprised the feature wasnt offered....

~My store cards (not surprised)

~Nordstrom Visa

~Alliant Visa

~Penfed Visa

~US Bank Visa 

~BOFA Mastercard

~USAA Visa

Hopefully unlocking the cards when I need too will be a painless act as I would mostly end up doing it via mobile app, and actually unfreeze instantly in their system with no wait or lag time.  Curious if others take advantage of this feature, or not?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: My cards I was/wasn't able to freeze/lock

@pizza1 wrote:

Hopefully unlocking the cards when I need too will be a painless act as I would mostly end up doing it via mobile app, and actually unfreeze instantly in their system with no wait or lag time.  Curious if others take advantage of this feature, or not?

Only if I've actually misplaced a card...not as a regular state for a SDed one.

It certainly is useful.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have only froze a discover card that I left at a restarant. Super easy to unfreeze.

Message 3 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

4 of my 7 cards have this feature, but I haven’t had to use it yet.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

pizza1 USAA allows for the "Block" or "Unblock" all credit and bank cards. Go to the very bottom of the landing page and scroll through the options. Actually pulled it up to check and everything was there.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

pizza1 ... great post of good usable information! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Woohoo for frozen cards lol!

To add to the DPs,

BBVA - freeze in app

SSFCU - freeze on website 

Sync PayPal - nope 👎 

Message 7 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

pizza1 USAA allows for the "Block" or "Unblock" all credit and bank cards. Go to the very bottom of the landing page and scroll through the options. Actually pulled it up to check and everything was there.

+1

It's easy-peasy using the app as well.  While looking at the card's transactions, click the 'three dots' (on Android) in the upper-right corner to open the 'Account Menu' and it's the third option. 

I tried to take a screen shot, but the USAA app permissions won't allow it.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can lock/unlock BofA checking account debit cards. It's easy through the mobile app.

I do not have a credit card through them so I can't verify on that end.

USAA also has this feature.

Message 9 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

The question though is.....How do lenders look at you just freezing your cards at will for "no real reason", and just leaving the freeze in place.

The freeze or lock is there if you "misplaced your card until you find it again', and "if you think your card was stolen". But what about just freezing because you want too, and freezing/unfreezing it multiple times possibly a month?

Does that raise a red flag on your account or with the lender?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.